I'm just not hungry!

Options
Hey guys,

This app suggests that I eat 1200 calories a day. Problem is.. I just do not have an appetite! I have always been a light eater and I know it's actually do more damage that good. Does anyone else have this problem? I eat tons of fruits and veggies through out the day with the occasional fish or chicken. I always find myself getting to about 850-1000 calories at the end of my day and it's not enough.

Tips?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose weight, you're definitely able to eat more calories. Eat food you like and the appetite will come back. Oh, and make sure that you are really eating the calories you think you are eating.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before you started dieting? Incorporate more of that into your diet.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Add in more calorie dense foods like cake, cookies, and ice cream.

Also, are you using a food scale? If not, I'm guessing you're already eating close to 1200 and just think you're only at 850-1000.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    At the top of each forum section there are some interesting posts from that section combined into one post labeled "Most Helpful Posts (Must Reads)." If you haven't had a chance yet, definitely check those out.

For instance, at the top of Food and Nutrition you would find this post included: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OP: Not enough ... for what ?
    What is your BMI ?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    All of the above!
    What are you really trying to lose? If you're overweight, you've obviously been eating more!
    That said, healthier choices (primarily more protein, more fiber) can make you feel full. Try adding a healthy fat like avocado or peanut butter to a meal or snack, tweak your serving sizes slightly higher, or add a calorie dense veg like a sweet potato or a piece of additional fruit to your meals & snacks. You don't have to hit all the marks every day, either, but watch that your weekly deficits don't get too huge.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Most people who consistently say they feel full at 800-1000 really are eating closer to 1200. It's easy to be off by that much!
  • abbeyfrae690
    abbeyfrae690 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and weigh 115. I'm just trying to tone and lose minimal fat in all parts of my body. I started eating more sunflower butter and a potato. I'm not going to snack on cake and cookies to add calories lol but I WILL try to incorporate potatoes more often.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and weigh 115. I'm just trying to tone and lose minimal fat in all parts of my body. I started eating more sunflower butter and a potato. I'm not going to snack on cake and cookies to add calories lol but I WILL try to incorporate potatoes more often.

Why not? If you're hitting your macro goals and staying in your calorie goals, what's the problem with cake and cookies as snacks?
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    GO to the gym to tone, do not cut calories to tone. You can spot lose weight through calorie cutting.
  • tincanonastring
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    GO to the gym to tone, do not cut calories to tone. You can spot lose weight through calorie cutting.

Well, there's a body fat percentage component to looking toned, so you need to cut calories to get there. I'm not sure what you mean by "spot lose weight," though. Do you mean losing weight in targeted areas? Because that's not actually something that's possible.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do when I have no appetite - Google a list of calorie dense foods. Keep the ones you like in the house for the days when you have no appetite.
    I will have a scoop of peanut butter every few hours. Surely you can fit in one scoop every few hours ? After 5 spoonfuls, you will have added on about an extra 500 calories ! That would bring you up some without having to feel very stuffed. So get some peanut butter and a spoon :)
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Here's what I do when I have no appetite - Google a list of calorie dense foods. Keep the ones you like in the house for the days when you have no appetite.
    I will have a scoop of peanut butter every few hours. Surely you can fit in one scoop every few hours ? After 5 spoonfuls, you will have added on about an extra 500 calories ! That would bring you up some without having to feel very stuffed. So get some peanut butter and a spoon :)

And a food scale!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat (which is really what "toning" is, lose the fat, reveal the muscle underneath it), a small calorie deficit is best. Lots of proteins to fuel those muscles. And if you have a hard time reaching goal (totally foreign concept to me! LOL), add nuts, olive & coconut oils, butter, full fat dairy, and things like that to your day. Small portions pack good cals, and you reach your daily goals, your body is happy and well fueled, and fat comes off.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

And a food scale!

Definitely a food scale !
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I started with Nutrisystem, and their computer program miscalculated my calories, and set me at the 1200 calorie level. I did it and lost and got used to that level, and then four months later they contacted me to let me know there had been a mistake, i should be at 1500. I didn't trust them anymore then, and ran my numbers at MFP, and they agree so I started trying to eat at that level, but kept finding myself at bedtime with 300 calories left.

Now I keep protein powder on hand, and on nights when i'm full but still need more calories, I have a dessert shake. They're not terribly filling (which I like because if I werent' already full i'd eat some more food) but they get me extra protein, and calories. I've felt way better eating more and am still losing plenty.
  • bogwoppt1
    edited February 2016
    Options

Well, there's a body fat percentage component to looking toned, so you need to cut calories to get there. I'm not sure what you mean by "spot lose weight," though. Do you mean losing weight in targeted areas? Because that's not actually something that's possible.

Oops I meant cannot.

I am assuming that the OP is not overweight, because how could she be if she is a light eater and is not hungry? So I am also assuming she has no weigh to lose and just wants to tone her body.

• tincanonastring
    Options

Oops I meant cannot.

I am assuming that the OP is not overweight, because how could she be if she is a light eater and is not hungry? So I am also assuming she has no weigh to lose and just wants to tone her body.

Gotcha. So, she's 58 inches, 115 pounds, and is 25 years old. Sedentary TDEE should be around 1550, so I'm assuming she's eating in a deficit at 1200 to lose weight.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started dieting. Probably because the foods I ate were an appetite killer (protein and fiber rich). Eventually my body became adjusted to it and I got my appetite back.
  • bogwoppt1
    Options
    I guess when you change everything you eat as opposed to just eating less of the food you regularly eat then this happens.

When I need to lose a few pounds I just reduce portions sizes, but eat the same foods.