Whole 30

Options
ZRx4
ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
Anybody here try whole30?

I've done 2 rounds, with great results, combined with my workouts. It seems tho, that I am unable to lose, unless I go to that extreme and it's hard to be eating so clean with a husband and 4 kids.

Just curious if anybody else has tried it and if you can lose weight not eating that way. I'm usually at 1600-1800 cal intake a day. On occasion I'll hit 2000, if I eat pizza or something(once a week). Lately, beer has been a nightly thing, just one tho. I'm super active 15k to 22k steps a day (walking and T25), I'm 32y/o, 5'7" 158#. I'm gonna start a new round March 1. Curious to what your results and thoughts are!! TIA!

Replies

• meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you trying it again to lose more weight? I didn't lose any weight both times I did it, but I did feel slightly better. However, it's much more realistic and easier to go with an 80/20 approach. I focus on meat and veggies and eat fewer grains. Not because I think grains are bad, but because they tend to add calories that I'm happy without!

Good luck!
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Are you trying it again to lose more weight? I didn't lose any weight both times I did it, but I did feel slightly better. However, it's much more realistic and easier to go with an 80/20 approach. I focus on meat and veggies and eat fewer grains. Not because I think grains are bad, but because they tend to add calories that I'm happy without!

Good luck!

Yes, I have about 20 to lose. I lost consistently 1-2 lbs a week, doing it. I've gained about 7 back from the holidays and have been maintaining since. But losing while eating at a deficit is a joke for me, regardless of how active and busy I stay.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Also, my energy levels were through the roof! It was crazy. It must be how I am meant to eat and live, but a life without beer and goodies will be boring!!
  • alexesb
    alexesb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On day 6 of my first whole30!
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I completed my first whole30 back in December. And currently in the middle of a whole90. Weight loss aside this has been a life changer for me. After suffering daily headaches my whole life, they have completely stopped. I'm sleeping better than I ever have. All of my IBS symptoms have cleared up. I have also lost weight but that's not my main reason for doing it anymore it was also about my relationship with food. I've done a complete 180i It is definitely a drastic approach and not for everyone.
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    alexesb wrote: »

Awesome girl! You're over the hardest days
  • ZRx4
    Options
    alexesb wrote: »

Way to go! You're gonna love how you feel! The first 2 weeks, for me, were the hardest. After that it was a piece of cake.

I completed my first whole30 back in December. And currently in the middle of a whole90. Weight loss aside this has been a life changer for me. After suffering daily headaches my whole life, they have completely stopped. I'm sleeping better than I ever have. All of my IBS symptoms have cleared up. I have also lost weight but that's not my main reason for doing it anymore it was also about my relationship with food. I've done a complete 180i It is definitely a drastic approach and not for everyone.

That's amazing! I too, want to change my relationship with food. But I went on a major binge after round 2 ended in sept. It really wasn't until thanksgiving tho, I think I ate like 2 whole pies
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'm starting mine tomorrow - have a lot of allergies to food so my diet is close to this anyway, figured I'd have some fun and try it. :-)

I can't have grains or sugar cane without reacting, and I've noticed something with grains, and anything with sugar - if i have a little, I CANNOt stop eating them. Like, that 2 whole pie thing - that'd be me, absolutely. Turns out, there are some people whose bodies kind of react to wheat or sugar like its an opioid, and can literally be a little addicted to them. It can make it hard to lose when eating either of them, at that point, if it makes one eat more calories than needed.

Admittedly, it's much easier to stay motivated to avoid sugar and grains when they make you sicker the more you eat them, but I know a few folks who have found that they can't maintain their weight when eating grains and/or sugar. Couldn't say if it's the opioid thing, or something else - just anecdotal right now, you know?
  • ZRx4
    Options
    shaumom

Good luck! We eat pretty good, I buy hardly any processed foods, but my kids eat pancakes and pizza (all homemade) like it's going out of style. But you're so right about being unable to stop. Even if I have one bite of anything delicious, I go into this ravenous crazed person. Lol. I'd start sooner, but were going to Disneyland for my hubs and sons bday. So I'll start the 1st. I did gain a few during the holidays, and have maintained since Christmas. Losing tho, is a joke. I'm working out and it's like for nothing.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The nightly beer will definitely negatively impact you. You won't burn fat.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Whole30 is soooooooooo simple. Good quality fruits, veggies and protein. What else do you need? Pretty much all of my cooking is W30 and always paleo. Been doing this for couple of years now. Keep it simple and it will be easy. All it takes is some will power to say NO when you are out and about :)

You're right. But I have 4 kids and a husband who don't eat that way. Prepping salads and chicken and such takes additional time for me. I've done 2 rounds already, so it's just doing it.
  • fighterwithin
    fighterwithin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 12 hours into day 1 and super pumped. I feel like i am hella addicted to sugar so i figured this would be the prefect way to cut it out! I am hoping to just keep journaling and keep it up that way :smile:
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Crazyravr

No, we buy all organic, label read everything (if I see something I don't know or can't pronounce, we don't buy it) and cook from scratch every meal. But I have picky 7,5,4 and 1 year olds. They love salads, green smoothies, meats and such. They eat really well compared to most. But they will not eat roasted cauliflower "nachos" with me or spaghetti squash and such. They have tacos and I have lettuce tacos. Ya know? Do you have kids? I really don't think you'd understand if you don't. So basically I make 6 meals a day. On occasion, I can eat what they do, frittata for example.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    I am 12 hours into day 1 and super pumped. I feel like i am hella addicted to sugar so i figured this would be the prefect way to cut it out! I am hoping to just keep journaling and keep it up that way :smile:

Whooo! Me too! I've been doing better, with just staying away from it. I'm really excited to get started in March. It's nice to know that others are eating super clean too!! Good luck! Hope you have great results!
  • ladysam86
    ladysam86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of my first round and loving it. Feeling a bit deflated today, last night I was kicked out of a support group online because I was trying to stick up for myself and my actions. The admin didn't like it and now I feel like my support has gone. I'm not going to let it get to me though. It's my journey not theirs.
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    randeortiz wrote: »
    Crazyravr

No, we buy all organic, label read everything (if I see something I don't know or can't pronounce, we don't buy it) and cook from scratch every meal. But I have picky 7,5,4 and 1 year olds. They love salads, green smoothies, meats and such. They eat really well compared to most. But they will not eat roasted cauliflower "nachos" with me or spaghetti squash and such. They have tacos and I have lettuce tacos. Ya know? Do you have kids? I really don't think you'd understand if you don't. So basically I make 6 meals a day. On occasion, I can eat what they do, frittata for example.

Nope no kids. Lucky me :)
    But as I recall when I was a kid, not too long ago so I still remember, when my mom made dinner for the family and the kids (4 of us) did not like what she ate and did not want to eat it, we didnt. When we got hungry enough we usually came back and ate that same food VERY happily.
    From what I see thats happening around me, with friends and other family members having kids, parenting these days is not anything I would want to get into lol :)

this!