Losing one pound a month...no matter what

Options
I am 5'6, and weigh 166. I've lost 112 over the past 2 years usingbMFP. For about a year, I have only lost about 1 pound a month. I worked with a nutritionist and she set my calories at 1700-I have an active job, and work out (run, instantly, lift, yoga, swim, bike) 6 days a week. I try for about 1500-1700 calories a day and don't eat back exercise calories. I have gone down to 1400 at times, but had headaches and slept poorly. Plus, there was no change in weight.

I hired a trainer about 6 months ago. She has been measuring me, and I am still losing inches. Slowly. She is recommending a low-carb/high protein diet, and to stop counting calories.

I would like another 6-10 pounds off. I'm 42 and this is the healthiest I have ever been. I started at a size 26 and now I am a 10/12.

Go low carb? Just start living and testing out my new healthy knowledge?

The mental part of losing weight, for me, has been much harder than the physical!

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think a pound a month is better than nothing. Personally, when I stop counting calories, I regain. There is no magic to low carb eating that's going to make you lose weight if your calories aren't right. If you want to eat low carb, I would still count calories to make certain you are within your range. It could be that eating higher protein & fat & less carbs would make you feel more satisfied at 1400 & that will help you break through. It wouldn't hurt to try.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you are losing one pound a month and you want 6-10 more pounds off, won't doing what you are doing now and waiting 6-10 months (or a bit longer) put you at your goal?

Why change what's been working for you?
  • tmcpeake4
    tmcpeake4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I should probably add that part of my frustration is that I've been stalled for about 3 months. Holding steady at 166, with changing work outs and calorie goals. High protein is what my trainer thinks might restart things. My doctor thinks that this is it for me, and that I should be content where I am.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating 1700... switch to 1600.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    tlqd6ni67zz6.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I would try eating back half your exercise calories too. if you are that active you are most likely netting really low calories.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I would try eating back half your exercise calories too. if you are that active you are most likely netting really low calories.

No...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    what do you mean no? with MFP you are supposed to eat back at least half your exercise calories. if she is really that active then she is probably netting less than 1200 calories a day,she stated she has an active job and works out 6 days a week. I know for many people once they started eating back some of their calories they started losing again, especially the really active one.she also stated she tries to have between 1500-1700 calories,so if she eats 1500 and is active with work and exercise its possible she can be netting under 1200. I mean yeah it could be she is eating more than she thinks, or something else.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    tmcpeake4 wrote: »
    I should probably add that part of my frustration is that I've been stalled for about 3 months. Holding steady at 166, with changing work outs and calorie goals. High protein is what my trainer thinks might restart things. My doctor thinks that this is it for me, and that I should be content where I am.

I need to go to your doctor. A couple years ago when I went in for my annual physical I weighed 170. I'm 5'6" as well and my doctor told me I was obese. When I explained to her that I had lost 20 pounds, her attitude changed and she told me to keep up the good work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to lose pounds and inches at different times & different rates.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I mean yeah it could be she is eating more than she thinks, or something else.

i would bank on it
  • Francl27
    Options
    what do you mean no? with MFP you are supposed to eat back at least half your exercise calories. if she is really that active then she is probably netting less than 1200 calories a day,she stated she has an active job and works out 6 days a week. I know for many people once they started eating back some of their calories they started losing again, especially the really active one.she also stated she tries to have between 1500-1700 calories,so if she eats 1500 and is active with work and exercise its possible she can be netting under 1200. I mean yeah it could be she is eating more than she thinks, or something else.

I mean that if she's not losing at 1700, she won't lose by eating more. Because science.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    If your doctor says you're good, you should probably listen to them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I mean that if she's not losing at 1700, she won't lose by eating more. Because science.

ok she said she wasnt losing on 1400 or 1500 either and had headaches and slept poorly. yes,you should lose the less you eat. but that is not always the case. if you dont eat enough your metabolism can slow down, I would think that it would be the same if you are causing a large deficit through exercise,but then again the op doesnt state what her job is or what days she does what exercise and for how long. so that is another thing that would be helpful
  • tmcpeake4
    Options
    I am a middle school band director and exercise an hour a day, using a chest strap heart rate monitor. I don't eat my exercise calories back, so I don't worry too much about what that number is. I weigh and measure my food. Drink only water and tea. My goals are to lose .5-1 pound a week, and my activity level is 'lightly active'. Recommended calories are 1750. I do about 1600-1700.

I'm sure everyone *says* that they don't overestimate calories in, but I have lost 112 pounds, so I must be doing (or did) something right along the way :) right???
  • tmcpeake4
    edited February 2016
    Options

My doctor believes that your body is comfortable at the weight you had in college age years. I am about 50 pounds lower than that. She knows it is *possible* to lose more, but maybe not healthly, practical or sustainable. She had an eating disorder, so is sensitive to taking things too far.

I get that, but I have this goal, and have come so far and I am so close!

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone *says* that they don't overestimate calories in, but I have lost 112 pounds, so I must be doing (or did) something right along the way :) right???

I agree with you, fwiw. You've been doing it right. I have lost 168ish lbs with MFP over a few years so I get where you're coming from with that. I'm also about your height and weight and age.

I'm a little confused though as to whether you're saying you're frustrated that you're not losing faster (i.e., 1 lb a month is definitely happening but you want it to be 2 lbs a month), or that you are not losing weight at all (you are "stalled"). Not the same thing at all.

My guess is that you mean are used to losing weight faster, and you want to keep doing so. My advice is to get used to a slower rate of loss and chalk the next few months up to learning to ease into maintenance. No matter what anyone says about a "lifestyle change" when you're losing weight you will likely find that maintenance is a different game. And in my experience, it took some time to make the mental adjustment -- and commitment -- to it. The truth is that, for me, as a formerly obese person who REALLY FREAKIN' LOVES FOOD maintenance will always be something of an effort and something I'm going to have to work at it. With all the habit changes I built up over my years working on weight loss, that effort is not so huge as the effort to lose was, but it's a big mental adjustment.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I am a middle school band director and exercise an hour a day, using a chest strap heart rate monitor. I don't eat my exercise calories back, so I don't worry too much about what that number is. I weigh and measure my food. Drink only water and tea. My goals are to lose .5-1 pound a week, and my activity level is 'lightly active'. Recommended calories are 1750. I do about 1600-1700.

have you reset your calories?

as you get smaller, the amount of calories your body needs decreases.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I personally would try something new. You've been counting calories for so long. It's good to learn new tools. Changing things up can help, for whatever reasons-- physical or mental. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    What works to lose 112 lbs doesn't always work for losing that last 10 or 20 no matter what your weight.

You are closer to your maintenance calories so a couple of olives here, a taste of what you are cooking there all add up over a week or month.
    I know you weigh and measure, but really it does come down to adding the 2 olives, weighing the slice of bread from the middle of the loaf, because it is bigger than the end one and the label is a batch average.

Unless your doctor has missed a medical condition, it is down to your logging.

I can't see how lowering your carbs would help except for the drop in water weight will give you a lower scale weight. If you are willing to adopt it as a life style fine, but just to see the scale move, I can't see the advantage, medical conditions aside.

Not logging at this point doesn't make sense to me, especially as weight loss is slower than expected, unless you are happy with body measurements.

And yes, re run your stats at the weight you are now. MFP doesn't automatically adjust your calorie goal as you lose weight. Good catch @callsitlikeiseeit

Cheers, h.