Failing every day :(

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    coops3180 wrote: »
    I dont know whats wrong with me im gradually gaining more and more and movibg into the overweight bracket. Every day I start off really well and have a healthy breakfast, snack and lunch but i when get home from work around 3pm, I just start eating loads of sweet stuff until im full!!! im aware its really bad for me and i hate myself after but its happening every day, I just dont know what to do or what diet to go on.. I need to lose about 18 lbs! but just dont know how im going to do it with this binge eating stuff when I get home from work :( any advice would be appreciated.. On here it says I need 1200 kcals but I dont know how to stick to that and not be starving or craving sweet stuff...

First of all 1200 is based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week." If you want more food, if 1200 is not practical for you (not for me either). Find a number you can live with for awhile.

1. Change your weekly goal to something lower (1/2 - 1 pound a week tops).
    OR
    2. Add exercise & eat 50% of those calories also

When you say "healthy breakfast" does this mean it's substantially different from your old breakfast? To lose weight you need to make some changes....but to keep the weight off you also need to LIVE some of those changes....forever.

Instead of making lots of changes, or radical changes....make a few changes. Live with those awhile, then tweak as needed.

I "allow" myself a sugary snack every day. I save it for the end of the day. I know that giving up sugary treats is not a forever change. BUT, sugary treats whenever I want....has to stop.

Eating when you get home from work....bring an extra snack to work to eat on the way home. I like an apple and celery sticks. This way I've had my snack when I walk in the door. Too many choices at home.
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain regarding junk in the house (I've got 3 kids and dh eats like one and is a rail). I gained a bunch after being sedentary and depressed after spine surgery and have about 20 to lose.

My initial thought was to increase your protein intake and maybe set your calorie goal up 100 calories and see if you're satisfied. I know people have differing opinions about protein powders and such, but in some cases if they can keep you from going off the deep end, I feel that it's worth it. I personally like the Quest Protein Chips, Quest Protein Bars, and Luna Bars. I also occasionally mix a scoop of chocolate protein powder with almond milk and add it to coffee as a chocolatey snack. I use a couple of brands, one from Costco, and one from GNC and they have 20+ grams of protein per scoop. I don't do these add-ins every day, but sometimes when I feel like I'm going to come unhinged and eat all the oreos in the house, it helps!

Best of luck!
  • Zmac34
    Zmac34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would say increase your fiber, and nutrient dense foods like veggies to increase your volume and perhaps utilize sprints or HIT training so you can consume more calories while still losing weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    How much have you set yourself to lose a week? You could be starting off too high.

I find it best, if you know you have a tendency to overeat in the evening, to have less in the cupboards that I'm likely to eat/snack on. I usually buy one chocolate bar rather than the four pack because then I can only eat one instead of four!

I have 4 kids so theres always loads of snacks in the house :/

i have two kids and dont keep hardly any junk in the house ....

next excuse?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe you need to work the sweets into your calories. So that you aren't feeling deprived. I also find that preplanning my day is infinitely helpful to keeping me on track. Can you eat a snack at the end of your work day before you get home? Something satisfying so that you aren't ravenous when you get there. I work until 4:30pm and usually have a snack at 4pm so that when I get home after 5pm, I'm not so hungry that I make poor decisions. Fit some treats into your day and plan for them. Deprivation is not sustainable. Friend me if you like! My diary is open.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I havent filled it in properly but today for instance I had bran flakes for breakfast, Apple for snack a small wholemeal philadelphia light and Marmite sandwich..when I got hom I had 3 digestives 2 cookies 2 kitkats and a pack of crisps :( nightmare

I realize that you aren't that big so may get the low calories, regardless (although try .5 lb/week and see, if you aren't already there). You can earn more calories by increasing the walking and exercise, if possible.

The first thing you need to do is feel in control and stop eating uncontrollably after work. I bet if you did that you'd lose, even if somewhat slowly (which at your weight would be fine).

What I see here is that you aren't eating much before getting home, and that's going to make it harder to resist. Also, it helps to play around with food choice to try and find what's more filling.

Bran flakes and an apple are great, but not many calories and mostly carbs. Maybe try adding more protein (eggs, a greek yogurt with berries among many other options) and vegetables. Also maybe just increase calories, especially at lunch. I don't really know what Marmite is, and it looks like it has lots of protein, but I don't know how much you are eating, and that lunch seems again pretty carb heavy (some benefit from more fat, too). I'd maybe try adding a vegetable soup or a salad or salad with protein as an alternative. Also, maybe try eating 600-700 calories earlier in the day (what you listed sounds like less) and see if that allows you to wait and have a normal dinner with the remaining calories. Or, in the alternative, keep calories as is but have a PLANNED snack with protein for when you get home, instead of just grabbing what's around.

It just takes some experimenting.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat 3/4th of my calories after 4pm. I have coffee for breakfast 200 calories or so for lunch then I spend my evening either having a 1000 calorie dinner or grazing all night on snacks.

If you need to eat more at night move some calories around so you can. Despite common belief not everyone needs to start the day with a healthy breakfast.

• Fcc2023
    Fcc2023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »
    I eat 3/4th of my calories after 4pm. I have coffee for breakfast 200 calories or so for lunch then I spend my evening either having a 1000 calorie dinner or grazing all night on snacks.

If you need to eat more at night move some calories around so you can. Despite common belief not everyone needs to start the day with a healthy breakfast.

I may try that sounds like it could work..I just find since ive hit 30 im starving all the time I used to be so good and careful with good but not in the past few years :/
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I also save the majority of calories for after work. I also pre log as often as I can, and work a little junk into my daily diet.

When I want more than I should have I don't clear out the house. I take myself out of the house. The first few times of telling myself "That's enough. No more." Were the hardest. It gets easier every time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    More protein and fat, less carbs. It seems to me that you're eating mostly carbs, and it's a recipe for disaster.
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    For starters, you only have 18 pounds to lose. Set your weight loss goal for 1/2 pound per week. It will leave you at a reasonable deficit and won't leave you feeling like you're starving and then running for the sweets. Get yourself a digital scale, and start weighing all solids and measuring all liquids for more accurate measurement of actual calories consumed. I think you will find that you will be able to fit in a little bit of sweet each day and not feel quite so miserable. Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice I know I need to do weigh stuff etc but with work and 4 children ive become lazy with doing stuff like that and reching for whatever is easy.. And sweet!!
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    More protein and fat, less carbs. It seems to me that you're eating mostly carbs, and it's a recipe for disaster.

True I did start the 90 day sss plan before Xmas and git 3 weeks in doing well..then Christmas came and I f'ed up I was so close to completing cycle one but I didnt...annoyed with myself
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. 3 p.m. kills me. You have to find something to fill that time and stay away from food. Walk, schedule errands then, anything to get out of the house and stay busy.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My trigger is that once the kids are in bed for the night, I sit down to watch TV and immediately start thinking about snacking. I'm a sucker for sweets as well.

The change I made was to go to bed soon after my kids do. Once they go to bed, I brush my teeth and then watch television for an hour, and then I head to bed myself. By brushing my teeth is sways me away from eating at night, and kind of "sets me up" to be ready to go to bed.

Not only am I not doing the night-time binge snack thing, but I'm getting more sleep as a result as well.

And when I do want a sweet - I log it. No matter how big or small.

I think you definitely need to increase from 1200 calories a day - that's not sustainable in the long-term.
  • Lo0BLu
    Lo0BLu Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been amazed at what a life saver Oat So Simple pots have been for me. I had Caramel flavour today and it was LOVELY!! Filling and balanced snack.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lo0BLu wrote: »
    I have been amazed at what a life saver Oat So Simple pots have been for me. I had Caramel flavour today and it was LOVELY!! Filling and balanced snack.

I love porridge but I don't find it filling at all
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    A) eat the food you normally eat all day, just in appropriate portions, if you want to change your diet, do it more slowly.
    B)raise your caloric goal to something manageable, maybe just a 200-300 cals under your maintenance amount... you can work your way down again if you want, but slowly.
    C) find things to do in the evening that will keep your mind off food (walk, read, go to the gym, get a hobby.) it is too easy to sit in front of the tv and eat.
    D) Whatever you have to do to stop yourself from binging, do it. I mean, even seek help in necessary. but stop. period.
  • mzjoneznyabonez
    mzjoneznyabonez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you know whats trigger you to eat the food choices you're eating? Are you hungry and those are all the options? Are you bored or emotionally eating? Can you get rid of the snacks and sweets?
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    My trigger is that once the kids are in bed for the night, I sit down to watch TV and immediately start thinking about snacking. I'm a sucker for sweets as well.

The change I made was to go to bed soon after my kids do. Once they go to bed, I brush my teeth and then watch television for an hour, and then I head to bed myself. By brushing my teeth is sways me away from eating at night, and kind of "sets me up" to be ready to go to bed.

Not only am I not doing the night-time binge snack thing, but I'm getting more sleep as a result as well.

And when I do want a sweet - I log it. No matter how big or small.

I think you definitely need to increase from 1200 calories a day - that's not sustainable in the long-term.
    OMG I totally do the same thing on the nights I'm struggling. I even take it a couple of steps further--I set up the coffee pot for the morning, get the cats' food out for the next feeding, get everything set up so the whole house is in "ready for the morning" mode. I brush, floss, and mouthwash, and then either put some TV on or get in bed with my iPad. When I do all that, in my mind I'm just like, "Ok, everything is ready for the morning. Eating for the day is over. Let's focus on something else." I usually skip exercising on those nights, because about an hour after my workout I'm absolutely DYING for food.
  • MikeyCarter1974
    MikeyCarter1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dont know whats wrong with me im gradually gaining more and more and movibg into the overweight bracket. Every day I start off really well and have a healthy breakfast, snack and lunch but i when get home from work around 3pm, I just start eating loads of sweet stuff until im full!!! im aware its really bad for me and i hate myself after but its happening every day, I just dont know what to do or what diet to go on.. I need to lose about 18 lbs! but just dont know how im going to do it with this binge eating stuff when I get home from work :( any advice would be appreciated.. On here it says I need 1200 kcals but I dont know how to stick to that and not be starving or craving sweet stuff...

Don't know if your got your answer or not but here's my 2 cents. (and these are just the things that worked for me so it's not saying I'm an expert or anything)

First don't diet... change your life style. Dieting, typically, means your planning to stop and the goal should be to change your life and have weight loss as a side effect.

Plan in the treats, my vice is chocolate covered almonds... so I put the 800 calories into the plan... so I'm having it on the days after 2 hours of trampolining or something. (where I was easily burning 1000-1500 calories)

Support, kids don't need junk food any more than adults. So would help if they change with you... got a lot of resistance from my daughter on that.... but we've been sticking to on sweet treat a week. Something else that can help is separate the snacks. Out of mind sort of thing.

Protein. It burns ~30% of the calories to process. so keep your protein percentage where it should be. And watch some of the protein sources... some have a high fat/calorie count to go with it.

Lower salt.... one thing I've found is the high calorie foods are usually the processed, and high in salt. (my life style change was to lower blood pressure so this was a big one for me)

Be partly vegetarian (wife's mostly vegan). I have a steak maybe once a month... mostly eat chicken for protein, because it's closer to just pure protein... point was to reduce the meat in take. If you start trying to go vegetarian you end up cutting out a lot of the high fat foods.

Pick inefficient foods. Mars bar is packed with energy... celery or no sugar yogourt is mostly packed with water. My evening snack, after my evening routine, is usually 200-300g of low calorie yogourt, with a very small amount of dark chocolate chips, with maybe a banana. (granted my evening routines usually include some crazy activity)

Fitness. The more fit you are the better you burn the calories. I started with a resting heart rate of 80-90bpm, and a blood pressure something 146/101. Now my blood pressure is normal and my resting heart rate is 42bpm... every since I got fit I find it's easier to work with the cravings. Sometimes just walking out the door and walking around the block is enough to help with any cravings... also a good way to separate if your eating because your hungry or because it's there.

On the 1200 kcals? seems really low. My base calories to lose 2lbs a week is little under 2,000 calories... which goes all out of walk when you add exercise.