Training for a half marathon??

Options
A good friend of mine recently visited and she's noticed all the weight I've lost and the exercise habits I have now. After her visit she told me I've inspired her to start using her treadmill, eating better and eating less. Which is awesome and I couldn't be happier!

Then she asks if I would like train to do a half marathon with her in 2017... Isn't that like 13 miles?? Is that even possible to train in that time? My god! Right now I can only run about 1.25 miles and I'm slow at that. I didn't want to say no, but it seemed VERY ambitious. She said it would be great motivation for her (which it would be for me, too, honestly). So I guess I'm asking. How doable is this? What good info is out there on this? Don't you have to like load up on carbs? I literally don't know the first thing about marathons and I'm terrified. D:

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Its 13.1 most training plans are 3-4 months, but assume your running at least 10miles a week for 'i just want to finish but dont have a time goal' begginners.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I ran my first in nov. I was only running 2 miles at a time, 3-4 days a week when i signed up for it. I chose a longer tham normal 5 month training plan and felt i was pretty prepared. I finished in 2:38:00 which is a 12min mile.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I ran my first in nov. I was only running 2 miles at a time, 3-4 days a week when i signed up for it. I chose a longer tham normal 5 month training plan and felt i was pretty prepared. I finished in 2:38:00 which is a 12min mile.

That's awesome! I don't know, I just never thought about running any races. It would be really cool to do of course. But I am still 20-25lb overweight. I always imagine really fit people doing this.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    A year ago I couldn't run and was overweight.
    I now run all the time, do half marathon distance as my long run on Sundays, and will build that up, as in addition to the half I'm doing in July I plan to run my first full marathon in October.
    I started building my cardiovascular fitness in the gym, and then found I could run 5km no problem, then it was 10km, and I've kept working from there. My short runs are now 14km, and I'm consistently getting faster (averaging about 5 minute kms at the moment, though can do a few at 4:35)
    Losing weight helped heaps. And then, it's just a matter of starting, and doing a bit more each time. Tomorrow I hope to break my record and do 22km. At some point I need to work harder on running for 2 hours straight. And work my way up to 35km or so runs. 3 hour runs. Learning how to hydrate mid run and what gels/sports drinks I like/work for me.
    Good shoes are essential. And good socks! I wore rubbish socks for my run yesterday and now have raw spots on my ankles!
    I'm fairly certain carb loading has been debunked. I think the idea of carb loading is to try to get your body to store as much glycogen as possible to use as fuel, but your body can only store so much so loading is pointless. People generally run out of glycogen at about 20 miles (this is called bonking, or hitting the wall), which is why marathoners need some kind of sugar hit while running (usually gels or sports drinks or even Coke!). But you'd probably be ok with just water for a half.
    Anyway, I'm still a beginner so should stop giving 'advice'!
  • RunningBuryBlue
    RunningBuryBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi. I run a bit, and most of the challenge is mental, not physical. Build up your run length slowly each week (extra 10% maximum, don't go nuts), drink well, enjoy the scenery, and before you know it you will be there.

I find running with others very motivational- maybe try and find a local 5k run to try?

Oh and Good luck!
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can totally train for, and complete, a half marathon next year.

I keep touting this as a great long term planner - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html

Count back from race day and look at working in 12 week blocks. You'll do it.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I don't know, I just never thought about running any races. It would be really cool to do of course. But I am still 20-25lb overweight. I always imagine really fit people doing this.

Yes it is doable! in your training sign up for some shorter distance races, 5k and 10k, you will be surprised by the diversity of runners from age to build.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time.

Most half marathon training plans are 12-16 weeks. Since you have a full year, you'll want to get to running comfortably 15-20 miles per week before you start the actual 'training'. Just go slow. Sign up for some 5ks and 10ks later in the year to get ready for the experience of racing. Gradually add on distance, and don't worry about speed at all right now.

And make sure you have good shoes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far.

Everyone keeps talking about training plans. Is this something I can find online or is this something I have to go to someone and pay them to train me how to run? Sorry, I'm sure I sound very ignorant right now.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Google Hal higdon for a training plan.
    I am using this one for a half in April and I suits me well.
    http://teamu.org/training/halfmarathon/14week/intermediate
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of good advice already, but want to add that last year I came back from a long exercise hiatus and was only able to do walk/runs (only running for 1-2 minutes at a time). I have been working on it consistently for a year and now I regularly run as long as twelve miles. So if you're willing to train, you can be ready to run a half marathon in 2017.

Build your distance gradually, try to do one longer run each week (which doesn't have to be super-long, the point is just to push yourself) until you get to about 20 miles a week overall. Then pick out a training plan -- there are lots of free ones online. Many of them are built for novices who haven't done a half marathon before. Hal Higdon's website has one -- there are many others, but you can take a look at those for a start.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Very helpful! Thank you.
    I ran today and did 1.71 miles straight, so I'm already pushing myself a little further :) I think this will be really good for me. I'm not going to worry about speed at this point. I'm totally happy doing 5mph.
  • larao68
    larao68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty of half and full marathons and even a couple of ultras. I do run/walk method. It's really worked for me. My times are still pretty good and I'm not nearly as worn out and sore at the end of races. Right now I'm at 1:30 run/:30 walk. I invested in a garmin 220 watch to track my intervals. Jeff Galloway has a good website and training plans to use to see how many miles you should be running on your weekly long runs.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/

I don't necessarily think you need to run 14 miles before your half marathon but get up to the 10-12 mile long runs and you'll be good to go!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Very helpful! Thank you.
    I ran today and did 1.71 miles straight, so I'm already pushing myself a little further :) I think this will be really good for me. I'm not going to worry about speed at this point. I'm totally happy doing 5mph.

My advice is to not think about speed at all while you are training for your first HM. You will naturally get faster. Take your time and enjoy your runs. Good luck.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Then she asks if I would like train to do a half marathon with her in 2017... Isn't that like 13 miles?? Is that even possible to train in that time? My god! Right now I can only run about 1.25 miles and I'm slow at that. I didn't want to say no, but it seemed VERY ambitious. She said it would be great motivation for her (which it would be for me, too, honestly). So I guess I'm asking. How doable is this? What good info is out there on this? Don't you have to like load up on carbs? I literally don't know the first thing about marathons and I'm terrified. D:

It certainly is possible. I started running last year on May 9th at the age of 48 and ran my first half marathon October 31st, less than 6 months later, with a sub 2 hour time. I also lost 35 pounds in that time. Now I'm training for my first full marathon on May 14th of this year.

I had never been a runner prior that, and I was really out of shape.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Regarding speed work, for my half I just ran at a slow pace nearly exclusively... What they call a conversational pace. If you can't carry on a conversation without running out of breath, you're going too fast.

Running at this pace allows you to run longer, and with less chance of injury.

After a time you'll naturally become faster. My initial slow pace was about 12 to 13 minute miles. Currently it's 9:30 to 10:00.

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Then she asks if I would like train to do a half marathon with her in 2017... Isn't that like 13 miles?? Is that even possible to train in that time? My god! Right now I can only run about 1.25 miles and I'm slow at that.
    When I started running a year ago, I couldn't run more than a block at a time. I'll be doing my first half marathon in 4 weeks.

Our running group has an 8 week half training plan for people who already run or run/walk 30 minutes three times a week. Since you're doing less than that right now, plan for 3-4 months of training, which means you have PLENTY of time.

Do you need to carb load for a half? Not at all. But you will eat more on days you run. Tomorrow's a long run for me, and I'll burn about 1000 calories during it. I'll eat about 300 during the run, another couple hundred right after for recovery, but that's still 500 more to eat that day. (Heh, this is why I run! LOL)

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »

Yes it is doable! in your training sign up for some shorter distance races, 5k and 10k, you will be surprised by the diversity of runners from age to build.

Concur with this.

I started running with the Couch to 5k program. There are apps for it or you can just use a simple hand timer or watch/phone with a timer. When you start 'running' you do not need to run/sprint, jog as slow as you can in your jogging intervals. Start with only 3 days a week try to get a day off in between. If you need to repeat weeks in the Couch to 5k plan you can. Training to a half marathon in a year plus is totally doable. But also, don't feel pressured to do a half marathon if you don't want to. I was running when a friend of mine convinced me to sign up for one and it kind of took the joy out of running for me. I felt like I had to push myself to increase distance faster than I wanted to and ended up not running the half and stopped running for a while. So while it's doable, if you don't want to do it that's totally fine to.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    After a time you'll naturally become faster. My initial slow pace was about 12 to 13 minute miles. Currently it's 9:30 to 10:00.

This. If I look at mapmyrun, my first recorded run on there was 16 August 2015, 7.7km at 5:37 min/km. If I look at September, I actually got slower for a while, 6.1 km at 6:12 min/km, 6.2km at 6:19 min/km, but then I start speeding up a bit.
    My most recent run was today, 22.33 km at 4:58 min/km pace.
    I have done no speed work. I just run, and the more I run, the further I can go AND the faster I get.
    I'm nothing special whatsoever, OP. A year ago I had quit c25k and had no idea I could ever run any distance at all. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • jeannelawrie
    jeannelawrie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Last year in March I was working on C25K and got the idea to sign up for a half marathon. I signed up for the Disney half in January and last month I finished my first half marathon. You can definitely do this! Just focus on being able to finish, don't worry about time. I loved it and am now planning to do three more half marathons in the next 15 months along with a bunch of 5 and 10Ks. Good luck!