Box squats

I'm a strength newbie and have been started off on the basics - leg press, front squats, box squats etc. I'm progressing nicely with everything, gradually working my way up to 3x15. Except for box squats, which are defeating me. I seem to be stuck at about 3x7 or 3x8 per session. Any more reps and I simply can't get my (not insubstantial) body up off the box step.

Can anyone give me any tips or is it just a case of "if it's tough, it's working"?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    if you are still really struggling then don't up the weight- and or suck it up and use the 2.5's.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    you need to have the right weight. But also stay engaged the whole lift, you probably can't get up on that last rep because you relaxed on the box and lost your muscle engagement.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited February 2016
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you need to have the right weight. But also stay engaged the whole lift, you probably can't get up on that last rep because you relaxed on the box and lost your muscle engagement.

That's exactly what I do - sort of "plonk" down which means the next squat is really tough. I'll bear it in mind next time and power through!

Thanks both.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited February 2016
    What program are you on? What are your stats (age, weight, height, training background, current weights lifted).

And yes, you are not supposed to 'plonk' down as you get no work with your eccentric (negative) phase. Decrease the weights, and slow down the eccentric motion - it will feel much harder/better even at a lighter weight.
  • SonyaCele
    its hard but keep your glutes squeezed as tight as you can the entire lift. Also, you mentioned you are working towards 3x15. any particular reason so many reps? Thats kinda a lot of reps. If you are going for strength you would be better off doing sets of 5 or less. It will also be easier to keep your concentration and engagement on less reps, and you will get more bang for your buck.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Very new at the moment so no weights (other than 230lbs of body weight!) for the squats and box squats. Doing 15x170lbs for the leg press.

No idea why 15 reps - the PT I worked with on plan suggested that I not add weight until I had the form right for the moves. Once I could do 3x15 without weights then we could add weights.
  • SonyaCele
    well, i don't know about your PT, but just because you can do 15 reps doesn't necessarily mean you have good form and should add weight. You can develop great form on sets of 3 or 5 or 1. But if you are on a plan with a PT, stick to the plan, he must be a reason. but you could ask him about using TRX to assist with your squats and form and then you'd be able to get to that 15th rep while learning form and gaining some strength , the TRX will allow you to assist where needed so you can really focus on form and engagement.