Apple cider vinegar, really beneficial?

Options
What do you think about the claims of apple cider vinegar's benefits? Is it real or is it hype?
What are your experiences?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Which benefits?

It's tasty, makes a nice acidic addition to recipes/dressings, etc. Anything beyond that is woo.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It has been helpful in reducing BP, but after I lost a lot of weight - it was no longer necessary. ACV has helped with removing excess sodium. It has helped keep mosquitos from biting me. Hmm. Might be worth my using it again. I feel bloated and it is mosquito season again in CA.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    It has been helpful in reducing BP, but after I lost a lot of weight - it was no longer necessary. ACV has helped with removing excess sodium. It has helped keep mosquitos from biting me. Hmm. Might be worth my using it again. I feel bloated and it is mosquito season again in CA.

No mosquitoes here in central Kentucky. It is 24 degrees and snowing today. Buuuurrrrrrrrr!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use it as a toner for my face. But that's it. It does not aid in weight loss like pinterest says.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear more about using acv for a bug repellant! My son has a reaction to bug sprays and the all natural ones in the drug stores don't work.

And op - acv doesn't do anything for weight loss. Don't believe the hype.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It could be just the placebo effect in action, but I've slugged a shot or 2 of ACV after a workout to prevent DOMS, and that seems to work. It can also help heal Athlete's Foot, applied externally.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    jswigart wrote: »
    What do you think about the claims of apple cider vinegar's benefits? Is it real or is it hype?
    What are your experiences?

Repeat after me, there are no magical potions.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while and ended up with a damaged throat.
    I was drinking a tbsp and chasing it with water.
    Did nothing, absolutely nothing but me.
    I switched to drinking a glass of plain water 30 minutes before dinner.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.ca/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

Given the scientific implausability behind most of vinegar’s claims, not surprisingly, there is no scientific evidence that it has any medicinal properties. The FDA has even issued warning letters to nutraceutical companies selling apple cider vinegar products for making unsupportable claims that it reduces cholesterol levels or hardening of the arteries; lowers risks for heart disease, heart attacks or strokes; or is effective for conditions ranging from obesity to arthritis. Even the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), a division of the National Institutes of Health specifically tasked to investigate natural or unconventional modalities, has found no studies to support vinegar.

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, concludes there is no evidence of any benefit of vinegar for:

Acne, amino acid source, anti-aging, antiseptic for gastrointestinal tract, appetite suppression, arthritis, asthma, bladder cleanser, bowel stone prevention in horses, circulation improvement, colitis, dandruff prevention, decongestant, dental conditions, detoxification, diarrhea, digestion aid, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, flavoring agent, food poisoning, hair loss, hair rinse, hay fever, headache, hearing impairment, heartburn, hemorrhage, hiccoughs, high blood pressure, household sanitizer, high cholesterol, immune enhancement, infections, insect bites, insomnia, itchy scalp, kidney cleanser, leg cramps, menstruation regulation, mental alertness, mineral source, nail problems, nervousness, nose bleeds, obesity, osteoporosis, queasy stomach, scurvy prevention, shingles, sinus congestion, skin toner, sore eyes, sore throat, strength enhancement, stuffy nose, sunburn, tired eyes, vaginitis, varicose veins, viral hepatitis, vitamin source, or weight loss.

While apple cider vinegar is relatively harmless for most people as normally consumed, believing it can cure, prevent or treat health problems also puts people at risk who are deterred from seeking needed medical care for serious health issues. M.D. Anderson, according to Natural Standard Monograph (2007), also warns that theoretically, long-term use could diminish bone mineral density and interact with and increase the risk of toxicity of cardiac glycoside prescriptions, such as digoxin; and potentiate the potassium-lowering effects of insulin, laxatives and diuretics, such as Lasix.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/apple-cider-for-weight-loss/

Apple Cider Vinegar – Made from fermented crushed apples, it contains some vitamins, pectin and possibly a few minerals. Apparently apple cider vinegar is used for weight loss, leg pain, high blood pressure, arthritis, “detoxifying”, high cholesterol and arthritis. There is zero evidence to support its use for any medicinal purpose. A few adverse effects have been reported, including throat irritation and prolonged swallowing difficulties after a tablet became lodged in someone’s throat. Apple cider vinegar may lower potassium levels in the body, so there is the theoretical risk of problems if taken with drugs like digoxin, or diuretic drugs like furosemide and hydrochlorothiazide.

NMCD also notes that laboratory analysis of apple cider vinegar tablets reveals that the amount of acetic acid can vary dramatically by brand, and were not consistent with the labelled claim. As there is no regulatory standard for these products, it is impossible to determine if any product actually contains apple cider vinegar