Low carb oatmeal?

Options
I really love oatmeal. I have a bowl at least once a day. I sometimes add egg whites for protein. Is there a decent oatmeal substitute that doesn't have so many carbs?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You could cut the oatmeal serving size in half and then make zoats. Or use almond meal, coconut flour, and flaxseed
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I was just looking into this the other day and didn't come up with anything. The lowest carb oatmeal I could find is Quaker Instant Lower Sugar, it has 20 carbs per serving.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Go for steel cuts or old fashioned instead of instant. I don't think it has less carbs, but the glycemyc index is lower.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What about barley? I don't know about carbs, but I think it is higher in both protein and fiber than oatmeal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "low carb oatmeal", "decent", and "oatmeal substitute". You dont't have to eat oatmeal if you don't want to, you can eat anything, but oats = grains = carbs. And what's wrong with carbs?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not really. Oats = grains = carbs. But what's wrong with carbs?

If you want low carb breakfast eat scrambled eggs.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Nothing at all wrong with carbs in moderation. I sometimes eat oatmeal several times a day. This causes my carbs to be a bit out of balance. Why do I eat so much oatmeal? It's good, it's filling, and it's quick.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    jswigart wrote: »

Nothing at all wrong with carbs in moderation. I sometimes eat oatmeal several times a day. This causes my carbs to be a bit out of balance. Why do I eat so much oatmeal? It's good, it's filling, and it's quick.

Sounds like oatmeal is right for you then. You could cut back to once per day?
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Cut your oatmeal back by one half, and add an egg. Or just eat oatmeal and don't worry about it... Or look at a half half split between oatmeal and Quinoa or Amaranth, which both have protein. But no one ever died from eating too much oatmeal, and its actually linked to decreasing your risk of heart disease, so oat away.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cut your oatmeal back by one half, and add an egg. Or just eat oatmeal and don't worry about it... Or look at a half half split between oatmeal and Quinoa or Amaranth, which both have protein. But no one ever died from eating too much oatmeal, and its actually linked to decreasing your risk of heart disease, so oat away.