Has anyone ever used an airfryer?

Options
I just saw an ad for one and have never heard of it before. It's supposed to give a deep fried taste with just a tablespoon of oil? (According to the ad anyway ). I haven't deep fried in years and the thought of all the grease and oil turns my stomach, so I'm curious about this. I'd prefer to hear from someone who's used it and liked it before deciding though.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Curious too, I didn't even know that existed until last week!
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't own one but my sister does. She used it to cook some cocktail spring rolls and to me they tasted really dried out. Yet when I cooked the same spring rolls under the grill/broiler (I think broiler is the correct word) it tasted fine, crisp but not greasy.

What are you interested in airfrying? I guess some food would have better results than others.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think the fried food that I miss the most is fried chicken. I'd be frustrated if this fryer dried it out -- I grew up with overcooked chicken and really don't want it that way anymore!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    We have an Actifry machine and I usually only use it to make french fries with fresh potatoes (cheaper and healthier than frozen ones) and 1-2 tablespoons of oil. They never come out really crispy but nicely cooked and fluffy inside with crunch on the outside (like Harveys fries here in Canada). My kids really love them and they are much lower calories than deep fried or even tossed in oil and baked. I haven't tried chicken yet, but I would imagine that skin on or off would make a big difference. Incidentally it is very easy to clean - all the parts go in the dishwasher.

edit to add that it took a couple of batches to find the optimum cooking time.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My friend likes hers. I almost bought one - until I read a bunch of reviews that said it was similar to baking/broiling. To cut oil, I simply use an oil spray for very similar results/calories - and saved myself the $100.
  • Tuala42
    Options
    Hmm, given my limited kitchen space maybe I'll save my money! It'd have to really work great to justify cluttering up my kitchen even more.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have one! I literally only use it to make chips (fries)...cut up a bunch of potatoes and add oil and spices. I never use a tablespoon of oil though - 1-2 teaspoons. I love them and find they are a great substitute. So, instead of ordering takeaway burgers and fries, we'll grill burgers and make air fryer chips. Less calories but still gives the taste I crave. But I love chips! So, it works for us :-)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I make vegetables, stuffed portobellos, crispy potatoes, pizzas....etc in mine. It's quick, easy, and leaves a small amount to clean
  • Tuala42
    Options
    Well maybe I'll keep an eye out for one on sale, I'm getting curious. I can't get out of the house for the one-day sale that I saw this morning as now my street is covered with snow! Snow plows seems to take the day off when it snows on the weekend around here.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Read the reviews on amazon.
    To me, it seems like it's just a smaller oven. Doesn't walmart sell small countertop ovens?
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bought 2 weeks ago. It's fantastic and I'm in love with it. So far fries, chips, sweet potatoes fries, fried courgettes, stuffed aubergine, all really good - I use also spray oil.
    The best was wagamama banana katsu, it was exactly as good as the original.
    Tomorrow already planned to try with mixed fried seafood
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    We just got one 2 weeks ago and LOVE it. It works alot like a NuWave Oven, but nevertheless, you can find the best ones on Amazon or QVC. We got the NuWave Brio from Kohls.com and with a 15% coupoin, scored it for $90. Used it 2 weeks and found we needed a larger one, so we went with the Philips Avance 9240. The Philips AirFryers are the standard and a bit on the pricey side, but they have accessories and look to be the most well made on the market.

We've grilled steaks, steamed veggies, air-fried chicken fried steak....and we don't have one ounce of regret with the purchase. My CFS recipe takes a 1400 calorie food and knocks it down to 450....and it's as crispy and tasty.

I'd say go for it. If it's not a good fit, you can always return it....but I bet you won't. :)

-Glenn
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I loved mine and used it a lot, but I didn't bring it with me to my current apartment because I don't have space for it.

For me, the convenience of not having to watch and stir was an even bigger deal than the low fat aspect.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My mum has one and I hadnt realised - I was complimenting the chips and I just about lost my puny mind when she said it was an airfryer and only 1 tbsp oil!

I'm a fan as oily food gives me a sore belly. Solves that problem. Also, doesnt make your whole house stink of fried food.

When I move out my studio flat, it's on my list of things to buy!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I make vegetables, stuffed portobellos, crispy potatoes, pizzas....etc in mine. It's quick, easy, and leaves a small amount to clean

Interesting. I have one that I've never used (I forgot about it until I saw this thread, to be honest). How do you make stuffed portobellos in there? Pizza???
  • beachkriscat
    beachkriscat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine. It's great for chicken breast, veggies, potatoes, all kinds of stuff. It's great for when my son gets home and wants some chicken nuggets or a pizza for a snack. I don't have to worry about him leaving the oven on. It shuts off automatically. I tried fries in it, but didn't care for them too much. But, tater tots are good in it if you shake them half way through cooking. It is great for fish sticks too. It was worth the money for my household. Buy one from walmart and try it. Keep your receipt. If you don't like it, take it back. I think they give you 90 days, but check your local one to be sure.