So confused what is the correct answer

Options
I am trying to find the correct answer do I weigh my food raw or cooked ie. Meat, fish chicken? The answers are all over the place on this. Using the data base should it not be always measure ..,,,,, unless specified specific way. The database usually doesn't specify cooked or raw. Sooo when I research this question the answers are always all over the place..

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Raw
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Everything should be measured raw unless otherwise specified on the nutrition label.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Whether you weigh raw or cooked make sure you find the correct nutrition information from the database.

If unsure you can look up the food in question (fish, chicken, etc) in the USDA food database. The USDA has information for both raw and cooked.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

I personally weigh my food raw.
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok ty. Of course my preference has been cooked. Possibly my weight loss not happening caz I have been weighing cooked. Thx.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I always measure raw and don't worry about the weight once it is cooked.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Raw, dry, etc. The nutritional information is based on the food as is--unprepared. Because they can't account for how you're going to prepare it which will add nutrients/calories.
  • Feistychick68
    Options
    Thx for the link shadow and all the replies. Apparently I've been doing it wrong
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ok ty. Of course my preference has been cooked. Possibly my weight loss not happening caz I have been weighing cooked. Thx.

I'd like to see what entries you've been using. Would you please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Feistychick68
    Options
    I changed it. But I have only recently been diligent in tracking. Does the raw apply the same for rice, noodles ie. Sb dry than I imagine. I sooo have been doing this wrong. Oprah should share her ppl to be my measuring *kitten*.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What if you enter the weight cooked, as in find an entry that says for example "tilapia, cooked" then enter the necessary ounces or grams?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I changed it. But I have only recently been diligent in tracking. Does the raw apply the same for rice, noodles ie. Sb dry than I imagine. I sooo have been doing this wrong. Oprah should share her ppl to be my measuring *kitten*.

Definitely dry. The amount it will weigh after it's cooked will vary depending on the cook time and how much water was absorbed.
    Most packages of rice/noodles I buy typically state that the nutritional information is for a certain dry portion.
  • Feistychick68
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thx everyone