"Big" snacks with low calories

Options
Need some ideas for snacks where you feel like you're eating a lot, but the calories are low...so far all I've got is popcorn and raw veggies (boring). Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I like 100 calorie tuna packs, love cottage cheese, love plain greek yogurt with fruit or even the fruit flavored yogurts- just watch sugar IF you need too.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds (in shell) are not low in calories but it takes a long time to eat one serving....so you can have a 150 calorie snack that will take you an hour to consume.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Here are some healthy snack ideas:

Yogurt Parfait
    - Plain yogurt (i.e. Fage), sweetened with cinnamon and no-sugar added vanilla extract. (If you need it sweeter initially while you are weaning down off the sweet taste add xylitol, a sugar alcohol that doesn’t raise insulin and helps reduce the risk of tooth decay or, Stevia). Add ½ cup of diced apple for crunch or frozen berries defrosted and with a little of their juice (no sugar added of course) for a great antioxidant punch!

Celery sticks stuffed with
    - Peanut or almond butter
    - Light whipped cream cheese or ricotta cheese whipped with your favorite herb mix and with chopped olives or walnuts stirred in

Tortilla Roll-ups-using low carb or whole wheat tortillas (have earlier in the day)
    - Almond or peanut butter* whipped with light whipped cream cheese or Low Fat ricotta cheese. Spread 1-2 tbsp on tortilla, Add ¼ cup chopped apple for some crunch.
    - Cottage cheese or light whipped cream cheese, salsa, chopped red peppers and jicama.

Great portable snacks:
    - 10 raw nuts and a fruit serving
    - 1 oz cheese (especially string cheese) and a fruit serving.

Apple slices and nut butter

Baked apple
    - sprinkle with cinnamon and bake, fill with ricotta or cottage cheese and top with a tbsp of freshly ground flaxseed meal.

Smoothie
    - 1 scoop whey protein powder, ½ cup berries, ½ cup plain yogurt
    - cottage cheese, ½ cup ice and ½ cup water, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
    - Try freezing this and have as a Popsicle

Faux Trail Mix
    - ½ cup Kashi Go Lean cereal and 1 tbsp chopped nuts

1 cup veggie soup

Raw veggies and dip
    - use olive oil, Dijon and balsamic vinegarette mixed with your favorite spices

• mrsbrown1230
    mrsbrown1230 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anything with a lot of protein is great to keep you satisfied. I make little crustless quiche that are tasty

8 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup shredded cheddar
    handful of chopped green onion (to your taste)
    1/2 cup chopped ham
    salt and pepper

I put the chopped ham cheese and onion into a mini muffin pan, then pour the egg/milk mixture over top, fill about 2/3 full. Bake at 325 for 15 min or so, you will know when its done by looking at it.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Kale chips in the oven.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me it's broccoli and cauliflower. I eat cauliflower like apples. Yum.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love fruits and veggies so that's a good go-to. A little hummus does wonders as well.

Greek yogurt (I love the 80 calorie Danon light & fit ones)

Skinny pop (popcorn)
  • amklein75
    amklein75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to make some veggie chips tomorrow...need to stay focused!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Most of this food sounds like something from a horror movie....
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Fruit and sardines. Not at the same time.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Lettuce leaves....
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Halo Top ice cream! I absolutely love the stuff. Also ThinSlim's cookies (I love the glazed versions), but their other desserts (brownies) I'm not a fan of, just the cookies (and muffins, but those are smaller). One thinslim cookie is honestly close in size to a Lenny & Larry's complete cookie but has 45 calories because of all the fiber (so I wouldn't suggest eating more than one).
    A protein shake blended with either water or unsweetened almond milk and ice is also a low calorie, filling snack!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    For me it's broccoli and cauliflower. I eat cauliflower like apples. Yum.

As in you hold a head of cauliflower in your hand and take a bite? :)

I don't know how many places sell these but my grocery store has a sushi bar that sells Moon Pops. They're like 17 calories each for a flat rice cake thing about the size of a lunch plate.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm a fan of raw veggies. You can eat as much as you want. Try it with hummus for protein and a bit more substance.

Apple slices with a dip made from a bit of PB mixed into vanilla yogurt. Yummy.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I make a fat-free ranch dip that I eat with raw celery and broccoli...DELICIOUS!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I just prefer eating larger meals and I generally bulk them up heavily with whatever veg I'm having. I only have a couple of snacks per day...usually some greek yogurt and some berries and an apple and almond butter or something.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've been known to eat like 400g of spiralized zucchini with a little salad dressing or vinegar/lemon juice/herbs. Less than 100 calories if you dress it appropriately and it's a bowl about the size of my head.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I've been known to eat like 400g of spiralized zucchini with a little salad dressing or vinegar/lemon juice/herbs. Less than 100 calories if you dress it appropriately and it's a bowl about the size of my head.

I'm a volume eater, and night time is my downfall for getting the munchies, so my favorite dinner when I am low on calories is a enormous plate of zucchini and yellow squash, sautéed with garlic, onion and peppers. I use a little Pam spray in a non-stick pan to cut down on oil, top it off with parmesean cheese and sriracha sauce. I can get a heaping, and I mean heaping, plate for less than 200 calories. I usually add a 3-ounce serving of chicken to it, so I will get a plate that will leave me absolutely stuffed for about 400 calories.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I make various wraps using broccoli slaw mix instead of rice. That gives it a great crunchy texture with very low calories. I can make a chicken Thai wrap for just 250 calories that way.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing I love is laughing cow cheese wedges. Spread a little on each piece of broccoli and cauliflower. So good.