Completely Discouraged /cry

Options
124»

Replies

• morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    CollieFit---- I never knew that holding on to a treadmill while walking, can reduce calorie burn by 25%. Thanks, new thing I learned. I do hold on.
  • mimiofmaddox
    mimiofmaddox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, I began under Weight Watchers, just last February. At the beginning, I was like you. My first initial week was great, but the next few weeks actually made me want to quit. But I didn't!!! I contacted an advisor through WW and they showed me my body was actually going into starvation mode and storing everything I ate as fat. So what did I do? I made sure I ate all my 'points' and eat my exercise 'points'. What happened? The weight started coming off. I started out, like you, on the treadmill and an exercise bike. I bought me a Fitbit Charge HR which helps adjusts my MFP calories.

Now walking on a treadmill doesn't burn a lot of calories. You really need to include some type of anaerobic activity in your routine. Try doing an interval routine on your treadmill. Walk a few minutes, run a minute and so forth at different inclines. You'll find that doing this you'll be able to more than you thought you could, sooner than you thought. It will get and keep your heart rate higher and burn more calories. I do an aerobics/combat class, along with a weight class 4 days a week at my local YMCA. That works for me and I've maintained now for 9 months.

Good luck on your journey. Don't give up and stay strong! It will happen!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everyone's hit all the basics, so I'll just add on. Be patient and consistent and you'll do fine. Good luck.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Day_knee wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I feel a bit less frustrated. after my post I hoped on my treadmill and walked 1.7 miles in 33 minutes at 3.2 mph. I suppose in 4/5 weeks its actually a 1pound loss a week and that is good. I guess I just felt discouraged because that first 4 pounds lost was in the first week. I am committed to being healthier and I know it's going to take me a long time to lose weight. I am sorry to have complained.

It's hard to know what to expect when it's all new and there's so much conflicting information around! (And especially all those outrageous claims on magazines. :wink: ) I'm glad you're feeling a little better about things!

If it's any consolation, I've been at this five weeks now. I lost 6lbs in my first 4 days, which completely astonished me and was no doubt water weight. Lost a couple more over the next couple of weeks, and now I've been going back and forth about 2lbs for the last 2-3 weeks. (I weigh myself daily now, so that I can see and get used to the fluctuations - if you choose to do this, be aware that it can change a lot from day to day, and don't panic when you see it!) I managed to catch it on the downturn last time I logged! :wink:

So, what that means is that over the past four weeks I've only lost 2.5lbs, which seems a bit depressing. But look at it another way - overall, I've lost 8.5lbs in five weeks, which is awesome! It's all in how you look at it. Choose the right words, and everything is so much better. :smiley:

You seem to be getting your head in the right place now that you've read these responses, and are realising it's going to be a long haul. You can do it! Just try to accept that your weight will go up and down, it will stall for a while, the scales won't cooperate... all these things are apparently normal! If you feel like nothing's happening, try taking your measurements regularly, checking how your clothes fit, etc. There are lots of ways to track progress besides the number on the scale.

Good luck, and keep your chin up! You've got this! :smile:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Day_knee wrote: »
    Each day I have increased my walking so now at this current moment I walk at a pace of 3.2 mph and am able to do 1.7 miles in 33 minutes.

You may benefit by focusing on fitness goals more than on your actual weight. I found as I pushed myself physically to become stronger, the weight started taking care of itself; and more importantly my fitness was exciting me far more than the number on the scale. I'm not saying that its not exciting to drop another 5 lbs (it is!) but that focusing on challenging myself physically and looking at how much stronger I get has really helped keep my head in a good place even when the weight loss looks persnickety.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everyone's hit all the basics, so I'll just add on. Be patient and consistent and you'll do fine. Good luck.

Just an add on---Take your measurements weekly or monthly and keep a log. When the scale isn't moving and you're feeling down you can pull it out and see how much you've lost in inches. Progress is progress.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Something I learned early on that helped me was this: time is going to pass no matter what. Those 4 weeks, and another 50 are going to pass. At the end of it, you can be 50lbs lighter, or go the other way.

I started about where you were. I was 240 lbs at my heaviest. I never had that big initial gush. I never lost more than 1.5 lbs in a single week, let alone 3 or 4 or 6. In a little over a year, I dropped 65 lbs. Even better, I've maintained it for six months now, and am onto my next goal of dropping another 10-20.

I'll echo what another poster has said: as you start to move along, you will find new goals that aren't about the scale. I no longer run to lose weight. I lose weight so I can run easier, better, and faster. It is thrilling and certainly makes the journey more bearable.