Macros for BULKING

Options
I am 5'1 and I weigh 113 pounds and my goal is 125. I'm not sure what my macros should be set as. I work out 6 days a week lifting weights and I also follow the traditional PPL split.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally, 1g of protein lb of of lean body mass (although, you can play it safe with 1g per lb of weight), .35g+ of fat, rest carbs..
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Generally, 1g of protein lb of of lean body mass (although, you can play it safe with 1g per lb of weight), .35g+ of fat, rest carbs..

That...but also ensure that the total puts you into a slight calorie surplus. Monkeying with macros won't put on any mass if you're not eating enough in total.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eat at a surplus, and have high protein high carb low fat meals before and after your exercise (30 to 40% of your daily intake of carbs should be in these meals).

When bulking, I find high carb days excellent on workout days. I go with 35%pro/45%carb/20%fat on workout days, and 40%pro/35%carb/25%fat on non-workout days.

Edit: also props for the PPL split - it's an excellent program!
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to go over 20% P if you don't lift extremely heavy weights. Keep carbs under 50%.
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to go over 20% P if you don't lift extremely heavy weights. Keep carbs under 50%.
    why would you keep carbs under 50% on a bulk?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I'm sorry this is horrible advice for someone looking to bulk.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Protein 1g per 1lb of bodyweight (maximum)
    Fats 0.4g per 1lb of bodyweight

Use carbs to make up the rest to your calorie goal.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Eat big...lift big....sleep big. Watch the mirror, scale, and strength progression. General it's .8-1.2 grams of protein per lb of body weight, .4-.6 for fat, and fill the rest with carbs, but having a diverse diet and tracking progress through the list I said above is a lot less stressful.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm sorry this is horrible advice for someone looking to bulk.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why would you keep carbs under 50% on a bulk?
    Aye my bad...didn't know person was bulking Haha didn't read the title