Protein Ideas

Options
I work with a trainer and am horribly out of shape. A couple days after working out, I'm really sore. He said to eat more protein. I have Pure Protein bars that I love, but I'm having a hard time coming up with high protein ideas. They also have to be low in calories to fit into the 1600 calories that I eat each day. Any ideas anyone?

Replies

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese :)
  • pvignard
    pvignard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chicken! low calories, high protein!

Eggs are good too. There is some light yoghurt with high protein intake (called "serré" here in Switzerland, no idea in english).

Otherwise, if you really can't make it => whey protein! you can find some pure protein whey, it will help catch-up your protein deficit.

Oh and I almost forgot! Fish! Really good low calorie high proteine food (not salmon, mind, too greasy but things like cod fish is good)
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    pvignard wrote: »
    Oh and I almost forgot! Fish! Really good low calorie high proteine food (not salmon, mind, too greasy but things like cod fish is good)

Is tuna fish okay?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask if you are a vegetarian, but it seems not, so lean meat (including fish and shellfish). Tuna is fine.

Also dairy (esp. cottage cheese and greek yogurt), eggs, and legumes (beans, lentils). Nuts and nut butters are okay, but not a huge source (they are great for other reasons, of course).

Just look at your diary, see where you are getting protein, and increase the portion size, perhaps. I try to get a decent amount at every meal.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer and am horribly out of shape. A couple days after working out, I'm really sore. He said to eat more protein. I have Pure Protein bars that I love, but I'm having a hard time coming up with high protein ideas. They also have to be low in calories to fit into the 1600 calories that I eat each day. Any ideas anyone?

Fish.. any type of fish
    Breast .. Any type of breast, chicken, turkey.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just google "high protein foods, chart" print it out, put it on your fridge or wherever, and try to buy and work some of those foods into your routine. Better than the piecemeal lists you will get here.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Chia Seeds
    Farro
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eat chicken breast as much as humanly possible.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Shakes can be a lifesaver. I use hemp protein and unflavored whey protein and mix them in with unsweetened soymilk, Ovaltine (!), PB Fit, and cacao powder. Forty-six grams of protein and 16 g. of fiber for 360 calories is a good trade. Let me know if you want the recipe; I'll post it.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A protein powder (I use harmonized vegan) post workout can be helpful. Egg whites if you eat animal products are very high in protein and low in calorie.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Everybody has given me such great ideas. I'll incorporate them into my diet and hopefully I won't be sore for longer than a day. I did squats on Tuesday and still am in quite a bit of pain. It's hard to stand up and sit down. I got a good workout though! I just need to recover quicker and eating protein will help me with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

meat, poultry, fish, eggs and egg whites, greek yogurt, edamame, tofu, whey or other protein supplements.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cwolfman13. I would also say that if you are sore from exercising because you started a new exercise program, protein is not going to alleviate that. It can help with recovery a bit, but you'll still be sore until your body adjusts.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your trainer should not be pushing you so hard on your beginning workouts. Tell him you are too sore and want to start slower. Many trainers think their clients want to be puking after their workout, which is a terrible way to get started. Ideally dump the trainer entirely and follow a simple lifting program like stronglifts.com