Becoming Vegan

Options
I'd like to become a Vegan, 1st for my own health, 2nd for the environment & 3rd for animals. Since I am on a budget & have to like the taste of what I consume, my goal is to try something vegan every week; until I have tried & liked enough main dishes, sides & desserts, to be able to be a Vegan comfortably; by having at least a month's worth of variety. I also tried to find Vegan restaurants, in my area (a reasonable walking/bus distance, since I don't drive) but I don't like my vegetables raw & that was the only type/1, that I found. My 1st priority is taste (only my tongue, can figure this), my 2nd is satiety (what keeps you satiated, especially produce wise?) & my 3rd is animal substitutions (what have you substituted dairy, meat & poultry with?).

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Beans. Would you eat them?
    Green salads?
    Why not turn vegan slowly? Give up red meat first for a month? Keep fish on your list for the omega 3's?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There's a book called the $4 dollar vegan check it out and there are vegan on a budget books and sites. I am newly vegan. You are welcome to look at my diary and add me! Any questions I'll try to help! Good luck♥️
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Green salads?
    Why not turn vegan slowly? Give up red meat first for a month? Keep fish on your list for the omega 3's?

Yes I like beans & salad.
    That's what I am going to do. I actually don't consume much meat currently, it's more like a side; rather than a main dish or it's mixed into a main dish. I believe that my main challenge, will be with substituting cheese.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's a book called the $4 dollar vegan check it out and there are vegan on a budget books and sites. I am newly vegan. You are welcome to look at my diary and add me! Any questions I'll try to help! Good luck♥️

I'll definitely look for that book, thank you very much; I'll send a friend request!

ETA: While looking into this book, I also found others; hopefully my library has them.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options

My gosh, thank you very much; for all of these links!
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Search for The Vegan Corner on YouTube, they have some great recipes!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jessypug wrote: »
    Search for The Vegan Corner on YouTube, they have some great recipes!

Will do, thank you!

ETA: Since I am best at visual learning, I just watched 1 (Vegan Nutella); it's awesome!
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Daiya is a vegan cheese. It could probably help with the cravings until you don't crave it anymore. If cheese is the only thing holding you back, then you should be fine. I found it extremely hard to eat on the go when I was on a plant-based diet. I went on vacation with flesh eaters and couldn't find much to eat that was vegan. Where you live and availability plays a role as well.

Vegetarianism is for the weak... I'm weak. Good luck with your transition!
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am not a vegan but do cook like one a lot and find that there are lots of vegan cheeses and dairy like products (milk, yogurt and ice creams). I have found I like most of the milks and yogurts, but the cheese is the hard one for me to get use to. You have to just start trying them until you find the ones you like. I find it may take some time but you will find viable substitutions. Asking true vegans will get you the best results on which ones they prefer.
    I found it extremely hard to eat on the go when I was on a plant-based diet. I went on vacation with flesh eaters and couldn't find much to eat that was vegan. Where you live and availability plays a role as well.

I do agree with it is hard to eat out, but I have tried to implement vegan recipes in every kitchen I have worked in and have started seeing it happen in more places cause the old guard as to not see it as a fad but a way of the new world.

• MondayJune22nd2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Daiya is a vegan cheese. It could probably help with the cravings until you don't crave it anymore. If cheese is the only thing holding you back, then you should be fine. I found it extremely hard to eat on the go when I was on a plant-based diet. I went on vacation with flesh eaters and couldn't find much to eat that was vegan. Where you live and availability plays a role as well.

@chastity0921 I believe that the most important thing to do, is what's within reason; for ourselves because we all have limitations & we're also animals. If we stress ourselves concerning our limitations, then we're still harming animals; which is ourselves. I don't believe that you're weak, I believe that you're doing; the best that you reasonably're able to. I am hypoglycemic, to live sometimes I don't get to choose when I eat; let alone what. For instance medications're tested on animals, I wouldn't fault a Vegan for taking a necessary medication for their survival; as being any less of a Vegan.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    kingjabou wrote: »
    I am not a vegan but do cook like one a lot and find that there are lots of vegan cheeses and dairy like products (milk, yogurt and ice creams). I have found I like most of the milks and yogurts, but the cheese is the hard one for me to get use to. You have to just start trying them until you find the ones you like. I find it may take some time but you will find viable substitutions. Asking true vegans will get you the best results on which ones they prefer.

Milk was an easy 1, for me because unless it was vanilla, cookies & cream flavored or mixed in sugary cereal, I didn't like it. I haven't tried cashew milk yet but love soy & almond. Coconut milk, is sort of watery though; otherwise I love coconut. This sort of makes me wish that I lived, in a city because living in the suburbs, makes finding things vegan; beyond produce & milk difficult.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Milk was an easy 1, for me because unless it was vanilla, cookies & cream flavored or mixed in sugary cereal, I didn't like it. I haven't tried cashew milk yet but love soy & almond. Coconut milk, is sort of watery though; otherwise I love coconut. This sort of makes me wish that I lived, in a city because living in the suburbs, makes finding things vegan; beyond produce & milk difficult.
    I too live in a suburb, but found that the markets are starting to carry more vegan friendly items and also found an Asian specialty market and they carry much more and are will to get things if asked.

• MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    kingjabou wrote: »
    I to live in a suburb, but found that the markets are starting to carry more vegan friendly items and also found an Asian specialty market and they carry much more and are will to get things if asked.

That's great, we also have veggie burgers, I haven't tried them because I'd like to make my own, if I am able to. Since I'm trying to be healthier, I'd like to avoid anything already made because I'd like to control the ingredients. Which is why I'll try to make my own milk also. Whereas before I just bought that milk as a tasteful alternative, to cow's milk; not for vegan reasons.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Green salads?

Vegans can easily supplement Omega-3. Eating fish isn't necessary.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Spent the last year moving from omnivore to vegatarian due to personal preference. Gained a ton of weight until researching low fat-high protein plant sources. Traded the fried potatoes, rice, & pasta for lentils, beans & quinoa/seeds. Completely satisfies protein cravings! Recently started completely vegan clean diet. Tip: ferment your veg, legumes, beans and sprout seeds to reduce phytic acids. Pressure cooking (non aluminum pots only) improves digestion as well.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    Green salads?

Vegans can easily supplement Omega-3. Eating fish isn't necessary.

I am sure that as a beginner, I'll be lacking some nutrients but I'll supplement them, as I do currently; with protein.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    Spent the last year moving from omnivore to vegatarian due to personal preference. Gained a ton of weight until researching low fat-high protein plant sources. Traded the fried potatoes, rice, & pasta for lentils, beans & quinoa/seeds. Completely satisfies protein cravings! Recently started completely vegan clean diet. Tip: ferment your veg, legumes, beans and sprout seeds to reduce phytic acids. Pressure cooking (non aluminum pots only) improves digestion as well.

Even before my desire, to become a Vegan, I drastically reduced meat & ate healthier versions of it. So eliminating it, won't be as tough. As for vegan foods that're calorie/glycemic dense, I greatly reduced them also. I consume a lot of spinach & broccoli instead.