Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• candiejayne
    candiejayne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    dorener wrote: »
    I live on spaghetti squash! I poke some fork holes in it, bake at 400 for 90 minutes. Slice open and scoop out. Then I eat with some spray butter, feta and garlic salt. Sometimes I'll put some cut up cooked chicken in too for some extra protein. Yummy!!!

I love feta! Thanks!
  • candiejayne
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    I like it roasted in the oven. Super easy to prepare. I sprinkle it with a salt-free garlic and herb blend.

Last night I made adorable little individual spaghetti squash lasagnas. To save time, I pricked my squash all over with a fork and cooked it in the microwave, which I rarely do anymore because it comes out so much better roasted in the oven.

It exploded! I've never had that happen before! You could see all of the fork marks where I'd stabbed it - we figured perhaps it had a thicker than normal skin or something.

After cleaning up the mess, I was able to save about two-thirds of it. The lasagna came out wonderfully. But I will be roasting all of my future spaghetti squashes in the oven!

My friend recently had that happen in the microwave. I'll stuck to the oven lol
  • candiejayne
    Options
    bq7o71si5bla.jpg

This looks amazing and I have everything to make it. Might just be dinner tonight!
  • candiejayne
    Options

Awesome! Another good review!
  • candiejayne
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baked-spaghetti-squash-carbonara-recipes-from-the-kitchn-200313

I made this Baked Spaghetti Squash Carbonara the other day and my husband and I both loved it! It didn't really taste like carbonara though. It was kind of like a quiche in texture due to the 4 eggs. Either way I will be making it again! For 8 (large) servings, my recipe came out to 240 calories per serving. Makes a great side dish, main dish, or breakfast :)

It's funny when things don't taste like they are supposed to, but good enough to keep around. :)
  • candiejayne
    Options
    srossomano wrote: »
    Check out the blog section. There was a recipe for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna.. I thought it was great.. .My family kept asking where the meat was *smh* I had to get them some left over chicken to eat with it.

But if you cut it in half, and place it flesh side down (I add a little water to the cookie sheet too), cook it for about 40 minutes. I let it cool slightly and then scrape it with a fork.

Actually, when I made the recipe, I cooked the squash early in the day, let it cool, scraped it, layered the lasagna and then baked it again... This way I didn't burn my hands. :wink:

That's good advice, cooking in advance so we don't burn ourselves!
  • candiejayne
    Options
    joymomrn4 wrote: »
    I did learn a trick about spaghetti squash in order to get the long "noodle" when scraping. Poke holes and bake whole as you normally would. Let cool ( or make ahead). Turn the squash on its side and slice 1-2 inch rings as you would with eggplant. Then remove the seeds with fork from each ring. Work the "noodles" out gently in circular fashion. They are all curled up in there! And they unravel nicely into long strands. Keep on squashing MFP's!

Good to know!
  • candiejayne
    Options
    I make "chicken parmesan". I bread a chicken breast with panko and parmesan cheese (plus whatever spices your little heart desires) and bake it. Put it on top of some spaghetti squash, add sauce, eat. It's good.

Sounds amazing!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    saving this thread....some of these sound really good
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I got and tried spagetti squash for the first time a few weeks ago. I made mine Chicken Alfredo. It was good but needed more sauce than a serving size to taste it. So next time I will stick with Spaghetti sauce. I also have a really good Asian inspired noodle recipe and I will use the squash next time.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like it peeled and cut into cubes and put into a soup. It's lovely with some chicken broth and other veggies, a little Marjoram garlic pepper and butter.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm making spaghetti squash chow me in this week. Looks so good
  • candiejayne
    Options
    I would love some Asian recipes. It's my favorite but I'm already sick of chicken and broccoli lol
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    here is an Asian style spaghetti squash I tried. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/asian-spaghetti-squash.html

Asian%2BSpaghetti%2BSquash2.jpg

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not fond of cooking, I'm kind of boring, so I stab it with a knife a few times, then microwave it. I scoop it in a dish, add marinara sauce and chunks of fresh mozzarella. I put that back in the microwave until the cheese is melted. I'm becoming really fond of spaghetti squash and make it once a week, I'm going to have to try roasting it one of these days.
  • zalmann919
    zalmann919 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bought my first one today. What are your favorite recipes for it?

I just finished making this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna that was on the MFP blog the other day. Used my own homemade Marinara.

...and it's wonderful, especially after reheating the next day.
  • candiejayne
    Options
    Thanks! I'm thinking about roasting it tonight for tomorrow night's dinner.
  • chrissyandjoe
    chrissyandjoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made it with clam sauce on Ash Wednesday and will definitely make it again
  • RebeccaSlabaughThitaram
    Options
    I think it taste kinda tart and Mediterranean flavors go well with it. I second the feta but would add olive (any color) lemon, grape tomatoes... i like it warm or as a cold salad.
  • candiejayne
    Options
    I did baked chicken, spaghetti sauce and the squash tonight. I was surprised that it was crunchy. It definitely doesn't replace pasta for me, but it was good and I'll buy it again.