Friends with celiac disease

Options
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with celiac six years ago and have been gluten free ever since. I was terribly malnourished but am beginning to gain a little. I'm looking for friends to share recipes and support. I try to "just eat real foods," but I'm so tired of what I have been fixing over and over and over. My diary is open to friends and I do log daily. I'm trying very hard to watch my nutrients.

Replies

• Melzine
    Melzine Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I feel you let's swoop recipes and b friends
  • Melzine
    Options
    I love going to my local hometown wal-mart store they have a aisle just for gluten free diets. They are different from regular Super Wally World
  • Melzine
    Options
    I make some delicious gluten free cookies
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago and gained 9 pounds in the first 6-9 months. I just tend to eat a lot of foods that are gluten free or convert things I used to make.

Those first 6-9 months were hard but I think I've finally settled into the gluten free thing. It still gets hard when going out to eat.
  • rebelriesling_
    rebelriesling_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed for less than a year and am doing well with the transition. I agree that eating out is hard! I've been "glutened" a few times so I try to cook most of my own meals and save going out for special occasions.
    I have some great recipes I can share :)
    Feel free to add me and I can message them!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I do not have celiacs but I am gluten free due to Hashimoto's disease.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    7 years now I have been diagnosed and the American spelling of coeliac still amuses me. I also have an open food diary if anyone would like a few pointers or tips.
    I was diagnosed a year ago and gained 9 pounds in the first 6-9 months. I just tend to eat a lot of foods that are gluten free or convert things I used to make.

Those first 6-9 months were hard but I think I've finally settled into the gluten free thing. It still gets hard when going out to eat.

I used to hate eating out, I hated asking at restaurants, I always felt awkward and that I was putting them out but you'll be surprised at how accommodating places can be. Here in UK many places now have separate allergy menus which is great.

As for eating out at lunch or take away can prove pretty difficult, I now meal prep every meal that I eat midweek and look forward to getting out to a restaurant as often as I can.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7 years now I have been diagnosed and the American spelling of coeliac still amuses me. I also have an open food diary if anyone would like a few pointers or tips.

I used to hate eating out, I hated asking at restaurants, I always felt awkward and that I was putting them out but you'll be surprised at how accommodating places can be. Here in UK many places now have separate allergy menus which is great.

As for eating out at lunch or take away can prove pretty difficult, I now meal prep every meal that I eat midweek and look forward to getting out to a restaurant as often as I can.

I still get a bit embarrassed that I have to tell everyone that I have celiac disease. It's getting easier but sometimes I love going somewhere I can eat everything and not have to talk about it.

I also get tired of the same restaurants and the same foods at those restaurants. I miss being able to order anything off the menu!

I was nervous the first time I traveled but Las Vegas restaurants were amazingly accommodating. I just got back from Maui and there were a ton of places I could go and staff really knew their stuff. It was fantastic.

Places are slowly adding separate menus and educating their staff. It's getting better!

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I still get a bit embarrassed that I have to tell everyone that I have celiac disease. It's getting easier but sometimes I love going somewhere I can eat everything and not have to talk about it.

I also get tired of the same restaurants and the same foods at those restaurants. I miss being able to order anything off the menu!

I was nervous the first time I traveled but Las Vegas restaurants were amazingly accommodating. I just got back from Maui and there were a ton of places I could go and staff really knew their stuff. It was fantastic.

Places are slowly adding separate menus and educating their staff. It's getting better!

I couldn't agree more, there was a drive here a few years ago from ceoliacUK which really helped move this along. Apparently I've read that its the most under diagnosed disease in the first world which is probably why so many places are acting on it. I can totally vouch for that too, I cant tell you the amount of silly reasons I was given for my symptoms in the 10 years leading to me diagnosis.

My auntie was diagnosed over 40 years ago, it was fascinating listening to some of her stories. You think we have it rough? Back then they barely had an form of GF alternatives and anything that was "tasted like cardboard", so I'm just happy that restaurants try to cater and are starting to educate staff.

Since I was diagnosed I've seen on or two changes myself, I couldn't find a pizza for the life of me when I first went GF but now Dominoes and Pizza Hut too name a couple have them listed on their menus. Fantastic!