Scales.....,

Options
So I weight in at my gym 2 days ago and I'm a hair under 146. Today, just for *kitten* arounds sake I weighed myself on my wife's digital fancy smancy scale at home. 141.8. So my question to you all is this, would you rather trust A: the old school style scales you find at gyms, (where you slide weighted plates) or 2: take the word of a stupid digital smart scale, that mind you, has been around a long time. Just thoughts on this. I wonder what you all think.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean, your 'weight' isn't one static, never changing number. You fluctuate up and down a couple pounds all the time. Combine that with the fact you used differently calibrated scales, at different times of the day under different conditions...

One great piece of advice I got along the way - I'll pass it on..

Quit thinking of your weight as ONE number, but instead as a range (when maintaining) or a trend (when gaining or cutting).

• Deweyeast1488
    Deweyeast1488 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You are right about that. But I will admit, when I'm down, it's kind of a buzz kill. But it is what it is. I actually just recently started weighing myself again. For a while I didn't even look cause it is not motivational when I stay the same weight so long.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Interestingly I have had the same experience this week
    Digital home scale showing 142
    but the traditional mechanical scale made by Salter (so a decent make) says 138
    both were taken post workout, in the same gear and only 10 minutes apart.

Personally I think the mechanical is right, any imbalance or bad calibration is apparent before use and can be changed, same with the slide weight ones, bit's of metal don't change their weight.
    You can't see what's going on inside a digital one or what it's reading before you get on it really.
  • Deweyeast1488
    Options
    Right. I trust the old school method myself. Ever time I get on the digital scale it is like 5 pounds light. Which my wife loves, but me, I do not. I'm thinking to check it with a 5lb weight. See if it's close
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Maybe the digital scale manufacture too or beam scale not calibrated ? My weight was taken at Doc's on a old school beam scale for yearly physically. Got home and my digital was off by .5
    I do like juggernaults take on weight.
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just stick to one scale and weigh yourself consistently on that scale the same time per day or week . Remember water can make you fluctuate so ensure you drink enough each day so again you water weight is consistent , sodium plays a big part in fluctuations so keep that in check also . Just be consistent with everything
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    dizzler1 wrote: »
    Just stick to one scale and weigh yourself consistently on that scale the same time per day or week . Remember water can make you fluctuate so ensure you drink enough each day so again you water weight is consistent , sodium plays a big part in fluctuations so keep that in check also . Just be consistent with everything

I agree, stick to the same scale which is sitting in the same place each time and weigh at the same time of the day (preferably first thing in the morning after a poop. TMI??? lol). And yeah sodium can mess with a weigh in so avoid scales the day after if you can. As long as your weigh in is consistent you're on the right track.
  • Deweyeast1488
    Options
    What you all are saying makes perfect sense. And I appreciate your input. If you all even care, I will have you know I went back to my gym yesterday, and put a 10lb plate on the scale and it was dead on, then I stepped on and was 147. So I gained another pound. This made me happy. My fiancé, not so much, cause now she is 5 pounds more than she thought...