Veggie Side Dishes

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
I have a picky eater in my family... there are a select few vegetable that he likes and only a few more that he'll tolerate I'd put them on his plate and demand he eat them - but well, he's a grown man... he's my husband. He likes broccoli, green beans, peas, swiss chard, carrots, potatoes, corn and bell peppers. I am watching my carbs so we don't eat many potatoes.

I honestly don't think I can handle another cup of steamed broccoli for a bit! Last night I made Cauli-tots for me and served my husband tater tots (my son ate both). I'm looking for ways to liven up some veggies at dinner time!

Tonight we are having ravioli stuffed with Italian sausage. While my boys will eat it as their main course - I need to use the ravioli as a side and have a vegetable as a "main entrée" - anyone have any exciting ideas??? Please???

BTW - here's what I did for my Cauli-tots if anyone is interested:
1/2 head cauliflower
4 egg whites
1/4 parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
4 T almond flour

Preheat oven to 425

chop cauliflower very finely almost to a rice consistency. Place in a bowl, cover and put in microwave for 3 minutes. Place in fine mesh colander and allow to drain... press a bit with a spoon to get as much liquid out as possible.

Beat 4 egg whites until soft peaks form - add parm cheese and cheddar and beat a bit more until well incorporated. Add cauliflower to mixture and then add almond flour 1 T at a time until all incorporated.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Drop mixture in Tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet flattening a bit with back of spoon. Sprinkle seasonings of choice over each "tot". I used a garlic, salt, onion, basil blend. Then spray each tot with a little olive oil or nonstick spray. Bake for 15-18 minutes... mine were perfect at 17.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    that sounds delish.
  • raychl88
    raychl88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourite veggie dishes that's great as a main:
    http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-with-goats-cheese/4570.html
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You can throw spinach in just about anything...I actually dehydrate veggies that are getting ready to turn and run them through a food processor...looks like weed sitting in my kitchen, but I just add a few scoops to any meals I feel like could use some more veggies.

Pretty much everything is good roasted too in olive oil and seasoned. We adore these parsnip "fries" with horseradish rosemary mayo. http://www.skinnymom.com/parsnip-fries-with-horseradish-rosemary-mayo/
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You could substitue half of your potatoes for cauliflower and make into mashed potatoes or entirely of cauliflower. I like to steam my cauliflower in chicken broth, then puree and add light laughing cow cheese wedges.

Eggplant sliced and salted. Let set to draw out some of the bitterness. Roast in oven. Top with marinara and spinkle of cheese.

Fried cabbage. Cut cabbage into thin slices. In about tsbp or so of canola oil, add one or two slices of bacon. After it cooks down, remove bacon. Add in cabbage. Lightly brown then add water, cover until tender. One or two slices of bacon provides flavor without tons of calories considering it makes a hug skillet.

Brussel spouts are great to sautee in small amount of oil, then steam. At the end, spinkle on some grated paremsan cheese.

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I doubt your picky eater will be on board, but have you tried spaghetti squash? It would be perfect for you as a side. Or maybe broccoli rabe? A little different but similar to broccoli. Both would be delicious with you ravioli. My Dad loves peppers and onions with Italian sausage. That would be a good side too.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you want it simple, just roast your veggies. Mix with a little bit of olive oil, fresh cracked salt and pepper (herbs if you want). 425 for 15-20 mins depending on the veggies.

We like to have things that are vegetable based, and have small components of meat. Things like stuffed veggies (zucchini boats, stuffed peppers, stuffed eggplant, stuffed acorn squash, stuffed spaghetti squash, stuffed portobello mushroom caps, etc). We make them all kinds of ways from lasagna flavored with sausage, to Thai peanut flavored, to buffalo flavored, to enchilada flavored, to BBQ flavored and so on. There are tons of recipes.

Finally, we eat a lot of stir fry dishes, soups, stews, curries and chili. Mostly veggies, maybe 1lb of meat for 8-12 servings. Also, you can freeze in individual portions so you have your own options even if your family doesn't eat it and you don't have to do a bunch of extra work.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Roasted Brussels sprouts and radishes are my go-to. Slice in half, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper, roast flat-side down at ~450° for 30 minutes or so (until the outsides are browned). Delicious.

I've also been really into BBQ cauliflower bites as of late, here's a recipe I posted last week:
    1/4 c flour
    1/4 c unsweetened coconut milk
    1 T smoked paprika
    1 t each cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, blackened seasoning
    pinch nutmeg, kosher salt
    Mix well, toss half a head's worth of cauliflower florets. bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until the batter sets.
    Toss in 2T of your fav BBQ sauce with 1t your favorite hot sauce (I used Weber brown sugar and Sriracha).

^^That one comes out to about 340 calories if you eat the whole thing yourself (which I usually do).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash and kale gratin. It works the same as Spaghetti squash and spinach gratin.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704981/

I bet you can get your boys to try it. I picked this because, winter, and warm.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I do a green bean side dish that my husband loves. I sauté 1/2 c of diced onions in some olive oil, and add crushed garlic and tomatoes, along with some oregano and basil, with salt and pepper to taste. Steam the green beans until crisp-tender, then add the beans to the tomato mixture.

I also microwave spaghetti squash, and add it to sautéed onions and halved grape tomatoes, along with oregano and grated parmesan, and toss to mix ingredients.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'd, personally, take a look here and start from there. http://vegweb.com/recipes

You can use the search function to narrow down by your approved veggie list.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's links to a few we like:
    These roasted carrots are absolutely delicious!
    http://damndelicious.net/2015/08/30/honey-maple-roasted-carrots/?m#_a5y_p=4256862

With this recipe you can use whatever veggies you like.
    http://simpleveganblog.com/oil-free-rainbow-roasted-vegetables/?m

If you think he might eat cauliflower this is another favorite.
    http://www.reneeskitchenadventures.com/2014/11/roasted-garlic-parmesan-cauliflower.html?m=1
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas! BecomingBane - I'm going to check out that website today...can't wait! As for what I did last night? Well... very nearly made myself very sick. When I bought the raviolis I apparently didn't look at both packages very well. I am really, really allergic to Mushrooms. In my haste at the grocery the other day, apparently I bough one package of Italian Sausage stuffed ravioli and one stuffed with Portobello and porcini mushrooms. Luckily I caught my error - but only after dumping both bags into boiling water. So... I ended up eating a giant salmon patty (salmon, egg whites, almond flour, almond slivers and spices), roasted sweet potato chunks and a Caesar side salad. I have to say - I think my meal was probably more enjoyable than the raviolis that my family ate! And when I was done... I was comfortably full... many textures, flavors and colors.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Fresh green beans, washed.
    Put on a baking sheet (spray with Pam or olive oil)
    Season with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
    Use olive oil or butter or smart balance
    Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 min.
    Or however long you want them.
    Sprinkle almond pieces on top when done.
    It's my fav vegetable dish, they come out good and crispy!
    Thanks for the cauli tot recipe I can wait to try it!