Stronglifts 5x5 at home help (woman)?

Options
cincymomof3
cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
If I wanted to buy the equipment to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program at home, how much space would I need and what equipment would I buy?

I would like to buy new. I'm a single mom, so buying used off of craigslist is more challenging and complicated b/c of not having help to pick up the items, not having the time to drive allover town, etc. Cost is still a factor though. I'd like to spend the least amount possible, of course.

Also I would like the equipment to carry me beyond the stronglifts program, so if buying squat stands vs a power rack won't carry me long term, then I'd prefer the power rack, does that make sense? I just don't want to buy anything now, that I will have to replace in a year when I change programs. ;)

Lastly, my background is that I've always lifted at the gym vs doing cardio. Now my life is just too busy to go to the gym and honestly I have never liked going and having to lift with the boys. I would prefer to do it in the comfort of my own home and on my own time. Especially considering the most free time I have is at night when my kids are in bed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I forgot to mention... I have an area in my storage room that I would like to set this up in. Is it too small? The dimensions are 7' tall, 7' wide and 6.5' deep. It is a concrete floor with an area rug. If this area is big enough, would I need something additional on the concrete floor? I do have a space in my bedroom that is 1 ft larger and a lot deeper with an 8' ceiling, but I would prefer it out of sight, if possible.

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This might help you http://stronglifts.com/home-gym-equipment-buyer-guide/

It will at least give you an idea of what you need or don't need.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I have a tiny home exercise room-8x9' with not especially tall ceilings. I bought a power cageI woke up at 3:34, 5:30 & finally 7 today , got kid of to school, worked out, ate, vacuumed the house, bench, oly bar & weights. I chose the cage vs. rack because it was more vertical than deep. I did SL at first and now I've moved on to PHUL, an intermediate split routine. I did need to buy DBs, EZ bar, fractional weights to do all of the accessory work. I already had a yoga mat, foam roller & some Kettlebells. I have no problem doing a more involved program with what I have. I still have room to do cardio workouts in front of my power cage. I did buy my cage, bench & weights from Craigslist & picked it up myself. But that's me & I wouldn't recommend it for safety reasons unless you can get help.
  • cincymomof3
    Options
    Thank you! I looked at that link, but I'm confused. It says I need my length plus 3'. I am 5'4", so that would be 8'4" right? My ceiling is only 8'. So do I not have enough height to set this up at home? Plus it says I need 108 sq ft. I have an 8' wide area between my bed and dresser. All of the space in front of it is empty. It seems like I would have plenty of room, but it is under 108 sq ft, which seems like a lot??

• cincymomof3
    Options
    sumiblue - Your example of your day is exactly why I would like to set this up in my home. With kids, your day can easily become a huge unexpected mess :) and having it right in my house would make it more likely that I would do it. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, is the cage the one that is more like a U vs a box? The less space the set up takes, the better.

This is a cage right?
    http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-Deluxe-Power-Cage/dp/B00I04Z52G/ref=sr_1_4?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1455472229&sr=1-4&keywords=power+cage

Vs this is a rack right?
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Squat-Deadlift-Bench-Racks/dp/B004UMM4QC/ref=sr_1_3?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1455472292&sr=1-3&keywords=power+cage
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I looked at that link, but I'm confused. It says I need my length plus 3'. I am 5'4", so that would be 8'4" right? My ceiling is only 8'. So do I not have enough height to set this up at home? Plus it says I need 108 sq ft. I have an 8' wide area between my bed and dresser. All of the space in front of it is empty. It seems like I would have plenty of room, but it is under 108 sq ft, which seems like a lot??

I don't have any experience with the actual equipment, I've just been doing my own research as eventually I want my own gym too.

But the site says the following:

"Width x Depth. 108 square feet (10m²). Space for your Power Rack and to Deadlift outside of it. If you don’t have this space: at least 6’/3m to give your bar clearance, Deadlift inside your rack.
    Height. High enough so your Power Rack fits. Your length + 3 feet (1m) so you can Overhead Press without the barbell hitting the ceiling. If you don’t have this space: press outside or seated."

This is the link for a seated press http://stronglifts.com/overhead-press/#Seated_Press

Based off the bolded statements, I think you can make it work with what room you have. It just might take some maneuvering.

Read more: http://stronglifts.com/home-gym-equipment-buyer-guide/
    ^automatically puts the link since I copied and pasted from the site
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Your second link is what I have. They call it a power rack cage, I call it a power cage. I deadlift inside my cage, just remove the safeties. I pull my bench into the cage and use safeties to bench. Take bench out and use the safeties for squats. Very versatile.