980 calories a day

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've ended up with below 1200 due to Fitbit's negative adjustments but not as a base goal. (And I'd never eat that low even with the negative adjustment. )

This part has been changed though (at least last time I allowed negative adjustments). MFP wouldn't allow Fitbit to drop me below 1200, even though Fitbit was telling me I needed to eat just over 600 that day to meet my goal. I was sitting on the couch studying all day.

OP, I haven't read all the responses, but I saw in your last post that you are increasing to 1200. I'm glad to read that. I'm short and in my 40s and can lose on 1700/day if I work out regulary. There was a glitch that MFP was setting the goals too low. As far as I know it's been fixed for some time. Did you have this account a while back and not update since then?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Not pop; FOOD!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've ended up with below 1200 due to Fitbit's negative adjustments but not as a base goal. (And I'd never eat that low even with the negative adjustment. )

This part has been changed though (at least last time I allowed negative adjustments). MFP wouldn't allow Fitbit to drop me below 1200, even though Fitbit was telling me I needed to eat just over 600 that day to meet my goal. I was sitting on the couch studying all day.

OP, I haven't read all the responses, but I saw in your last post that you are increasing to 1200. I'm glad to read that. I'm short and in my 40s and can lose on 1700/day if I work out regulary. There was a glitch that MFP was setting the goals too low. As far as I know it's been fixed for some time. Did you have this account a while back and not update since then?

I don't know. I had it happen in late January sometime. I don't usually hit the complete button (don't see the point) plus I didn't follow the goal that day so I don't know if it would have completed or not.
  • mommy0502
    mommy0502 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Not pop; FOOD!

I don't drink pop,I drink water about 150 oz a day,I have a water cooler so it makes it easy. I eat dinner and I am now going to throw in snacks.
  • m27un
    m27un Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    mommy0502 wrote: »
    Hello all,my daily allowance is set at 980 calories a day. I have it set to lose 2 lbs a week and little exercise. I don't always lose 2 lbs per week,but usually keep my calories around that amount. I will say it is tough to keep the 980 calorie goal. From all that I have read,this is a very low calorie allowance. Myfitnesspal set it,I did not. Thoughts???

That's extemely low. You can get the same results with 1500, reduce carbs and fat. Up protein.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    I agree 980 is too low for anyone except extreme outliers - bedridden double amputees, perhaps.

However,now we have someone telling OP she will lose at 1500 - without, as far as I can see, assessing any of OP 's stats.

1500 may be too much.

I know my calories to lose were less than that - and that was at slow rate of 1/2 lb per week.

Of course OP may well have different stats to me too - but we can't really give her blanket figures as correct amounts
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use mfp on my iphone and iPad. Although the same account, my phone had me set to 980 whilst my iPad had me set to 1200! Something happened this week and now they both have a base of 1200. I eat between 2000 and 2500 by the way as I exercies daily and my tdee is between 3000 and 3500.
  • weholditdown
    weholditdown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All glitches aside, this is an awful way to lose weight. How long do you want to keep the weight you've lost off for? You are consuming about 600-900 calories worth of shakes. The minute you start eating decent amounts of real food, you are going to gain all that weight back.

If you want to change things and keep weight off long-term, you need a diet and lifestyle that are sustainable long-term. Here's a tip: calculate your BMR (there's a tool for that on here, but there's also plenty elsewhere online). That's your Basal Metabolic Rate and is the amount of calories you would need if you were basically doing nothing just for your body to function. I can guarantee you that number will be way higher than 980, but never eat below that number! You will probably need to eat more if you start to factor exercise into the equation as well. Don't just eat dinner and snacks. Eat regular, healthy meals!

There is no reason you need to be miserable and starving in order to lose weight and it's certainly not a long-term solution.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry may I ask what your stats are? Age, height, weight?

You say you've been eating under 1000 calories a day for up to 2 years? Have you been falling off this a lot? How much have you lost? How's your skin, nails, energy levels, hormones? Have you had a recent medical check up ..blood tests for deficincies would seem appropriate!

Your diet is concerning ...will you let us help you fix it?
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry may I ask what your stats are? Age, height, weight?

You say you've been eating under 1000 calories a day for up to 2 years? Have you been falling off this a lot? How much have you lost? How's your skin, nails, energy levels, hormones? Have you had a recent medical check up ..blood tests for deficincies would seem appropriate!

Your diet is concerning ...will you let us help you fix it?

+2! You always say it best!

OP..I'm 5'2....and am still losing weight eating 15-1700 calories almost every day! You are not eating enough even if you don't feel hungry, my friend. xo
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    If MFP set it is, it is a glitch. The site does not typically set to less than 1200 calories.

MFP also expects you to add exercise in but 980 is too low regardless.

@Alex?

MFP should definitely never be setting caloric goals that low. @mommy0502 please do contact support so we can assist you directly. If anyone else is having this issue please let us know.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/new
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    mommy0502 wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »
    Not pop; FOOD!

I don't drink pop,I drink water about 150 oz a day,I have a water cooler so it makes it easy. I eat dinner and I am now going to throw in snacks.

150 oz of water is wayyyyyyy too much
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You can set your goal as low as you want. I'll often do 1000. Though MFP still doesn't let me "Log" anything less than 1200 for the day, so I just don't "log" it. Not a problem.