Exercise and "that time of the month"

Options
All women out there know what I am talking about, the feeling inside. The bloating, the internal and external cramps from hell, the cravings, and the utter need to curl up into a ball and die.
I don't want to work out, it hurts. Is there any tips or tricks or even some small thing that you ladies used to get through this horrific week of torture while still staying on course?

Replies

• becondeck
    becondeck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the first day or two is so bad for me that sometimes I find its best to just take those days off from the gym. I still maintain my healthy eating habits (if I'm craving something sweet or chocolate I eat a muscle pharm cookie dough protein bar, good macros and tastes like a chocolate bar!!) and then just get right back to the gym as soon as I feel up to it. I figure it's only a couple days out of the whole month and when I'm curled up in the fetal position unable to move because of my cramps, I think it's best to listen to my body and take the day off. As for eating, I try to tell myself that shark week is no excuse for bingeing. But if I am absolutely going crazy craving something I'll either try to make a healthier version or I'll have the real thing, just a small amount and still track it. Hope that helps! I know lots of people say that exercising during that time of the month makes them feel better and gets rid of their cramps, but that has not been my experience at all!
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I always find working out makes me feel better. Less bloating and cramps. Just don't let it be an excuse, because you essentially spend 1/4 of the year in this state so you just have to get used to continuing to exercise and eat well despite the fact. I find taking magnesium helps. Also, i tend to cut myself some slack on that first day, but then its back at it. Find healthy alternatives for cravings. I make a decadent chocolate treat with greek yogurt, cocoa powder and stevia.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Working out helps ease my cramps a lot
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I curl up into a ball and rest... or if it's a month that's not too bad, I do light exercises. It all depends on how I feel, so I just listen to my body. I'm not usually hungry on the first couple of days, so I don't worry much about staying on goal with my daily calories. But if I am hungry, I'll eat at maintenance.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It really depends. As others have said, if it's very bad I'll just take the day off but generally, it offers relief even if it is just for the hour I'm working out! I also have one or two days where I'm a lot weaker so I still workout but just take it a bit easier so I don't do myself a mischief.

As for food, some months I want to eat the walls so I just allow myself to go over, no big deal.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do you take evening primrose, fish oils or vitamin E? I have also been taking Maca powder which balances out hormones throughout the month and has really helped. (It does have side effects- increased libido and my bum and boobs have grown... none of which has been a negative for me!)
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Working out during ToM always seems to help me with a variety of symptoms (bloat, cramps, irritability, fatigue). With that said, however, my symptoms aren't severe enough to stop me from going-- they just require a little more get-up-and-go than other times in the month.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just take a break. It's only a few days a month.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lately I just pop some tylenol, workout, do some relaxing yoga, then cry in the shower later.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i suck it up and go anyways.

the world doesn't stop because my uterus is mad at me ....
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I walk, and it seems to help. At the very least it distracts me and lifts my mood to get out and get some fresh air. Listing in bed never made me feel better. And I get take - your - breath - away - make - you - cry bad cramps. The only thing that keeps me in is a migraine now.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Or being really sick and it being really cold...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I just curl up in a ball and don't exercise.

I was told once "exercise helps" so I tried it. I've tried it multiple times. No. For me, exercise does not help, it makes it worse.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me tremendously during my ToM. The worse I feel the harder I push myself. I do that to sweat out all my bloating and water retention. I do not cramp at all (that I have noticed) while working out and they don't come back for hours. I've noticed too that my ToM is easier/lighter/tolerable with my weight loss.
  • furylabs
    furylabs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! :)

I can very much relate to feeling the blahs during that time of the month. However, I just keep reminding myself that *any* exercise will make the cramps (or the depression!) much easier to tackle.

I usually motivate myself by promising to workout for at least 10 minutes - and then assess where I am at - can I keep going? Yes! I should definitely try to keep going :-) Often, what happens is that I will go over the 10 minutes of my initial start and notice how energized I am by it. That is very motivating. Then the rest is fairly easy. I just keep tacking on the extra 10 minutes each time I reach the previous 10 minute "hump". If that makes any sense? :D As a result... I often surprise myself once I get moving.

But... this is an important topic for me, actually. Right now I am going through some hormonal issues that I am trying to address via exercise and diet. So I am very interested in the other comments posted here.

As for helping the cramps themselves - I have also heard vit E is helpful. I try to get it from nuts and seeds whenever possible! But I also know I am very low on iron - as soon as got my levels checked and improved them via iron supplementation, I noticed my cramp pain improved greatly.

Anyone else dealing with low iron and/or hormonal issues?

Cheers :)
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Working out then actually helps. Little to no cramps when I exercise. The hardest pert is getting the umph to start.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I do both when Aunt Flow visits me, lol!
    If my body is really tired, I rest.
    If I workout I take it easy.
    The day before my period it's like I hv a ton of energy and usually get a great workout.
    But the day/night before I want to eat everything in sight, I have to really control myself.
    The bloating is theeee worst!
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    furylabs wrote: »

I can very much relate to feeling the blahs during that time of the month. However, I just keep reminding myself that *any* exercise will make the cramps (or the depression!) much easier to tackle.

I usually motivate myself by promising to workout for at least 10 minutes - and then assess where I am at - can I keep going? Yes! I should definitely try to keep going :-) Often, what happens is that I will go over the 10 minutes of my initial start and notice how energized I am by it. That is very motivating. Then the rest is fairly easy. I just keep tacking on the extra 10 minutes each time I reach the previous 10 minute "hump". If that makes any sense? :D As a result... I often surprise myself once I get moving.

But... this is an important topic for me, actually. Right now I am going through some hormonal issues that I am trying to address via exercise and diet. So I am very interested in the other comments posted here.

As for helping the cramps themselves - I have also heard vit E is helpful. I try to get it from nuts and seeds whenever possible! But I also know I am very low on iron - as soon as got my levels checked and improved them via iron supplementation, I noticed my cramp pain improved greatly.

I am dealing with hormonal issues for sure. Just recently figured out I have PMDD, which is pms times a hundred.
    10 days before period, all hell breaks loose. It really sucks this month because I have just got back into logging and exercise and dropped 4 pounds. It's now just days before period, and I have NO energy, depressed, STARVING, and bloated, and have put back 3 pounds of what I'm hoping is water retention. It sucks to see the scale moving back and having no motivation to work out. It's such a struggle to keep my cals under when all I want to do is to eat a meal that would equal my entire days cals!
    People above say "your gonna go through this a 1/4 of your life, get used to it" and " shark week is no excuse to binge" and I need to remember that! It is NOT an excuse. Easier said than done though :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    furylabs wrote: »

I am dealing with hormonal issues for sure. Just recently figured out I have PMDD, which is pms times a hundred.
    10 days before period, all hell breaks loose. It really sucks this month because I have just got back into logging and exercise and dropped 4 pounds. It's now just days before period, and I have NO energy, depressed, STARVING, and bloated, and have put back 3 pounds of what I'm hoping is water retention. It sucks to see the scale moving back and having no motivation to work out. It's such a struggle to keep my cals under when all I want to do is to eat a meal that would equal my entire days cals!
    People above say "your gonna go through this a 1/4 of your life, get used to it" and " shark week is no excuse to binge" and I need to remember that! It is NOT an excuse. Easier said than done though :(

That's me. Except that 'don't use it as an excuse' is nice and all but I was getting the shakes and getting dizzy if I wasn't eating... seriously awful.. this month it started with a 4500 calorie day because I was so hungry and had major cravings and I said ENOUGH and spent a while researching it online... I stopped caffeine, started drinking some special 'period' tea (just googled PMS tea on amazon and got a bunch of things) and stopped all refined sugar/flours. And I actually managed to keep a deficit last week (even with that 4500 calories day!), I still can't believe that it worked. I'm guessing it's probably more the caffeine/low carb than the tea, but heck. I sorta tried it last month but I thought that a slice of bread with breakfast (eggs and bacon) wouldn't be a huge deal, and it turned out that I was wrong...

So that's pretty much my advice to stop cravings... high fat, high protein, high fiber, low carb (I still eat 150g of carbs from veggies, beans, fruit, steel cut oats). Just for those days (I'll go back to eating them on the 3rd day of my period, when my appetite usually gets normal again). And definitely don't start your day with bread or quick oats or something or your day is shot, in my experience.

Otherwise, Advil and tylenol and I'm good to go once the cramps are gone (often have to alternate them every 2 hours though). I have a couple days when I look 4 months pregnant from bloat and it sucks but once the cramps are gone, it's very manageable, honestly.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the severity of your symptoms. Personally, I feel very lucky to have a fairly easy time of it. I am usually only crampy the first day. I skip exercising that day and just get back to it the next day. I do have a bit more hunger and craving for sweets leading up to the first day. I just do my best to make room for some extra sugar and don't worry too much if I go over my calorie goal.

All that said, if my symptoms were more severe, I probably would react differently. I can't fathom trying to exercise while completely miserable, but again, that is different for every woman. I don't force myself to exercise when I am really sick, either, but I know some people do. Just do what feels right to you.