how often do you weigh?

Options
2»

Replies

• tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weight 2-3 times a day as well but only log on Monday mornings. Although I wish I had chosen Thursdays since it is always my lowest. Obsessive? Yes, but I don't really let it affect me. If it gets you down then stop. If it keeps you motivated than it may even help. As everyone else says weight fluctuates day to day. Try and be as consistent as possible for long term tracking, same day of the week at the same time. Excel is your friend.
  • squidgy10
    squidgy10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do think my weigh ins have an effect mentally...like when I weigh on a Sunday and am happy with a little loss over the week, then have a tough hour long netball match on Sunday eve, don't over eat & weigh more Monday morning (I always thought the match made me heavier but didn't know why - muscles absorbing water or something???) then I start the week really well, see it go down, then self-sabotage!!! It really is not a healthy relationship. I think they might have to go! If they are in the house I will seek them out. A friend has some at work so could weigh in there weekly.
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Once a day but always in the morning after the bathroom. Always been told that's the most accurate time to do it since weight flunctuates throughout the day. I don't even like doing it once a day since I consume so much water and the weights of my meals are always different so it looks strange. Considering changing it to every three days to take a look.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week + measurements twice a month. I find that doing both keeps me from getting hung up on that little black flashing number on the scale. The scale has one job: weigh everything. It weighs water, it weighs food in your stomach, it weighs poo. It weighs the lint in between your toes. And it does that job very well, but it's just one job. Don't let a stupid machine with blinky black numbers rule you. It only knows one thing, and you're a whole complete human system. :)
  • kabigelow
    kabigelow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month, so I dont get discouraged if I have a "bad week". You should do whatever works for you but be realistic :) good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    nillagfx wrote: »
    Once a day but always in the morning after the bathroom. Always been told that's the most accurate time to do it since weight flunctuates throughout the day. I don't even like doing it once a day since I consume so much water and the weights of my meals are always different so it looks strange. Considering changing it to every three days to take a look.

It fluctuates not just through the day, but from day to day. And even if you ate and drank exactly the same from day to day, your weight would fluctuate. It does indeed look strange, but that's normal. Life is strange.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same until I realized.. this is silly. Once a week is best.. but if you really need to do it. Go on every morning.. and move on with your day. Your weight will fluctuate all day long.. so unless you want to make yourself nutso, read a book instead. :smile:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    squidgy10 wrote: »
    I am obsessive about stepping on the scales (2-3 times per day).

Why? What is your point? What are you going to learn from the scale?
    I can easily put on a large amount of weight in a short amount of time

Intra-day fluctuations are meaningless.
  • judicap81
    judicap81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    squidgy10 wrote: »
    I am obsessive about stepping on the scales (2-3 times per day). I know this morning is not healthy. Got my hubby to hide the scales but started to panic I was gaining weight so searched the house and found them! I can easily put on a large amount of weight in a short amount of time . What do you do? How do I wean myself off???

Once a day!
  • judicap81
    Options
  • judicap81
    Options
    Once a day is fine!
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week on mondays for my "official weigh in" (i.e. the one i log). I do check it a couple of times during the week usually on wednesday and friday...but i don't stress over those....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Every other week.

Ultimately frequency doesn't matter as long as you ignore the reading-to-reading fluctuations and focus on the long-term trend line.
  • afigirl113
    afigirl113 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have always heard you are your lightest when you first wake up, after you pee of course. I weigh every morning, but never more than once in a day
  • computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day in the morning before having anything to eat or drink. I keep a trend line going to see the real weight progress.