Chronic disease ... would you want to know?

Options
So I go in for a full physical next week and I'm thinking there is somthing going on in my body. I'm not thinking immediately tragic but I'm thinking something like an autoimmune disease that hasn't been diagnosed. Now I may be a bit of a hypochondriac - but when somethings "just not right" you know ... right?

So - do I just NOT ask for tests as a means to get answers and just "carry on" living the best I can?
OR - do I ask for tests and answers to get a diagnosis... of which there may not be much that can be done (other than trigger self-pity and excuses)?

What would you do and why?

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would want to know if I had any sort of autoimmune or chronic illness. I would want all of the data possible so that I could make good, healthy decisions and get myself back on track. If you do have something going on, you may be able to easily manage with medication or lifestyle changes - why waste time feeling awful if you could be on the road to feeling better?

Also, you may be just fine, and it would probably give you great peace of mind to just know.

Best wishes.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Finding out made my life easier, because I knew how to deal with my symptoms better. You just have to remember, it is something you have, like a knee...it doesn't run your life, you do. :-)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    With auto-immune diseases, it's better to know so you can control it by diet and medication. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I had a 15 pound weight gain in 6 months without really changing much, my hands and feet are always cold, I'm either REALLY tired, or REALLY wound up, and had be having more digestive and joint issues lately (I'm 34, so too young for most aches and pains). I thought I might be bipolar - but since I have a history of thyroid lesions, my ENT sent me for a repeat ultrasound and found my thyroid itself grew about 1.5x it's size since August 2012, which is a big indication of the disease. After reading about the disease and natural treatments I switched to a gluten-free diet (and other than today where I'm EXAUSTED), it's helped for the most part. They are still determining what meds I need, if any.

Go, get tested and know there is relieve in finally knowing what you have and how to treat it. Then you can get on feeling better. Why wonder if there actually something wrong when you can know...
  • hrshygrl00
    hrshygrl00 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would most deifnitely want to know, because I am in ths exact same scenario.
    Started having issues last year, and I KNEW I had to find out what was going on.

I was finally diagnosed in April/May, and while I still ahve issues, I know, and will be taking medicine to help withmy symptoms.
    I think you should definitely find these thigns out, so you can develop a plan with your doctors to treat it.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have an auto-immune disorder. If I had spoken up to my doctor about my pain years earlier I could have started my immune suppression therapy years earlier and would not have the level of damage that I do.

My point it... talk to your doctor. If you have the disorder, you can get treatment. If you don't have the disorder, you can move on with your life. Why are you debating this with yourself. This would be like taking your car in to a garage because the engine is knocking but not telling the mechanic and only asking for an oil change. Its silly! :smile: Voicing your concerns is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is called being responsible.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely want to know. So many diseases can be cured, managed or slowed with proper treatment. And often, how early you get that treatment makes all the difference.

How could I be the best me possible without knowing my limitations?
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a chronic illness, and I went for 5-6 years without going to a doctor. As part of my fitness/getting healthy routine that I am doing now, I went to the doctor and started to get all of my health stuff back on track.
    They way I figured it, getting strong and thinner will do me no good if I keel over dead in a year. So to be able to enjoy this healthy strong body I am making for myself, I am going to the doctor and starting all of my meds again. I want to enjoy this new body as long as I can.