Recipes that are high in iron

Options
trvlkat1212
trvlkat1212 Posts: 2 Member
Hey everyone I need help getting more iron in. If not I will need infusions 2-3x a week

Replies

• lisa_hat87
    lisa_hat87 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    All bran for breakfast, eggs, green veg, red meats etc drink orange juice so it absorbs better. I have anemia and have been on infusions, I know the feeling. Hope your iron levels increase for you x
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are at the point of infusions, short term, there is no food that will help. Long term plan, more red meat, liver, eggs, some green vegetables.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds and spinach are high in iron!
    A good baby spinach salad with toasted sunflower seeds on top
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, oysters, mussels, clams, cuttlefish....lots of iron....as much as beef.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Offal... Liver, hearts, kidneys etc... With vitamin c for better absorbency. My fave is liver (lambsfry), bacon, onions, gravy. I prefer hearts stuffed (with bread stuffing) and baked. Offal is the quickest way to top up iron levels.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds and spinach are high in iron!
    A good baby spinach salad with toasted sunflower seeds on top

This is non-heme iron and is poorly absorbed. Focus on animal sources at this point.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Offal... Liver, hearts, kidneys etc... With vitamin c for better absorbency. My fave is liver (lambsfry), bacon, onions, gravy. I prefer hearts stuffed (with bread stuffing) and baked. Offal is the quickest way to top up iron levels.

Just wanted to add that I saw a good tip for people who don't like the taste of lambsfry. Fortunately I do, so I wont be doing it as I think it looks disgusting.
    Anyway, whizz up lambsfry til it's really fine and put in ice cube trays and freeze. Then when cooking e.g mince (ground beef) add a cube or two and cook mince as per your normal.
  • Solarized
    Solarized Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LifeSource (blood donation place) told me to cut down on iced tea in addition to eating greens, liver, beef, etc. Apparently, there are tannins in tea that can block the absorption of iron. They also mentioned cooking in cast iron.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx be quiet.
    You can get iron from non-meat sources.
    She asked for recipes high in iron and that was my suggestion, if you don't like it don't use it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised the doctor didn't put you on iron supplements before offering the infusions.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx be quiet.
    You can get iron from non-meat sources.
    She asked for recipes high in iron and that was my suggestion, if you don't like it don't use it.

@Annajarmila, you are right, those sources are high in iron; but the iron in many plant-based sources have a very low rate of absorption. If OP is at the point where she's needing multiple iron infusions a week, haem sources of iron would be her quickest way to get them up through diet alone. Most oral tablets wouldn't help either at that point.

OP, as a person who's work is related to iron deficiency and anaemia, being told you need multiple infusions a week is odd, IMO. I'd check with your doc about different options that are a lot easier.

The post above about cutting down on tea is right as well. Products such as black tea, coffee, cinnamon, cocoa & red wine can actually inhibit iron absorption from food (source). The phenol products in them bind with iron and stop it from being absorbed, so you should avoid drinking them around mealtimes.