Phobia of food textures - really quite depressing

Options
ok - so i have been down the road of weight loss before. i lost 40lb with MFP 3 years ago (goal weight is 130lb, i got to 170lb) before falling sick and putting the weight all back on due to meds etc... anyways!

I have a phobia of textures of food but i really REALLY want to start eating better. I eat like a child and it's so frustrating that i only eat rubbish (the thought of even eating certain foods makes me physically feel sick)

I have been eating my calorie amount of 1770kcal and exercising around 3-5 times a day (this can range from 30mins to an hour) since Jan 1st i've lost 8lbs but this fluctuates sooo much! (it's all the crap like sodium and water retention i guess?) I have cut out carbonated drinks and try to drink around 3ltr water a day (sometimes i don't manage this but hey!)

point in this thread is, i wanted to know if there was anyone else in my shoes with this phobia and how they're dealing with it to loose weight

goal is still 130lb - it seems forever away

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You need to try to expand your diet even If a tiny bit, my presumption is that it's the healthy items you have a phobia of? This is normally caused by being forced / strongly told to eat it when little and the rebellion manifesting itself into your phobia. Just take it one day, one food at a time ( I have a friend with this) with slow encouragement and lots of support she can now eat some veg equalling a faaar healthier diet and easier path to weight loss. Sweet potato and peppers were the easiest to get her on board with! Good luck I hope you have some luck with this x
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i have had it since i was 4 (i'm 30 this year!) it's been tough as when i come to try something i gag and it's like i take an anxiety attack! it's ridiculous and very embarrassing to admit to. i feel like we've exhausted every option so may need to go down the hypnosis path perhaps.

thank you for your kind words :)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I was like that with most vegetables for a long time. If I didn't eat my veggies my parents made me drink V8. Not a good cycle, but I was stubborn. As a parent now, I totally get them and don't blame them. However, it stuck with with a general dislike for veggies. I too would gag when I tried to swallow them. I've always liked salad and I find spinach is an excellent salad base. It's taken me years to really find broccoli edible. I still generally need to eat it with something else (rice, steak, anything!). You might try broccoli slaw, it's match stick size pieces of broccoli. I used to mix it with a little ranch dressing and shredded cheese. Not super healthy, but it's a start. You just have to keep trying to eat it. It will get better. Best of luck to you!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    What about mixing those things you don't like into things you do? Like finely chopping veggies and putting it in pasta sauce. Then you can slowly increase the size of the chop to your comfort level.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My daughter (she's 25) has this thing with food textures, too, and always has.

Anything mushy or gritty will trigger her gag reflex big time! It's been easy enough for her to simply avoid the foods that trigger this, and it has not prevented her from eating a full, well balanced diet.

Good luck to you, OP.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hmm...are you sure it is a texture issue? Just asking because there is a wide variety of texture with vegetables, e.g a raw carrot, a boiled carrot, a stir fried carrot, and a roasted carrot are all a bit different.

From things I've seen with people that have various phobias the usual therapy is desensitization, like start with just smelling/touching but not tasting; then maybe try putting some in your mouth for a short time, but not swallowing it...gradually increase the time so you get more accustomed to it. That sort of thing...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some people believe that losing weight involves eating special weight loss food. That is not true.
    Most people only need about eight 8-ounce cups of water. Carbonated drinks are fine unless you feel that you need to cut or reduce them for some reason.
    Eat foods that are safe for you. Those are the foods that you will eat to lose weight. :)
    Weigh and log in the diary meticulously. Consider a progressive weightlifting program.
  • lericha95
    lericha95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with this in the past but for me it wasn't a phobia, it was a combo of sensory issues and OCD. So I can't relate to your exact situation but I will say that talking with a counselor was helpful for me. Have you considered that route? They might be able to help you work through the phobia and find some coping mechanisms.

You mention that you're adverse to the texture of the food and not certain foods specifically. Would it be possible to find healthier foods that have a good texture for you? For example, if you can eat chips maybe you could find a cracker that was similar in texture. You don't have to overcome this all at once, just take it at your own pace. Good luck!!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ok - so i have been down the road of weight loss before. i lost 40lb with MFP 3 years ago (goal weight is 130lb, i got to 170lb) before falling sick and putting the weight all back on due to meds etc... anyways!

I have a phobia of textures of food but i really REALLY want to start eating better. I eat like a child and it's so frustrating that i only eat rubbish (the thought of even eating certain foods makes me physically feel sick)

I have been eating my calorie amount of 1770kcal and exercising around 3-5 times a day (this can range from 30mins to an hour) since Jan 1st i've lost 8lbs but this fluctuates sooo much! (it's all the crap like sodium and water retention i guess?) I have cut out carbonated drinks and try to drink around 3ltr water a day (sometimes i don't manage this but hey!)

point in this thread is, i wanted to know if there was anyone else in my shoes with this phobia and how they're dealing with it to loose weight

goal is still 130lb - it seems forever away

What textures bother you? Do not feel bad I am a 35 year old chef and I can not tolerate certain textures. What is it that bothers you about them? Is it the mouthfeel? What consistancy really bugs you?
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My niece is autistic and has food texture issues as well. She just turned 5 yesterday :smile: and has been doing ABA therapy since she got diagnosed last year. Anyway, therapy has helped her with food aversion, she recently ate an orange for the first time. Here's what I found in a quick google about ABA food therapy:

Instead of making a child eat a non-preferred bite of food, we break it down into small steps and reinforce gradual progress. For example, the child may first touch a small bite of food before the therapist reinforces this behavior. Then the therapist may require the child to put the food to their lips, and even lick the food before requiring the child to put the food in their mouth. Overall, it moves at a pace comfortable to the child and often takes the tears out of eating.

Not at all saying you're autistic or that you need therapy but maybe breaking it down into tiny steps like that will help?
  • Kdbuell
    Kdbuell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know some of the others have mentioned food therapy. I think it would definitely be worth it to try! Because it sounds like the sensory of eating (along with the anxiety of it) is causing a lot of your issues. I work at a pediatric clinic for Speech, OT, and PT. One of our therapists offers feeding therapy for some of the kiddos. (A lot of the kids that come here have autism, sensory issues, and some of them just have issues with textures and food in general) She's seen a lot of success! I would definitely encourage you to give it a try!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What do you eat right now? You say you eat like a child or like rubbish but what does that mean?
    What are you struggling to get enough of? What textures or foods bother you?

My dd won't eat some foods at all. Sometimes it matters how a food is prepared because she will eat it in another form like no raw or chunky tomatoes but pureed tomatoes in a pasta sauce is fine. We work with what she will eat and try to expand on it. She loves most fruit so she eats more fruit than vegetables. Vegetables have to be mixed in something- sometimes chopped fine or pureed. She won't eat every kind of meat. She does eat some beans, eggs, dairy products. She loves pasta and rice. She tends to like processed store bought or restaurant prepared foods because they are always the same. She knows she likes them and they are safe. It is harder for her to try a new recipe or new restaurant. We don't try new things every day but once a month or so we ask her to try something different.

• kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Browse the internet for ways moms sneak healthy food into their kids diet. (Short term)

Food therapy. (Long term)
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm a very adventurous eater but there are still some textures that bother me/make me gag (squishy fruit in yogurt is the worst, especially strawberries), so I don't think it's inherently weird or awful to be offput by certain foods. What's more concerning is that it causes you distress and you feel like your diet is constrained by it. I agree with the suggestion to see a therapist specializing in eating/phobias. Systematic desensitization can be effective on people with really extreme phobias of things that are much more inherently scary than food textures, it can help you, too.

In the meantime, it is absolutely possible to lose weight without eating any specific foods, and while it's certainly true that nutrient-dense, low calorie foods like vegetables are beneficial for nutrition and can make eating at a deficit while maintaining nutritional balance and satiety easier, they're not mandatory. You can start eating appropriate amounts of food without changing a single thing you eat, and see results, as you're seeing- 8 lbs since Jan 1 is great! Fluctuations are normal for everybody- sodium can make them more dramatic, but they aren't evidence that weight loss isn't working, they're just part of physiology.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    edited February 2016
    Options
    maybe i should re-phrase the way i eat; i eat bland carby startchy foods, pasta, rice, potatoes as well as things like cheese. Also, the meat i eat would probably be classed as 'crap' processed meat. i can eat burgers but there has to be no onions in it and the mince meat has to be so finely grinded into a patty it's crazy.

what i don't like about foods; it can be testure, it can be smell, i can't even touch chicken.

some examples of things i just cannot eat:
    • red meat in certain forms (yes, i know this sounds strange) like steak. I remember being at a wedding and they had steak pie on the menu. I felt so embarrassed as out of the whole plate full that was served (carrots, steak pie, roast tatties, and some other form of veg) all i could eat off the plate was the roasties.
    • chicken; i can eat chicken but it has to be VERY finely cut as if i find it's stringy that's it - automatic gag and that's me put off the rest of the meal.
    • oranges; to me they're like jelly ( can't deal with jelly either)
    • bananas: they feel fuzzy to me, they make me boak
    • apples: it's like biting into Styrofoam to me

the list is endless. It happened when i was 4 - before that i'd eat everything. I'm pretty sure i'm not autistic but my 3 year old son is in the process of being assessed for being on the spectrum (but that's a different subject)

i've tried as best as i can to bring my kids up with a healthy balanced diet as i don't want them suffering like i feel like i do. I am so embarrassed with it and it stops me going out for meals now as i'm so scared there will be nothing on the menu i'll eat!
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My daughter has similar issues. The vegetables she can tolerate are mostly in raw form. Broccoli specifically gives her a gag reflex. She likes baby spinach salads but can't do any other kind of lettuce. She actually does enjoy lightly stir fried snap peas. For her, the reaction is mild enough that I ask she try one small bite. We have to expose ourselves to food to expand our palette. I have a feeling she is a "super taster." I know her dad is. I will eat anything, hence my need to lose 50 lbs. LOL. So together, we made picky eaters and now I cook in a modular fashion. Take what you want, leave the rest. Try things over time to see if the taste any different to you.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Not a solution, but you might want to check out this book and others like it for tips and tricks that might help both you and your child.

amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has this issue. Lettuce will cause him to gag and nearly throw up. Poor guy choked down a salad at a dinner party once because he thought it would be rude not to eat it. I thought he was going to lose it on the floor.

We're both trying to lose weight, and it is a bit challenging as a partnership. He won't eat casseroles or crock pot meals because he doesn't like the consistency of food that has been combined and then cooked. I can't put any delicious greens like spinach or artichokes in the food because it gives off the allusion of lettuce. (Green beans are his one exception and he is only just now becoming okay with spices like Cilantro)

The only thing working on our side is that we're both the type of people who don't mind eating the same thing over and over again. So, it's chicken, rice and/or green beans... almost every night. I add salsa or teriyaki to mine to mix things up, but it's essentially the same. thing. every. day. But it's worked so far - and I do enjoy eating with him.

So, no - you're not alone. I think finding what you like and trying small variations on it might help.
  • Kait3822
    Kait3822 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the EXACT same issues! My friends joke that the only foods I eat are beige, which isn't very far from the truth. I've also been this way since I was very very young. My poor parents tried everything, but I was too stubborn/afraid to try things, and when I did I would usually gag. I used to have anxiety as a grade school child about what I would eat in college and as an adult.

Now the thought of having dinner with someone who isn't a very close friend fills me with anxiety, since people feel it's completely fine to criticize an adult (that they might not even know very well) about what they eat.

I'm also trying to lose weight. I'm just trying to cut out/back on the the worst stuff that I love (macaroni and cheese is my vice, I can't keep it in the house) and eating more of the healthy things that I like. Sometimes I feel like I'm eating the same things every day. It's upsetting, it's the thing I hate the most about myself.

I feel like this was rambling and didn't really get to a point, but it's always good to know you aren't the only weirdo out there with food issues.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    Options
    Kait3822 wrote: »
    I have the EXACT same issues! My friends joke that the only foods I eat are beige, which isn't very far from the truth. I've also been this way since I was very very young. My poor parents tried everything, but I was too stubborn/afraid to try things, and when I did I would usually gag. I used to have anxiety as a grade school child about what I would eat in college and as an adult.

Now the thought of having dinner with someone who isn't a very close friend fills me with anxiety, since people feel it's completely fine to criticize an adult (that they might not even know very well) about what they eat.

I'm also trying to lose weight. I'm just trying to cut out/back on the the worst stuff that I love (macaroni and cheese is my vice, I can't keep it in the house) and eating more of the healthy things that I like. Sometimes I feel like I'm eating the same things every day. It's upsetting, it's the thing I hate the most about myself.

I feel like this was rambling and didn't really get to a point, but it's always good to know you aren't the only weirdo out there with food issues.

wow, i feel like i've found my stubborn food twin. yes, i understand the anxiety side to it. i suffer with anxiety/depression and the food problems just seemed to add to it u__u since sorting out my depression and anxiety i feel this is the next thing i need to combat on my list but i'd be lying if i said it didn't scare the crap out of me