Olive Oil without poly or monounsaturated fats?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is good for you. But a lot of supposedly olive oils are not real olive oils (like honey and whatnot). So I wouldn't have too much of it either.

Um ... what??
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Too many polyunsaturates can cause problems.
    This applies equally to everything you can ingest. Every. Single. Thing.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Too many polyunsaturates can cause problems.
    This applies equally to everything you can ingest. Every. Single. Thing.

No ****.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even too much water is bad for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is good for you. But a lot of supposedly olive oils are not real olive oils (like honey and whatnot). So I wouldn't have too much of it either.

Um ... what??
    It's been going on for decades. Even the big names have been caught putting oil other than olive in their product......most is the refined olive oil and not the EVOO's, not that their completely olive oil all the time either.
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    This thread makes my brain hurt :(

I cook with a lot of olive oil. I like butter on my toast. Nothing wrong with that, fat is good when it's all natural and healthy. It's processed crap like margarine that's not good for you, right?

Same thing with sugar. Lots of threads about sugar being evil. I exceed my daily quota of sugar on fruits and veg alone. Northing wrong with that, it's all natural and healthy. It's processed crap like corn syrup that's not good for you, right?

I feel bad for the OP having allergies, but why is he so bothered about stupid macros? And everyone is chipping in with their neurotic and often misguided comments, it's so typical of MFP forums. Lots of arguing and dissecting and overanalysing as usual, creating confusion. Just keep it simple people, stay under your daily goal and don't sweat the small stuff.
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    This thread makes my brain hurt :(

I cook with a lot of olive oil. I like butter on my toast. Nothing wrong with that, fat is good when it's all natural and healthy. It's processed crap like margarine that's not good for you, right?

Same thing with sugar. Lots of threads about sugar being evil. I exceed my daily quota of sugar on fruits and veg alone. Northing wrong with that, it's all natural and healthy. It's processed crap like corn syrup that's not good for you, right?

I feel bad for the OP having allergies, but why is he so bothered about stupid macros? And everyone is chipping in with their neurotic and often misguided comments, it's so typical of MFP forums. Lots of arguing and dissecting and overanalysing as usual, creating confusion. Just keep it simple people, stay under your daily goal and don't sweat the small stuff.

Thank you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Too many omega 6's do cause an imbalance. The pathway ( delta 6 desaturase) is used by both n:3's and n:6's and with a diet that is predominantly grain in association with the SAD diet a boat load of omega 6's are consumed, around 10% of total calories. LA which is a the essential omega 6 when consumed in this quantity can be inflammatory and the reason the big push on omega 3's, n:3's will lessen that inflammation.

How much fat is in grains?
    When the oil is extracted it's all fat. Corn oil is over half omega 6's which is the most popular oil and called vegetable oil. Soy oil which is the other most consumed oil is also over half omega 6...........most seed oils are are also high in poly fats and contrary to popular belief these oil are very fragile and oxidize (degrade) immediately upon light, oxygen or heat and should really be consumed within the matrix of their natural state. Also if you research you'll fine that these essential oils (including omega 3's) should be consumed in a 1:1 ratio and represent about 2% of total calories, at least this seems to be the consensus.