Which is Preferable?

Options
For experienced maintainers, which is better: Using TDEE which takes into account overall weekly
exercise to calculate daily calorie need or the MFP daily need which doesn't calculate exercise and then to "eat those back"?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Better for who?

MFP method is better for me as my exercise varies enormously day to day, week to week and even season to season. Winter I'm burning about 3,500 a week and summer about 6,000 or more with my cycling.
    Also with very long rides I have to fuel on the day.
    I also enjoy the flexibility of eating different amounts day to day depending on social events etc...

If you either do an insignificant amount of exercise or your exercise is very regular then TDEE method is certainly more simple.
    Also suits people who like to stick to a similar intake day to day or over course of a week.

Either method may involve some adjustments to your calorie balance based on actual results over time.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For experienced maintainers, which is better: Using TDEE which takes into account overall weekly
    exercise to calculate daily calorie need or the MFP daily need which doesn't calculate exercise and then to "eat those back"?

They are basically 6 of 1...personally, I'm pretty consistent in my exercise and while I do have days with bigger calorie burns, everything has worked out just fine basically using TDEE...I didn't use a calculator or anything, when I went to maintenance I just did the math and added back the calories I needed to as per the amount of weight I was losing per week.

If you're inconsistent in your exercise activities, MFP might work better.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Preferable? As in recommended or advantageous?

It depends on personal preference. There are lot of MFPer's that use trackers to calculate their exercise and use those calculations to add to their MFP allotment.

But then there are those that simply use TDEE as they have pretty much zoned in to their exercise and activities they do on a daily basis or need to do to maintain their weight. I use MFP as I have a different source for calculating my exercise and activities, but you also find a majority that use TDEE ...

Unclear as to why the question..

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I calculate my calorie goal as sedentary & eat back any exercise calories. I don't like to exercise, so my exercise goes in spurts. I start off all enthusiastic about getting healthy, then that eventually wears off & I stop. If I had my baseline calories set to include that exercise, I would eventually be overeating. So for me personally, setting my calories to maintain even if I'm sitting around all day is the way to go.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE. I had no desire to have to wear a HRM every time I exercised while losing weight, and have to log everything, so just forget it long term, lol.

My exercise is pretty consistent though, but even if it wasn't, I'd just adjust my goal depending on how active I am at the time.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Depends

When i did MFP ( so NEAT) i ate my burned calories back for 75%. This because i sometimes couldn't exercise ( medical issues)

Now at maintaining and very consistent with exercising ( every day) i love TDEE. And of course with TDEE you eat also your exercise calories. But now i am pretty sure i exercise everyday. So why should i calculate it separated.

So it is very personal i think.

I find it simple. Try to stick to my 14000 calories a week and train for about 300 burned calories daily.

95069916.png
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It really depends how regular your schedule is. I use MFP and log my exercise. When I was at a deficit I did that by looking it up. I rewarded myself 3 years ago when I hit my goal with a fitbit and now an Apple watch. It logs my exercise calories automatically. Some days I do a lot, some not so much. I pay attention to my weekly calories religiously, but expect my daily calories to vary. It works well for me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its a matter of preference, I like the TDEE method but then I have a Fitbit to caluculate what my TDEE is so it takes the guess work out of it.
    Its about what works best for you :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm a hybrid.
    My MFP sedentary is 1200, however I know I burn 175-200 for each hour of exercise. I tend to exercise 6 times a week so give myself a TDEE of 1400.

If I throw in exercise over and above the norm more than twice a week I will add a couple of hundred calories (glasses of wine) at the weekend.

I have said all this, but to be honest I have been maintaining for 6 years and don't log very often anymore, just carry a few numbers around in my head.

Play with your numbers and find what works for you.

Cheers, h.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prefer the MFP way synced with my fitbit. I get excited watching my calories go UP throughout the day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I prefer the MFP way synced with my fitbit. I get excited watching my calories go UP throughout the day.

LOL yep, that's the same as me.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I use the tdee provided daily by my fitbit
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've always just used the MFP daily numbers.