Not losing weight despite exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    We'll if that's the case I'll stick to calorie counting for a while then with the exercise and see how I get on. If it's purely as simple as I'm crap at maths and slimming world is wrong.

Plug in your information here (weight, age, gender, height, activity level - best to leave it at sedentary so you can see the calculations to maintain your current weight, lose or gain 1 or 2 pounds per week.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Then accurately measure - or as best as you can honestly muster - everything you put into your mouth. Most tend to underestimate what goes in, and overestimate what gets burned during exercise. That leads to the bad math of CICO and results in one not losing weight, or being stalled, etc.

10 Weeks to the day yesterday by targeting about 1 pound of weight loss per week, and using the calculations from that link above, my report chart has resulted in a 12.4 loss for the 10 weeks...

24664125350_097a57a48a_o.jpgDecember2nd-February11

Entered l the details and it's 1405 for 1lb a week weightloss and 905 for 2lb a week. 1905 to maintain.

Will continue with my current exercise plan but change it up a bit and do some strength based as well as the cardio.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    We'll if that's the case I'll stick to calorie counting for a while then with the exercise and see how I get on. If it's purely as simple as I'm crap at maths and slimming world is wrong.

Plug in your information here (weight, age, gender, height, activity level - best to leave it at sedentary so you can see the calculations to maintain your current weight, lose or gain 1 or 2 pounds per week.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Then accurately measure - or as best as you can honestly muster - everything you put into your mouth. Most tend to underestimate what goes in, and overestimate what gets burned during exercise. That leads to the bad math of CICO and results in one not losing weight, or being stalled, etc.

10 Weeks to the day yesterday by targeting about 1 pound of weight loss per week, and using the calculations from that link above, my report chart has resulted in a 12.4 loss for the 10 weeks...

24664125350_097a57a48a_o.jpgDecember2nd-February11

Entered l the details and it's 1405 for 1lb a week weightloss and 905 for 2lb a week. 1905 to maintain.

Will continue with my current exercise plan but change it up a bit and do some strength based as well as the cardio.

That sounds about right, 1405 calories to get a 1 pound weight loss per week. Mine is currently 1670 calories per day to lose 1 pound (that's for my age, gender, and height). And it has been working very well. When playing both sides of the equation for CI/CO - the more exercise you do, then your daily amount of calories you are allowed to eat rises. I do love to eat, so I take advantage of that when I can. However, one must remain diligent and not eat back all of the exercise calories. That way you will stay on track with the weight loss. Mainly because we tend to overestimate what we burn, and underestimate what we eat. So having a cushion of 100 - 500 calories deficit usually makes up for any and all estimation mistakes. If not, well adjust until things are going in the right direction.

All the best!
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is could be one of 2 things you either under eating or over eating.
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    Well I've been tracking alongside following slimming world principles and it's working. I lost 4lb this week. Have been going easy on the carbs though, seems as though too many potatoes may have been making me bloated too. Making better choices food wise too.

Carrying on with my clubbercise (high intensity aerobics) and hula hoop but have also added in an hours spin class. Then just the gym and swim once or twice more but doing some weight based stuff.

Much better
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Well I've been tracking alongside following slimming world principles and it's working. I lost 4lb this week. Have been going easy on the carbs though, seems as though too many potatoes may have been making me bloated too. Making better choices food wise too.

Carrying on with my clubbercise (high intensity aerobics) and hula hoop but have also added in an hours spin class. Then just the gym and swim once or twice more but doing some weight based stuff.

Much better

There you go. Congrats on getting the loss going again....!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    vfit10 wrote:
    This is could be one of 2 things you either under eating or over eating.
    Um, no.
    Not losing weight means she's either eating at maintenance or above.
    Gaining weight means she's eating more than her body needs.

They give you some crap about muscle weighing more than fat and that crap.
    They are forgetting I'm not an athlete so that's a load of b********.
    Does ones metabolism change after having children?
    Yes, your body has big changes during / after being pregnant. Check with your PCP.

As for the muscle / fat nonsense...
    Yes, it is nonsense, but not because you're not an athlete.

1 pound muscle = 1 pound fat = 1 pound feathers = 1 pound lead = 1 pound plutonium
    1 pound = 1 pound

The VOLUME occupied by each of those is different.
    feathers > fat > muscle > lead > plutonium
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    They give you some crap about muscle weighing more than fat and that crap. They are forgetting I'm not an athlete so that's a load of b****kitten*. Does ones metabolism change after having children?

You don't have to be an athlete and it's not c**p. Muscles are denser than fat. Have you measured yourself? You might be doing better than you realize.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Every additional pound of muscle burns an additional 50 calories per day. Conversely, every pound of muscle you lose reduces the amount of calories you can eat without gaining weight by 50 calories per day.

Not sure where you got that figure, but it's way off the mark. A pound of muscle burns about 6 calories per day, a pound of fat burns about 2 calories per day, so it's only a 4 calorie difference per day between them.