AWKWARD Shopper Needs Groceries TIPS!

Options
2»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I only find shopping stressful when I go with people who are in a hurry. It isn't like walking through a haunted house or something.

Well...you must not have shopped my grocery store then...I swear...there are times late at night or on the weekends that I think the goblins have come out. It can be quite scary at times!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i found a site that is free and that can help with shopping. it's called eatthismuch.com. you would enter in recipes and tell the site if the meals/foods/drinks are recurring. it will generate meals for you. you can print that off to get what you need.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Online shopping. If you have it in your area, try it. It's a lifesaver for me! We have pick-up and delivery options where I am and it's great! I plan my meals, put everything I need on a list, then plug that list into my online shopping cart to pick up at the store after work! They bring it right out to your car! I love it because I am not in the store being distracted, then forgetting things on my list, or grabbing things that I don't need that will end up being binged on in the long run. I get exactly what I need - nothing more or less - and I don't even have to leave the car, which in the freezing cold with a crabby toddler is a huge blessing too! Then, there's no more awkwardness!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Personally, i have a list of 6 meals that the whole family enjoys. We eat those every week. Rarely deviate.

I buy the same things from the store week after week. Makes it easier!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me, it's easiest to write down what I'm having to eat for the two weeks (I only shop bi-weekly), then from there write all the ingredients I'll need. Every single thing I might need goes on the list. Honestly it helps shopping with someone else. My husband hates grocery shopping so we try to get in and out as fast as possible, and that way I stay focused and don't grab a bag of chips off the rack like I would if I were shopping alone.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    a list.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app called Cozi...it's got a calendar you can share with your whole household, but honestly I use the grocery list in the app the most. I'm sure there are others, but why I like this is I have to check the box next to something to mark that I got it and delete it from my list. It's tough to miss anything that way...if there is anything not checked on the list, then you missed something :-)

You could also try making lists by category...all the produce, then all the meat, then all the dairy, etc. and just move right down that list.

You have to find what works for you...using the app I mentioned, I now shop a lot less. It would be once a week, but there are at least 2 grocery stores I plan to go to weekly for specific things. I buy a lot of my fruits, veggies and meat at a club store for better pricing, but I don't want a giant container of cumin. :-)

Staple foods I would say are subjective, but it's the kind of stuff that you always want around...for examples: salt, flour, dry pasta, milk, cooking oil, a loaf of bread...the things you really rely on to be able to prepare meals that aren't purchases for a particular recipe generally.
  • rim14isluv
    rim14isluv Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't be giving tips, i could be going for toilet paper and still end up in the Snack Aisle.

But here's what i've been doing. Now a days, I buy my greens/ fresh products from the farmers market weekly instead of the supermarket. Now, i buy my avocados, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and greens from the market instead of Stop & Shop ( New York folks would know). Yes, its a tad bit more pricey because they claim its 'fresh fresh fresh' and there's no sale at the farmers market like the chain supermarkets run. But the only snacks I can find there are dried fruits and nuts so that takes care of my Oreo, Chip ahoy and Doritos craving/indulgence.

I also buy my fish from the fish place/market too now instead of the supermarket. You wont find any specials or deals here but I buy enough salmon for two weeks and make it last.

All this helps me to go to the supermarket less times a month than my usual weekly trip. Plus, try raiding your mom's pantry or getting her/someone to shop on your behalf. You could try shopping online too if you have that ability and if its cost effective for you.

Just a suggestion! Hope this helps.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Make a master list that matches the layout of the store. Follow it in order...
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You got lots of great advice. I'll just add one more thing that I do:

I keep a whiteboard on the fridge. As I or someone else thinks of something, it goes on the board. I snap a picture of the board when I am heading out the door.
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Practice. Start with a short list to make one meal. Buy everything on the list. Don't leave the store until every item is crossed off.

Repeat.

Then expand to more than one meal.

I agree, start small. I am getting better at it with practice. I also watch some YouTube videos for ideas and inspiration. There is one on meal prep on the channel called clean and delicious which I really found helpful. There are others that show their shopping, and what they bought.

• Ineed2toneup
    Ineed2toneup Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone I want to say thank you so much for your advise! I have stayed working out and shopping like a pro for 37 days, lost 6.3 pounds and really made some gains.. I could never have done it without this advise!

Blessings!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My husband and I shop for the week every Saturday morning.

Throughout the week, we add things to list as we run out (brown sugar, butter, toilet paper, etc.)

Saturday morning we sit down and first add our staples, which are the things we get for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Then we decide the 2 or 3 things we are going to make for dinner for the week, and add those ingredients to the list.

Sample:

milk (if low or out)
    eggs (if low or out)
    butter (if low or out)
    bagels
    cream cheese (if low or out)
    cereal (if low or out)
    oatmeal (if low)
    brown sugar (if low)
    almonds (if low)
    bread
    sandwich meat
    spinach
    goat cheese
    bananas
    apples
    berries (choose at the store based on what looks good and price)
    lasagna noodles
    eggplant
    zucchini
    summer squash
    basil
    mozzarella
    canned tomatoes
    black beans
    hamburger buns
    scallions
    tomato

I agree that you should not go shopping hungry. Since you get overwhelmed, go when you have lots of time. Take time to wander around the produce, deli, meat and dairy sections. If you feel up to it, start heading into the other aisles. Don't worry if you don't look confident. Feel free to ask other people nearby if you have a question, some may not be friendly but others will be.