Why is my belly area not going down

Options

Replies

• ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eliminate starchy foods and sugar. Best wishes.

Are you able to provide any evidence, or maybe just a rationale as to why doing this would have any effect on the fatty tissue that OP is talking about?

While it May not be scientifically based I have noticed that once cutting out extra sugar and starches I have been less bloated in my stomach. Giving me the feeling of it getting smaller
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? I bet you have had some change, you just cant see it. Keep at it
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere recently that typical weight loss goes like this: Out then In.

That means that you lose weight in your fingers, face, calves. Then the forearms, the thighs, then the upper arms, shoulders, hips.

The last to go is the abdomen and torso and they linked this to an evolutionary advantage, although now I can't remember why. I wish I could find the page I read.

In any case, everyone is different, but I certainly lost my weight in this order. I have about 10 pounds left to lose and it's all in my torso.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You said yourself you still have 40lbs to go, give it time and your belly will reduce along with the rest of your body...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

That means that you lose weight in your fingers, face, calves. Then the forearms, the thighs, then the upper arms, shoulders, hips.

The last to go is the abdomen and torso and they linked this to an evolutionary advantage, although now I can't remember why. I wish I could find the page I read.

In any case, everyone is different, but I certainly lost my weight in this order. I have about 10 pounds left to lose and it's all in my torso.

It protects your torso which houses all your squishy organs.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    ama3387 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eliminate starchy foods and sugar. Best wishes.

Are you able to provide any evidence, or maybe just a rationale as to why doing this would have any effect on the fatty tissue that OP is talking about?

While it May not be scientifically based I have noticed that once cutting out extra sugar and starches I have been less bloated in my stomach. Giving me the feeling of it getting smaller

Nowhere in the OP is there any mention of gastrointestinal bloating being a problem.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    For s female, according to the cosmetic surgeon who performed my tummy tuck, you can diet and exercise and never see the success that you would like in your tummy area. I had the cosmetic surgical procedure and I am very pleased with the result. My tummy is flat. Worth the investment to have it done. You will love the results.

Of course that's what a cosmetic surgeon would say. They'd go broke if they told everyone that all they have to do is cut calories and stick with it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

It protects your torso which houses all your squishy organs.

Yeah, that's probably it. It's where the important bits are. :)
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    For s female, according to the cosmetic surgeon who performed my tummy tuck, you can diet and exercise and never see the success that you would like in your tummy area. I had the cosmetic surgical procedure and I am very pleased with the result. My tummy is flat. Worth the investment to have it done. You will love the results.

Of course that's what a cosmetic surgeon would say. They'd go broke if they told everyone that all they have to do is cut calories and stick with it.

I'm pretty sure even 30 pounds lighter my stomach - post 3 csection babies will never look the same as it did as a young adult.

Sometimes surgery is the last resort for a sleeker final look.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess it's silly of me to get upset about my belly anyway. The alternative (continuing to gain weight) was certainly not the answer. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

And yes, my belly was the first place I started to gain weight in years ago. So I'm guessing it'll just be the last area to go.

It's not silly to get frustrated. If we were complacent we wouldn't have gotten up and started moving.

What everyone else has said is correct about not spot reducing but I didn't see anyone mention visceral fat. This is a fat deposit in your abdominal cavity that hangs out around some of your internal organs, most notably your liver. Your body really loves to hang on to this one so it's going to most likely be the very last thing that gets worked off.
  • coletteg67
    coletteg67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BTW... Congratulations on losing 28 pounds so far! That's a great accomplishment, especially with 5 children. Keep up the good work!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I guess it's silly of me to get upset about my belly anyway. The alternative (continuing to gain weight) was certainly not the answer. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

And yes, my belly was the first place I started to gain weight in years ago. So I'm guessing it'll just be the last area to go.

It's not silly to get frustrated. If we were complacent we wouldn't have gotten up and started moving.

What everyone else has said is correct about not spot reducing but I didn't see anyone mention visceral fat. This is a fat deposit in your abdominal cavity that hangs out around some of your internal organs, most notably your liver. Your body really loves to hang on to this one so it's going to most likely be the very last thing that gets worked off.

This is the kind that responds really well to exercise, though! So folks shouldn't leave out exercise if they can help it at all.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You have had five children and unfortunately a lot of women are bigger in this area afterwards and some need to consider plastic surgery. Be proud and congrats on your weight loss!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

That's fabulous for people with money to blow on that. For me, that's a fantasy that will never happen and while it is an option, it's not a realistic one for a lot of people.

My belly is my nemesis. It's the last place I lose and the first place it sticks back on. I will just keep on keepin' on and hope one day it gets a little flatter.
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

For many women dieting and exercise doesn't flatten the ab area and especially after losing weight, and pregnancies there is also muscle damages in need of repair that exercise does not take care of. When I had my abdominalplasty (Tummy Tuck) I went from a size 16 pant size to a 10-12. You are highly misinformed and naive if you actually believe that plastic surgeons lie to be able to perform abdominalplasties. They would lose their hospital privileges immediately and their medical licenses would be revoked.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Well I'm just worried about why the fat is not leaving that area yet. I'm not too worried about saggy skin. I know that's bound to happen after having children or just carrying so much weight there in general.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options

No it's not. There's nothing wrong with disliking a part of your body. I'd deck anybody who told me to just like my body the way it is. It's my body, **** off. As long as you can look forward and you're not obsessing over it, it's okay to desire something different. And the best news in the world is that if you still don't like it once you get to goal weight (I bet you will though), you can engage in some strength training to alter it's shape. Lots of options, lots to look forward to:)

Thank you. Once I finally get there it's good to know that strength training may help.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight everywhere, some parts even too much, yet my belly still protrudes like I'm pregnant! There's a pic in my profile that I took a couple of days ago (black pants, red tanktop) that shows what I mean :cry:

You don't look pregnant in that photo! I think half the problem is you are turning your upper body towards the mirror but your waist is still facing away. You should feel proud of your progress, I think you look great!

No it's not. There's nothing wrong with disliking a part of your body. I'd deck anybody who told me to just like my body the way it is. It's my body, **** off. As long as you can look forward and you're not obsessing over it, it's okay to desire something different. And the best news in the world is that if you still don't like it once you get to goal weight (I bet you will though), you can engage in some strength training to alter it's shape. Lots of options, lots to look forward to:)

Thank you. Once I finally get there it's good to know that strength training may help.

Don't wait! Doing strength training now will help you to look more toned, have better strength, and retain more muscle as you lose weight. Otherwise you are losing fat AND muscle as you lose weight. Everyone on here who lost the weight than started strength training later has said if they could do it all over again they would have started lifting as they lost. I say this as someone who keeps trying to make it a regular habit and failing, but hey, good intentions.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I've lost weight everywhere, some parts even too much, yet my belly still protrudes like I'm pregnant! There's a pic in my profile that I took a couple of days ago (black pants, red tanktop) that shows what I mean :cry:

You don't look pregnant in that photo! I think half the problem is you are turning your upper body towards the mirror but your waist is still facing away. You should feel proud of your progress, I think you look great!

Don't wait! Doing strength training now will help you to look more toned, have better strength, and retain more muscle as you lose weight. Otherwise you are losing fat AND muscle as you lose weight. Everyone on here who lost the weight than started strength training later has said if they could do it all over again they would have started lifting as they lost. I say this as someone who keeps trying to make it a regular habit and failing, but hey, good intentions.

Thanks so much for that advice. I don't have access to a gym so I'm going on Google now to see what strength training exercises I can do at home.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If feel your pain. When I was younger my boobs were the first to go when I lost weight. I didn't have much of a belly. Now it's my stomach that gets bigger first when I gain. I'm going to blame that on menopause and old age. Totally just an opinion. My goal is to lose 22 more pounds, then I'll re-evaluate the belly and see if I need to lose more or if I'm happy with the way I look and feel. Your attitude is good, good luck!