Never realised I would get so hungry from intermittent fasting!

Options
beautifulsparkles
beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
The goal was to stop eating between 8pm and noon-2, but I have been finding it tough! If I woke up one day, I could go until 4pm without eating and be fine and happy, but now that I made a rule about not eating, so I would have a smaller window to spend my calories, I am starving between those hours. I feel like somethings wrong with me.

I have let myself drink tea with a little bit of milk. I am thinking of making some vege/chicken soup, but I might still want food.

How do you lose the food obsession when fasting? I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. I caved before and ended up having an iceblock, I'm thinking about having making some scrambled eggs with veges on the side. At least I've had success with not eating after 8pm. Its between midnight and noon that is causing me issues now!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Accept fasting is not for you and stop? It is not something that works for everyone. It would never work for me.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi I do IF
    for some people it works others not so much. At the beginning it was a will power thing, just having a coffee with a stevia worked for me and only 2 cals.
    I also am very busy in the mornings, school run, sorting out toddler , and getting some work / chores done which keep me busy until 12/2 when I break fast.
    Hang on in there or maybe adjust your window and finish eating earlier
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    IF works for me because I am not hungry during the fast. You could try adjusting the hours and break the fast earlier.
  • Lajes
    Lajes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the Facebook 5:2 group. The group is designed for people fasting (not eating over 500 calories per day) for two days a week then they eat their TDEE (normal non-diet eating) for the other 5 days.

A lot of the group are also doing the 16:8 just like you.

I have been doing the 5:2 for 6 weeks and have lost 7 pounds. I only had 10 pounds to lose and tried unsuccessfully, for three years, to lose it with the MFP 1200 calories per day. I was becoming obsessed with staying within 1200 calories and couldn't do it. Now I only control calories two days per week and it is a relief.

The group has been a wonderful support and wealth of information on how your body loses weight.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    If it's not working for you - stop doing it.

I do it. But it fits in nicely with my natural tendencies.

If I feel like eating sometimes in the morning for whatever reason - I do.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a larger eating window.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Accept fasting is not for you and stop? It is not something that works for everyone. It would never work for me.

This.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Lajes wrote: »
    Try the Facebook 5:2 group. The group is designed for people fasting (not eating over 500 calories per day) for two days a week then they eat their TDEE (normal non-diet eating) for the other 5 days.

A lot of the group are also doing the 16:8 just like you.

I have been doing the 5:2 for 6 weeks and have lost 7 pounds. I only had 10 pounds to lose and tried unsuccessfully, for three years, to lose it with the MFP 1200 calories per day. I was becoming obsessed with staying within 1200 calories and couldn't do it. Now I only control calories two days per week and it is a relief.

The group has been a wonderful support and wealth of information on how your body loses weight.

Do you have a link to the facebook group?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It _can_ work for anyone; nobody's gonna drop dead from IF.
    It's much easier with HFLC macros, no blood sugar crashes which is probably your problem.
    How do you lose the food obsession when fasting?

You'll relax if you're used to it. It's just new and different, no worries.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you are normally not that hungry until late in the afternoon, but now that you started fasting 'til noon you are? Any other changes (like earlier dinner)? If not, it might just be mental and you could try eating something low cal (raw vegetables like celery or broccoli) to get over the need to eat or panicked feeling that you cannot eat. Often we have weird reactions like that to adjusting to something new or restrictions -- you never want to eat at a particular time until you tell yourself you cannot. I'd also just focus on what you are planning to eat to break the fast at lunch -- when I cut out snacking between my three main meals that's what I would do.

If it's simply that you do like eating breakfast and normally do, so are hungry, it just might not work for you. I don't think an eating window would work for me, as I like to eat in the morning.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options

This.

So if something is hard you just give up?

the benefits seem worth it to me, since I started this thread, I've done some research, and it sounds like you need to ease your way into it.

I am now thinking that my hunger is mental not physical, and wondering how many times in my life I've actually experienced real hunger. My stomach never growls or makes noises, and I'm usually choosy about what I eat (I can't imagine eating fruit bread if it was the only thing available to satisfy my hunger).
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Are you saying that you are normally not that hungry until late in the afternoon, but now that you started fasting 'til noon you are? Any other changes (like earlier dinner)? If not, it might just be mental and you could try eating something low cal (raw vegetables like celery or broccoli) to get over the need to eat or panicked feeling that you cannot eat. Often we have weird reactions like that to adjusting to something new or restrictions -- you never want to eat at a particular time until you tell yourself you cannot. I'd also just focus on what you are planning to eat to break the fast at lunch -- when I cut out snacking between my three main meals that's what I would do.

If it's simply that you do like eating breakfast and normally do, so are hungry, it just might not work for you. I don't think an eating window would work for me, as I like to eat in the morning.

I just realised that I haven't actually skipped breakfast regulary for years. When I started starting meds for my illness, I needed something in my stomach, so I ate. Then, I started a meal plan with a nutritionist last year and my meals, so I ate what she told me everyday.

I guess I have gotten out of that habit. I guess going this cold turkey might have been a bad idea. I might start eating from 11am, then slowly move it to 2pm.
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    I don't think an eating window would work for me, as I like to eat in the morning.

People doing daily windows will put them any time of day. Doesn't have to be a "don't eat in the morning" thing.
    My usual daily routine is food early after waking and post-lifting, and then be done.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    I don't think an eating window would work for me, as I like to eat in the morning.

People doing daily windows will put them any time of day. Doesn't have to be a "don't eat in the morning" thing.
    My usual daily routine is food early after waking and post-lifting, and then be done.

I think I would find it harder to stop eating at night. I have stopped eating after 9pm, but that wasn't too hard because I go to bed soon after. Apparently, Victoria Beckham doesn't eat after 6pm. I could never do that- our family has always prepared dinner quite late (from 7-9:30pm) and since I live with my mum, I can't really stop that habit right now. If I ate dinner at like 5pm, then nothing afterwards, I would be starving!

I didn't really know your fast could start in the evening, I thought a morning one would be more effective? like does your body wait till you are asleep to start burning fat, or does that start as soon as you stop eating?
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    I am now thinking that my hunger is mental not physical, and wondering how many times in my life I've actually experienced real hunger. My stomach never growls or makes noises

That's a very big deal when you start IF, especially if you do full-day fasts. It's educational. There's a difference between mental hunger (habit, and blood sugar dips, ie: when people usually say "I'm starving!") and actual hunger. Real hunger is when your stomach's empty. You'll learn to recognize that too, and realize you won't die either way.

It also makes the realization that bodyfat is like a battery, or fuel tank more obvious and everything food-related becomes much simpler.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

This.

the benefits seem worth it to me, since I started this thread, I've done some research, and it sounds like you need to ease your way into it.

I am now thinking that my hunger is mental not physical, and wondering how many times in my life I've actually experienced real hunger. My stomach never growls or makes noises, and I'm usually choosy about what I eat (I can't imagine eating fruit bread if it was the only thing available to satisfy my hunger).

I hear you on the mental hunger. My brain routinely tries to convince me that I am starving. I try to distract myself with hobbies. Eating isn't supposed to be a hobby for me!

Good luck adjusting the hours. I have had to make many tweaks to my original plan.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yeah, to complete the thought, it won't work for me because I like to have dinner as my main meal -- it's the easiest to be able to creatively cook for and the most social -- but I also like breakfast. I'm interested in maybe trying IF, but I'd do a 5-2 plan, I think. My schedule is such that I have breakfast before 7 and can't usually have dinner until 9 or after.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I just realised that I haven't actually skipped breakfast regulary for years. When I started starting meds for my illness, I needed something in my stomach, so I ate. Then, I started a meal plan with a nutritionist last year and my meals, so I ate what she told me everyday.

I guess I have gotten out of that habit. I guess going this cold turkey might have been a bad idea. I might start eating from 11am, then slowly move it to 2pm.

I used to never eat/feel hungry in the morning, and now I do. I've figured out that I'm a habitual eater -- I feel hungry when I'm used to eating -- so I think it would be possible to get back into the habit of eating later (although for me personally I don't want to). Moving it up more gradually sounds like a good idea.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

This.

If there is other, equally valid ways, yes. That is a sensible thing to do.

There really isn't any huge benefit to it. The main benefit is, ironically, not being as hungry. Which obviously doesn't work for you. Try somthing different that might not leave you hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This.

There's no reason to stick to it if it's not working for you, because it's not like there's any huge benefits to IF at all.

But hey, if you enjoy being miserable, have it your way I guess. But I know that I could never do IF, I exercise in the morning and it's a disaster on an empty stomach.. it's just not for everyone.