Estimating calories in bakery sweets?

Options
I'm trying guess how many calories are in these brownies (pics below), and I chose an entry on the mfp database called "Google USDA - Chocolate Brownie" that says that about 100 g of brownies is 484 calories. I don't often eat away from home, especially foods that are calorie dense, so my skills in this guessing stuff are weak. Does this sound like a reasonable calorie estimate to you? Should I choose something even higher? It wasn't the highest entry on the MFP database, but it wasn't the lowest either. I ate a solid 173 g worth of brownies (no regrets >:) ), but I would like as accurate a log as possible because I'm still figuring out my maintenance calories. Also, I figure that this is a perfect time to learn how to estimate calories in sweets since special events with bakery items will in fact be a part of my life in the future. If it helps to know any, they're from a catering team at my college.

70sn2wnzs1tw.jpg

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just find a random entry :(
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I find something similar I remember in size and density. So for a generic brownie I can't identify, I choose something like Aramark, which run a lot of college cafeterias, or a lot of generics are very very similar in Walmart, Costco, and other bakeries. You won't be under by more than 100 or so calories so if you don't do it that often, it will fine. When you look across entries, you find something that's around the middle and I pick that as generic.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just find a random entry :(

Okay. Thanks. ^^
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I find something similar I remember in size and density. So for a generic brownie I can't identify, I choose something like Aramark, which run a lot of college cafeterias, or a lot of generics are very very similar in Walmart, Costco, and other bakeries. You won't be under by more than 100 or so calories so if you don't do it that often, it will fine. When you look across entries, you find something that's around the middle and I pick that as generic.

I see. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! :)
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I too pick a generic entry. Usually go for one in the middle ranges.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Starbucks is probably a good reference for typical baked goods you'll find. Simply Googling "Starbucks Nutrition" will bring up their menu, then you can filter it further with "Bakery" to see just the baked goods.

National chain restaurants and fast food also always have their calorie counts available online, and usually can be found, again, by simply Googling "(restaurant name) calories".

I use restaurants/fast food for most of my guestimates and I'm usually always on track with my loss rate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    To elaborate, I typically compare what I ate with something that I've seen and know the calories of. For example, if I buy a chocolate croissant, I'll compare it in size to Starbucks or Au Bon Pain and log appropriately.

For brownies, I'm honestly not sure, but I stole a couple bites off my husband's last week and compared it in size to the mini brownie I had a week earlier, then logged 1.5 of that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I made brownies recently and as usual when I put a recipe into mfp it calculates the cals/macros accordingly (mine are around 150 cals for a small but dense slice/approx 75g). But if you're pushed for time choose a Starbucks/Costa entry and it wont be far away...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use entries from chain food places or a company for bakery goods. Had a croissant with brunch out and the restaurant has no nutrition info, so I used Tim Horton's plain croissant info. Valentine's bakery cake I logged as a Hostess chocolate cupcake.