For losing weight, what do you guys find most helpful to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat at Taco Bell and Subway a lot. That must be key.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i drink less alcohol, eat less starches, breads and creamy cheesey sauces. and i eat tons more fresh non starchy vegetables.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Food, usually.

Sometimes beer.

Sometimes wine.

Sometimes the souls of New Year's resolutioners.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Nothing in particular, really. I had to learn what a proper portion of foods was, which took a while. And in doing so, learned to swap out some things for better choices, such as eating a little less meat and adding some veggies to dinner, but I didn't cut ANYTHING out. Doing that helped me stay on target this time around. Learning to adjust my eating habits also means I'm able to monitor myself and KEEP the weight off, which is more valuable to me!

If you're looking for a specific diet plan, there are lots of things that work for different people, and if one seems like something you'd like to try, go ahead and try it. But after a couple of weeks, ask yourself 'do i want to eat this way the rest of my life?' If the answer is no, it's not for you. Just because it works for some people doesn't mean it will have to work for you. Adjust your eating habits in a way that works FOR YOU.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    PB 2 I absolutely love this stuff. It satisfies my peanut butter craving for a fraction of the calories.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ADean3182 wrote: »
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I've learned to make skinny versions of the food I enjoy. Skinnytaste.com has the most amazing recipes - has me salivating over food I never thought I would eat before. e.g. I had the most delish zucchini pancakes - mmmm... I get excited about my meals, which is awesome :)

Just checked out the site - looks sweet! Thanks for the suggestion!

I agree - I do the same thing as in trying to make the same kind of foods but in a "healthy" or "skinny" way. One huge thing that has helped is making the right breakfast decision. I've had good luck with a protein smoothie, with a banana and PB powder. I add chia seeds so you feel fuller longer, and some kale. I really don't think about food until noon or later.

I love soups - and you can make a low calorie soup packed with veggies or other good stuff. I've been making this a lot (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/veggistrone.html) and you can tweak it to what you like or don't like. Super good!

Looks good! I make a soup like this I call veggie drawer soup. Whatever is left in there before the next shopping day goes in the pot + basic broth, spices etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,796 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some variety to my diet. I don't want it to be heavy on carbs, but I also want to enjoy my meals and snacks. Suggestions?

For me, it's about the process: I just started by eating less of what I'd already been eating, and logging it carefully. Then I'd look over my diary afterward & decide which things weren't giving me enough satisfaction or nutrition for their number of calories, and reduce those, while increasing other things that either made me happy, provided good nutrition, or helped me feel full. I look out for ideas of foods I haven't tried that are reportedly healthful, satisfying or nutritious; I try them, and if I find them tasty & affordable, I keep eating them.

CICO (Calories In < Calories Out) should work for everyone. But satisfaction & tastes differ wildly.

For me, I now eat fewer of what I consider "meaningless carbs" - pasta, breads, and the like - because I don't really love them (but I'm not on a "low carb diet"). I eat plenty of veggies (find them satisfying and filling). I love oatmeal, Greek yogurt, fruit, legumes of all kinds. I feel more satisfied if I get plenty of protein, and I focus a lot on that. I also try to get healthy fats (nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocado, etc.) at every meal because they're satisfying and help maximize absorption of the veggies' nutrients. Nowadays, more of my snacks are protein-y (crispy chickpeas, say) rather than carb-y (like chips).

But your mileage may vary.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Lots of lean protein and veggies as the base most of the time then anything I want really. Had Chinese food for dinner tonight, pizza, cheesecake and pancakes earlier in the week. It's been one of those weeks but I just make sure I'm still close enough to goal.

It's a big learning curve at first, working out how to stretch your calories, what sacrifices to make (if any). So less saucy things, more with dry seasonings, fewer starchy carbs so I can fill up on lots of veggies for fewer calories and allow for treats. But nothing is off limits and if I crave it for more than a couple of days I'll generally just indulge.
  • kellygbrantley23
    Options
    I haven't had the chance to open this but holy cow all the responses. Thank you guys so much. SO many great suggestions. It's nice to know I can eat healthy and still enjoy the taste of my food.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Stir fry! Chicken + every veggie in the house+ ginger + garlic = yummy
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    like others have said. i eat what i ate before, but less. there were a few items that i took a while to reintroduce into my diet. and i had to learn how to not overeat them. pizza, for example. it took me a few months after i started losing weight to start eating it again. i had to learn to just have a slice at a time rather than two or three. but then it was fun because i had leftovers :) i actually just reintroduced fried chicken into my diet this past week. i had a real thing for the fried chicken you get at the grocery deli counter. like the pizza, i might have three pieces at a time. i did great just having a serving/piece at a time this week. and also like with pizza...leftovers:-) weird thing is i get the same happy satisfaction over not feeling overly full that used to come from being stuffed. i used to love that stuffed feeling.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Honestly the easiest way is to take the food you eat, deconstruct it, make swaps for the high calorie items, and eat that instead
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly the same as before, but restructured:

I cook almost all my meals from scratch, instead of just occasionally and relying on convenience foods.
    I allow more naturally occurring fat (full fat dairy (also butter), meat, nuts, oils), but the portions are overall smaller.
    I eat more structured - plan my meals, eat regular meals, no eating between meals, portion out foods over several days instead of wolfing down all I can and throw away the rest a couple of weeks later (yes I'm ashamed).
    I weigh uncountable calorific foods instead of just pouring out a heap.
    I buy components instead of prepared foods - for instance natural Greek yogurt, nuts and honey, or banana/milk based smoothies, instead of fruit flavored yogurt or ice cream.
    I tried to keep eating some vegetables every day even when I ate at may badliest, but now I eat a portion at EVERY MEAL.
    I only eat what I like now, nothing just because it's supposed to be healthy.
    I only drink water, tea or black coffee between meals; I taught myself to cut sugar/lemon and milk.
    I've cut out artificial sweeteners.
    I reserve treats for special occasions, sweets and chips are not consumed every day anymore.
  • scrampmama
    scrampmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use modified Paleo to decrease processed foods and control sodium, drink more water, especially before each meal, and try new recipes from Skinny Mom, Hungry Girl, Cooking Light, Epicurious, and Pinterest. Found I love roasted brussels sprouts with herbs de Provence! And the biggest differences- meal planning, and having nutrition-rich, low cal snacks pre measured in my purse, car, and at home. Relegated splurge items to one cabinet that's more inconvenient. And of course, ALWAYS JOURNAL EVERY FOOD!
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I eat everything I ate before... just less of it.

Yes this ^^^^
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »
    Stir fry! Chicken + every veggie in the house+ ginger + garlic = yummy

Stir fries are a GREAT way to get protein, fat and veggies!