Eating on a budget! (Needing YOUR foods!)

Options
13»

Replies

• pamelamrowe91
    pamelamrowe91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    This post is great!
    But what about meals for a family on a budget?

And, to make things more difficult... =).. I have a super picky husband. I mean, barely any onions, no peppers, little tomatoes, no mushrooms.. hates broccoli, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes... Mexican foods can sometimes hurt his stomach and same thing with beans (we've learned to only eat these on the weekend so it doesn't affect his work days/nights).. and soups don't fill him up enough. He does love green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, chicken, fish, and beef.... But I get so bored and feel so limited on what I can make.... Any suggestions??
    And we really don't have the budget (nor do I have the time) for me to always cook my own meals.

My husband eats beef, broccoli, canned green beans, potatoes, plain pasta and bread. No other meats (except chicken but no more than once a month). No other veggies. No butter. No cheese. No beans. Only banannas for fruit....but i think he had one 4-5 months ago? Thats it.

I cook for me and the kids. He often has cereal for dinner. Or a pb sandwich.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! lol
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    The slow cooker is one of the best cooking tools ever!
    Unfortunately, the slow cooking destroys a lot of nutritional value along the way, in particular the vitamins. Pressure cookers are a *much* better tool.

My family eats a lot of lentils, beans and dry peas. The pressure cooker is wonderful, and doubly so because we live at 6300 feet.

Where do you get this information? I really can't find anything to verify it.

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not updated as often as it used to be, but Poor Girl Eats Well http://poorgirleatswell.blogspot.com/ has some good ideas.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Chicken noodle soup is cheap and easy to make, and makes a big pot with about 4 leg quarters. Easy on the calories too!