Gain muscle

Options
To gain muscle should I eat a steady surplus everyday or just in the days I train weights? I am 5"6 49 kg and have 15% body fat

Replies

• Sean_Rooney85
    Sean_Rooney85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a decent read on gaining muscle. I would eat a surplus everyday.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/10-ways-to-gain-muscle0
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ktjc2016 wrote: »
    To gain muscle should I eat a steady surplus everyday or just in the days I train weights? I am 5"6 49 kg and have 15% body fat

Everyday. Keep it consistent which will pay off in the long run.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too! I've only been eating a surplus on leg day (I don't train as hard on upper body day) and it's been leaving me awfully hungry.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Your rest days are when your muscles reconstruct and you see the most gains. IMO it's even more important to eat at a surplus on rest days.
  • seanm55
    seanm55 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    eat that same level every day... body needs nutrients most during rest as that's when your body does the repairs which build muscle
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Eat at surplus day in and day out and make sure to adjust as your LBM increases to maintain surplus.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Eat at surplus day in and day out and make sure to adjust as your LBM increases to maintain surplus.

^^^^ this
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

Everyday. Keep it consistent which will pay off in the long run.

+ ^^^this
  • Ktjc2016
    Ktjc2016 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too! I've only been eating a surplus on leg day (I don't train as hard on upper body day) and it's been leaving me awfully hungry.

Yeah I'm the same I feel like my arms don't take half the effort, I'm finding it difficult to eat a surplus but need to build muscle so needs must!
  • Ktjc2016
    Ktjc2016 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Can you help me out with how many calories I just be taking in? I'm not so good with this stuff and have gradually upped my calories from 1200 to 2000 in the 6 months

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats and activity level into MFP - and set it to gain 1/2 lb per week. It will crunch the numbers for you.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Can you help me out with how many calories I just be taking in? I'm not so good with this stuff and have gradually upped my calories from 1200 to 2000 in the 6 months
    The prevailing wisdom calls for +250 calories for a "lean bulk" over your TDEE. Anything over that is considered a dirty bulk. +250 = roughly a 1/2 pound per week. 500+ roughly a pound.

Tools for you:

1) Figure out your body composition and monitor it. Do not use a BIA scale to do this. The water in your body will change the reading that a BIA scale will return to you. IMO, good old fashion skinfold is cheap and convenient. Whatever method you use, be consistent.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-to-measure-your-body-fat.html

Determine BMR and TDEE.
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Plug those number into MFP. Eat accordingly.