Resistance Bands

Options
Does anyone here use resistance bands? For the sake of taking up as little space as possible and wanting to do some at home strength training I bought myself a set that goes from light to heavy resistance. The bands came with a little exercise guide and exercises I can figure out on my own. For more variety are there any youtube videos anyone could recommend? I do not have the door attachment. Also for those that use resistance bands, how effective were they for you? I use to go to the gym (before it went out of business) and was using the machines and dumbells for strength training.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are used more for functional training and not strength training. They lack any "negative" (eccentric) contraction. If you want something you can do at home for low cost, look at SUSPENSION TRAINING. All you need at home is a closing door. And no need to spend alot. I bought WOSS ones for much less than TRX to do the same work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have Bodylastics, and although the over-the-door thingie was fine, I recently got the full bondage door attachment. There are some great workouts on YouTube, search for LiveExercise.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would try to get a door anchor, which are like $5 on Ebay. Then you can do basics like the standing chest press, the standing row, and ab twists.

Consider doing squats using makeshift freeweights, like a box filled with soup cans, for example.
    It's possible to do goblet squats with bands, but it's hard to explain how. :smile:
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    They lack any "negative" (eccentric) contraction.

Only if they break. :smile: They pull in both directions, just like cable machines. :+1:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you like Pilates?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHuxLKvqlo