TACO MAC

Options
akern1987
akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
Taco Mac (ok, so I'm not claiming it's the heathiest, especially if you go with the full fat versions of all the incredients, but it is delicious, and quick!)

1 packet Taco Seasoning (any will do)

1lb ground beef (or turkey)

1 box elbow Macaroni (really any small pasta will be fine)

1 jar plain tomato sauce

2 tbsp butter (or margarine)

Shredded cheese (Mexican blend)

1 can black beans (drained well and rinsed)

1 can corn (drained well)

½ small red onion finely chopped (optional)

put on a pot of water to boil the noodles (salt the water)
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet
Once the beef is almost done throw in the black beans, corn, onion and half the taco seasoning packet. Let simmer 2 minutes
Add the tomato sauce and turn down heat, continue to stir and let cook 5-10 minutes

Drain Pasta and put back into pot, add butter to noodles

Combine the noodles with the sauce mixture
Add shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Serve with a dollop of sour cream or quac.

Delicious (makes between 6-8 servings)

Replies

• sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    yummmm
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    This sounds great! thanks for posting
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! Do you know the nutritional values for it?
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Even more awesome when you add tortilla chips. Excellent munchie food! :smokin:
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Penguino_1005
    Options
    Bump
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Taco Mac (ok, so I'm not claiming it's the heathiest, especially if you go with the full fat versions of all the incredients, but it is delicious, and quick!)

Then why is it here? I thought this was a recipe board for healthy recipes. Am I the only one who thought that? Is it really just for any recipes?

Anyways posting the nutritional content let's the reader decide if a recipe is healthy for them based on their individual goals. For instance right now any recipe with lot's of red meat would be healthy for me since I am trying to boost my iron. I wish everyone would post the nutritional content of their recipes. It's like always what I'm looking for when I pop in here but doesn't always happen. Just a wish, not a complaint or slam. And just an innocent question about the healthy recipes topic or the purpose of this thread section.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a recipe board for healthy recipes.

I would agree, that's the impression I get based on this website, but this one doesn't seem to be unhealthy to me, as, if you divide it into 6 servings, (I bet it will probably make 8 1-cup) its about 600 calories.

This is what I got when I plugged it into the recipe function on here, using high fiber pasta (12 oz), 28 oz tomato sauce, 90/10 ground beef, and 2 cups of shredded lite mexican blend cheese:

Per Serving: Cal:603 Carbs:64 Fat:20 Protien:44 Sodium:1092 Fiber:9
  • Sunitagt
    Options
    Same ingredients I noted, at 8 servings:

Per Serving:
    Calories 452
    Carb 48
    Fat 15
    Protien 33
    Sodium 819
    Fiber 7
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Then why is it here? I thought this was a recipe board for healthy recipes. Am I the only one who thought that? Is it really just for any recipes?

Anyways posting the nutritional content let's the reader decide if a recipe is healthy for them based on their individual goals. For instance right now any recipe with lot's of red meat would be healthy for me since I am trying to boost my iron. I wish everyone would post the nutritional content of their recipes. It's like always what I'm looking for when I pop in here but doesn't always happen. Just a wish, not a complaint or slam. And just an innocent question about the healthy recipes topic or the purpose of this thread section.

is the message board called "healthy recipes"? as I'm sure it just says recipes...People can post like they like in my opinion...weather you take note of it or you don't then that's up too you.

also around 500 cals a serving for dinner isn't that bad in my books either, I find a lot of people don't post nutritional content because everyone's come out different depending on products used. Users don't like it when things are wrong and will have a go about it.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I calculated it with Dreamfields elbow macaroni, ground turkey, omitting the butter, and using 1/2 cup full fat shredded cheddar and got ~450 calories per serving when serving six.

This is actually the kind of recipe that can keep people going strong. It's like normal American food, and yet, a comforting dinner at around 450 cals is just what I need some nights.

I think anyone who is actively losing weight and finds a recipe they like should post it on this board. It is up to each individual to decide whether any posted recipe fits into their plan or not.
  • akern1987
    Options
    Same ingredients I noted, at 8 servings:

Per Serving:
    Calories 452
    Carb 48
    Fat 15
    Protien 33
    Sodium 819
    Fiber 7

Thanks so much for posting this, I didnt have it at the time, but I do appreciate it!
    I hope everyone enjoys it!
    thanks again!
  • akern1987
    Options
    This is actually the kind of recipe that can keep people going strong. It's like normal American food, and yet, a comforting dinner at around 450 cals is just what I need some nights.

I think anyone who is actively losing weight and finds a recipe they like should post it on this board. It is up to each individual to decide whether any posted recipe fits into their plan or not.

Thanks much! :)
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So I made the Taco Mac last night. Husband and I both really liked it, and I came in under my calorie goal for the day. Next time I'll probably add some chopped bell and jalapeno peppers and maybe some fresh tomatoes. You could also easily hide grated zucchini and/or carrots in this recipe.

Great recipe!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    sounds good...
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It seems that all recipes are welcome, which is cool to me. You can either make it with lower calorie ingredients, or go all out. It seems that the all out version isn't all that bad.

My impression of this site is for people to get healthy, but most people don't eat the healthiest food 24/7. Some days, you splurge a bit. And this is a good recipe to splurge, that isn't a 1000 calories a serving. And there's a lot of those types of recipes out there.
  • Sunitagt
    Options
    Made this tonight and divided it up for lunches for our workweek. It definitely made 8 hearty servings for about 450 each. Great recipe, and I agree with above, I'll probably add some jalapenos next time.