Question: new to running

Options
I've recently started running in the morning. I run 5-6 days per week. And I'm at a five mile course and I can do a 10-11 minute pace. I'm a little sore in some spots but nothing unbearable. I actually feel really great.

My question is... Am I putting too much stress on my body since I only really just started out? Or should I just stick with my routine if it's working for me?

I definitely want to avoid injury. And my left knee was bothering me today. (I won't be running tmrw)

Any advice? I feel really great right now and I'd rather not ease up my routine.

Ps even though I'm new to running I've rode my bike in the city for years. And I'm generally active.

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think 5 miles, 5-6 days a week for someone who is *just starting* is too much. I would reduce the mileage or reduce the days. Just my opinion.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I think 5 miles, 5-6 days a week for someone who is *just starting* is too much. I would reduce the mileage or reduce the days. Just my opinion.

^This
    Go slow, walk a lot, and let your body ease into it. Your joints, muscles, and tendons need to adjust to the stress, or else MTSS will be in your future! (shin splints)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time you've ever run in your life?

You say you run 5-6 days a week, how many weeks have you been doing that?

It's hard to say what will be too much for you. You are in exactly the problem spot for people: you have good physical fitness from other activities and therefore do too much too soon.

I'd probably recommend only 3x a week for 2-3 weeks (with a rest day inbetween each run day). Then if you feel fine, add a day 4x a week 2-3 weeks. And so on. Make sure you don't increase mileage by more than 10% total each week, especially in this build-up stage. I know it's aggravating to hold yourself back, but you are pretty much begging for an injury. Your knee might stop you from running just today, or might sideline you for weeks. The goal is to get you running regularly without injury because taking weeks and months off when you are feeling good sucks a lot more than taking a day off. The days off are almost as important as the days running, especially in the beginning. That's just my personal recommendation, I am not a running coach.
  • eadams103
    eadams103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!

This is not my first time running but first time in a few years. I dabbled for a few months twice in the last ten years.

My current fitness level is a person living in the city walking a lot, on my feet at work bartending, and riding my bike about 25-30 minutes 3x a week or so.

I guess I'm worried that I'll lose my motivation if I take time off. But I suppose on my rest days maybe I can just stick to a morning stroll. Keep myself in routine of getting outside first thing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Just remember that muscular-skeletal strength builds nowhere near as quickly as cardiovascular fitness. Unless you're mechanically super efficient you are risking overuse injuries.
  • Ngegee
    Ngegee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There's a very good article at the top of this forum, under, recommended reading by ThickMcRunFast about this topic