What are you cooking for Valentines ??

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me to set foot in a restaurant on Valentine's Day...aka amateur night. No thanks. Overworked kitchen and servers, overpriced special menus, and a bunch of fellow diners who don't get out much...ick.

My husband and I are really not into the Valentine's thing generally but I was planning to buy fresh mussels this weekend as a little treat, and they're a great choice for a special meal if you're watching calories as long as you don't soak up the sauce with half a loaf of bread or anything. I do half chicken broth, half white wine, with a head of whole garlic cloves and lots of fresh herbs. Super easy and delicious.

Exactly...I really don't understand how people enjoy themselves out on Vday. The last time my wife and I went out was probably 14 or 15 years ago to one of our favorite restaurants (still is)...they were 45 minutes late seating us for our reservation, the food was sub par when normally it is very good, and we felt like we were being hurried along so they could get the other million people waiting in the lobby a table. No thanks.

We go out about once per month for a date night and nice dinner...don't need to subject ourselves to the Vday madness.

Yep. I bartended in restaurants for years and now I avoid Valentine's, Mother's and Father's Day, and New Year's Eve like the freaking plague. Nightmares, all of them.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hubs is grilling me a fillet- and we will drink wine. All pre-logged, of course. <OCD>
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pay me to set foot in a restaurant on Valentine's Day...aka amateur night. No thanks. Overworked kitchen and servers, overpriced special menus, and a bunch of fellow diners who don't get out much...ick.

My husband and I are really not into the Valentine's thing generally but I was planning to buy fresh mussels this weekend as a little treat, and they're a great choice for a special meal if you're watching calories as long as you don't soak up the sauce with half a loaf of bread or anything. I do half chicken broth, half white wine, with a head of whole garlic cloves and lots of fresh herbs. Super easy and delicious.

Exactly...I really don't understand how people enjoy themselves out on Vday. The last time my wife and I went out was probably 14 or 15 years ago to one of our favorite restaurants (still is)...they were 45 minutes late seating us for our reservation, the food was sub par when normally it is very good, and we felt like we were being hurried along so they could get the other million people waiting in the lobby a table. No thanks.

We go out about once per month for a date night and nice dinner...don't need to subject ourselves to the Vday madness.

Yep. I bartended in restaurants for years and now I avoid Valentine's, Mother's and Father's Day, and New Year's Eve like the freaking plague. Nightmares, all of them.

ive never had a bad experience on v-day, but we usually go to super nice places or melting pot (where we cook our own food)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

You go at times the restaurants aren't packed. We prefer going out at lunch time, either 11 am or 1.30 pm, since having worked in food service for years, we have a good idea of when the rush will be. We never go out for an evening meal unless we're picking up take-out to eat at home. I share the kitchen with my in-laws, whom have never learned the "sharing" concept taught in kindergarten.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Cooking on Valentines Day? Pfft. The only people that I will want cooking on valentines day are whoever will be working at whatever restaurant we go to. ;)

Same here, I'm going to eat with my boyfriend! No cooking for me. I'm going to a Mexican restaurant and I am getting a cheese quesedilla and a salad with lettuce, cucumber, cheese and a light vinagrette instead of a quesedilla and fries. And I am going to skip the tortilla chips.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I won't be as I'll be at the Magic Kingdom that day, however I would be if I was home. We aren't a big valentines day couple, so as fancy as it gets is a nicer dinner at home.

A few years ago I made a raspberry chocolate cheesecake from skinnytaste.com...that was pretty delicious. If I was cooking I would probably do that for desert and either a steak or some kind of seafood for dinner with a side of asparagus
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Hopefully nothing....We're going to do our Valentines tomorrow nite instead of Sunday when the kids will be here; I think we'll order in Montana's Steakhouse....and hit the liquor store...snuggle up where it's warm...it's cold out there and getting colder!
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depends what we're in the mood for, but my husband usually makes our favourite and we splurge on a nice steak, with potatoes and salad - or we've also done spaghetti with homemade sauce, garlic bread and salad. Oh and white wine :):) Or we go out to eat the day before or after V-Day to avoid the rush.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I hope my husband is cooking for me. It's my birthday too (the 13th) and we're child free for the weekend.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I hope my husband is cooking for me. It's my birthday too (the 13th) and we're child free for the weekend.

Happy Birthday!!!! :) Have fun this weekend!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

ive never had a bad experience on v-day, but we usually go to super nice places or melting pot (where we cook our own food)

In my experience, fine dining tends to be worse because of the sheer number of people that go somewhere "fancy" on special occasions when they wouldn't normally, but if it works for you, that's great. I'm just very judge-y after having spent a decade in the industry and find a packed restaurant is rarely at its best for food or service.

I'm also way too much of a germaphobe to consider Melting Pot after my best friend worked there for a month. Our local one has some seriously filthy habits behind the scenes (lots of, like...reusing uneaten food and servers dipping stuff before it went out and rinsing instead of washing, etc etc.) and it was so bad that she had to quit. Not to go all gloom-and-doom, but every time someone mentions it I die a little inside, haha. I hope it's just the one in my city, but still...blech.

Total princess over here, obviously.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Probably nothing... I'm mostly bummed about not being able to have any chocolate because I just can't do sugar during PMS, apparently.

I have to say though, I'd totally love to go out, eating out is a treat because I'm honestly getting tired of having to figure out meals for my family all the time.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love to cook, so we will cook something a little fancy and indulgent at home with the kids. Probably do some type of yummy sweet too. oh yeah.. and there will be some nice beer involved. We are usually simple and have Bud Light, but we will have to drink something a little different for V-day. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not a damn thing.

lololol
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options

:) Interesting flavour profile.. Enjoy!
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    How about the bubbly and a trail of chocolates and rose petals leading to the gym/training center ;)
  • Pennilopez
    Pennilopez Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    not a damn thing.

lololol

Haha
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pinit Noir braised duck legs with caramelised shallots, fresh peas and a parsnip and potato puree. Not sure on starter yet, possibly a prosciutto and cherve tostini.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf frosted with mashed potatoes (dd's request), some vegetable, chocolate merange pie.
    I like to cook on special occasions.