Does protein from different sources act the same way?

Options
I know protein shake mix/ protein bars are good for muscle recovery, but does protein from other sources act the same way? For some examples: chicken, greek yogart, eggs, milk, beef jerky and peanut butter all have a high amount of protein.

So what i am asking is eating enough beef jerky that gives 21g of protein the same as eating a protein bar with 21g protein or drinking a protein shake with 21g protein? In the sense of muscle recovery.

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    So what i am asking is eating enough beef jerky that gives 21g of protein the same as eating a protein bar with 21g protein or drinking a protein shake with 21g protein? In the sense of muscle recovery.

Eh. This is a down-the-rabbit hole topic, but yeah, those are all good sources.

Some kinds of protein are digested faster than others and some people will eat different things before bed than say, right after lifting. But that's pretty advanced body-builder stuff; most people don't need to worry about all that.

If you want to read more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate has highest biological value, followed by eggs. Then meats, then plants.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    What do you suppose gladiators ate, or Knights? Protein powder? Lol.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I, too, will also say "Eh."

Overall, for the average guy not trying to reach elite levels of strength/muscle mass, you really don't need to worry about your protein sources too much.

But for a very high level explanation, whey protein (as in the actual amino acid) is very quickly absorbed and spikes muscle protein synthesis much quicker than something like chicken. Casein protein (again, the amino acid itself) is at the opposite end of the spectrum, not spiking protein synthesis nearly as quickly but absorbing much more slowly so that muscle protein systhesis lasts much longer (which is why bodybuilders like to take it before bed).
    One strategy is to take whey and casein together so that the whey spikes protein synthesis while the casein maintains those spiked levels for a longer time.
    Meat and egg proteins will fall somewhere into the middle of the spectrum (whey and casein are both milk proteins just fyi).

But again, if you're the average recreational lifter. You really don't need to worry too much about it and just make sure you get enough protein overall.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What do you suppose gladiators ate, or Knights? Protein powder? Lol.

Ha funny i just imagined gladiators taking creatine before there fight and have a protein shake ready for when they win.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I, too, will also say "Eh."

Overall, for the average guy not trying to reach elite levels of strength/muscle mass, you really don't need to worry about your protein sources too much.

But for a very high level explanation, whey protein (as in the actual amino acid) is very quickly absorbed and spikes muscle protein synthesis much quicker than something like chicken. Casein protein (again, the amino acid itself) is at the opposite end of the spectrum, not spiking protein synthesis nearly as quickly but absorbing much more slowly so that muscle protein systhesis lasts much longer (which is why bodybuilders like to take it before bed).
    One strategy is to take whey and casein together so that the whey spikes protein synthesis while the casein maintains those spiked levels for a longer time.
    Meat and egg proteins will fall somewhere into the middle of the spectrum (whey and casein are both milk proteins just fyi).

But again, if you're the average recreational lifter. You really don't need to worry too much about it and just make sure you get enough protein overall.

Good info. Now what would a recreational lifter look like in body fat% wise compared to a heavy lifter/endurance trainer?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    That's going to vary widely for both groups. Bodybuilders are going to have single digit body fat, power lifters may range from 10-30%, endurance athletes will likely have very low body fat, recreational lifters could cover the spectrum depending on their goals and where they are in their fitness journey...