Pcos help

Options
Anyone else on here that has pcos? If so what works best for you calorie and macro wise? I know we're all different but im curious :)

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have you done any research?
    This site looked very useful.
    http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/the-best-pcos-diet/
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I try to reduce the amount of simple carbs and refined sugar. When we were trying to conceive, I did low carb, and that combined with metformin helped get pregnant twice. Now I'm just trying to be healthy and realistic. I know that my symptoms worsen when I eat a ton of sugar and processed carby junk, so life is easier avoiding it. I know that while most women gain at TOM, my body holds on to water when I ovulate and I blow up like a balloon. Listen to your body and it will tell you what to do to feel healthiest
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been told by some doctors that I have this, and told by others that I do not. Is there a real way to test for it, or is it a cluster of symptoms?
  • beckakr90
    beckakr90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been told by some doctors that I have this, and told by others that I do not. Is there a real way to test for it, or is it a cluster of symptoms?

It's a syndrome hun so a combination of symptoms. The way it is diagnosed is if you hit at least two out of three of the main factors which are:
    - Over 12 follicles per ovary, this is diagnosed via an ultrasound scan.
    - High testosterone levels, this is determined by a blood test but can manifest itself by causing excess bodily hair, e.g. Facial hair.
    - Irregular or non-existent periods.

It's such a rubbish thing to have because it does affect us all differently but it's always in such negative ways!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have been told low carb as well but I find it hard to fallow
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it in 2006 and was put on metformin. In 2014 I was diagnosed with t2 diabetes. So now I count carbs & calories and have lost 85 lbs. My blood sugar is now back in non-diabetic territory. (I'm not cured of course, but it feels good nonetheless.) I follow the IIFYM way of eating. (if it fits your macros) I eat what I want as long as it fits my calories /fat/protein /carbs allotment. Speaking which, I still have oreo cookie left to eat...
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I reduced my carbs and take Metformin. But I love carbs, so I tried the Glycemic Index and it works for me! So I can eat more carbs if they are low-GI. I have a glucose meter, so it's easy to see the real effects of food on my BG.

Metformin still didn't fix my hormone imbalance enough (I also have endometriosis, btw). So I take Prometrium bio-identical Rx progesterone daily to cut down further on overproduction of estrogen. I used to take the synthetic but that had far more side effects for me.

Exercise seems to help more with weight loss than it should for me and always has (I've had PCOS forever). I'm not sure what that's about, because I'm not into vigorous exercise, but maybe add a little in if you don't already and see if it makes a huge difference :) It also helps the IR part of PCOS, so it gets key eventually anyway.