Maintaing weight...a big failure for me!

Options
2»

Replies

• srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Mentally I just had to accept this is for the rest of my life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You became less active overall and continued to take in the same amount of energy as you were with more activity...if you expend less, you consume less...so you either find other ways to increase expenditure or you decrease you consumption or a combination of both.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Beware the sedentary job. That's how I got into this mess I'm in. haha But seriously, move as much as you can and just stop and think about every meal. Try not to keep bad food around. Good luck! (Age 36)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    fat doesnt make you fat, no matter the source. eating more than your body burns causes weight gain,doesnt matter if its carbs,fat or protein.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agreed with all the comments about doing the same thing you did to lose the weight. If good eating habits are second nature go solo but it not use tools to take action when stray too far.

Also the macros on this site are based on sound traditional nutrition. Let face it the average person on this site has no medical reason to deviate. When I was younger I could play "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" game. Payback is a bit&ch, I can on can play that game only so long before shorting nutrients shows up in how I look and feel.

If I could go back to my 20 or 30 something self, I would I say you STOP kidding, yourself to justify how you want to eat...or you will be be that little old women with brittle bones who is anemic. I got smart and took correct action before I became my mom.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    kimyrachel wrote: »
    I don't think you should blame the high carb for your weight gain.. I get almost 90% of my daily calories from carb, I do not restrict calories and I managed to lose weight and stay at this weight. Perhaps you are getting too much fat than you think you actually do especially from meat and diary products. Hope this helped and feel free to add me:)

You are right that it is not carbs, but wrong that is might be too much fat. It is too many calories. That is what puts on fat. Not some individual macro nutrient, but too much overall energy (that is what calories measure) being consumed. The extra, whether from carbs, protein, or fat will go into storage, that is, into body fat. Maintain a calorie deficit, and a person will lose weight, yes, even eating meat and dairy.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Keep logging and stay on track

Maintaining is the same as losing, as hard and as easy some days.
    :)

You can do this, and lesson learned. Dont stop tracking what you eat and be as active as possible

95069916.png
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50+ lbs. I've changed goals a couple of times and have lost while on maintenance. I'm even lower than I originally thought I would get. I continue to log and count calories. Have made up my mind that this is a lifetime thing for me if I don't want to gain back and I am determined to not be in the 80% that do gain back. I've boxed up all my larger clothes and don't plan on getting back into them. In my mind, this wasn't just about the weight but also about the health which is my motivator to try and never backslide again!! A saying I remember from my old weight watchers days....'NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!'
  • lohlgren
    lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    cortesd wrote: »
    Don't feel alone. The statistics say that over 80% of the people that lose weight, gain it back within 5 years. Very few people keep it off longer. Food tastes good and it is hard to maintain weight loss.

Ouch.

Yea. Not sure If knowing this statistic makes it harder for me or easier to not stray. I know I've bested statistics before, though. So - I'm just determined to be one of the 20%.

Ignore all those statistics! Just continue doing what works. (11 years on maintenance. Not always easy, but SO much better than being obese!)