Talking on the phone at the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I am self employed but do not have the space or the equipment to work out at home. I usually work out after business hours, but even then I will sometimes receive an unexpected call from a client. Am I going to take a call from a client when my livelihood depends on my client relationships? Absolutely. Am I going to try to keep it short? Absolutely. Am I going to pack up my phone, towel, water bottle and leave the workout floor if it seems like it's going to be an extended conversation? Yes. Am I going to do it otherwise and give up my treadmill or spot in the squat rack? No. My gym doesn't have any rules or signs about cell phone usage. It's all about simple common courtesy and being both considerate and tolerant of other people in a shared space.

Good for you! The whole difference is that you are being considerate of others. Lots of cell phone jabberers pay no attention to anyone but themselves. Those are the people that are annoying.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Or set up a home gym, or switch to a gym with stricter rules and that enforces them.

It's not neuroticto let rudeness bother you. It's normal. If you think the chatterbox next to you is watching your treadmill console or chatting to annoy you explicitly or something, that's neurotic. :)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Haha, definitely don't think I'm being watched. That neuroticism generally shows up when I'm running alone outside (damn crime shows). ;)

I'm very lucky to have a gym where I work so I guess I can't complain too much. I'll work on not letting it get to me if it happens again.