How to lose the weight

Options

Replies

• JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    If you have a large meal you may gain some temporary weight from water retention. This is not fat and you shouldn't let it bother you. Fluctuations in weight are totally normal, especially after a large meal.

That said, a 1000 calorie burn from the elliptical is a very large burn - it would take me almost 2 hours to get that. Where did you get that estimate?
    I thought the same thing... 1000 calories burned from the elliptical?
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Must have been a long time on the elliptical. But if you weigh yourself you are going to see an increase in the number on the scale between today and tomorrow, if you worked out harder than normal there's probably going to be more water retention than normal. If it bothers you that much, don't get on the scale for a couple of days.
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Ok so I can lose 2lbs a week if I do things perfectly, but I can fluctuate 10lbs or more a day just because of water or food and waste in my body..
    So after 4 weeks of perfect dieting, I might have burned 8lbs of fat but still weigh more than when I first started..
    Point is, disregard the scale and just eat at a moderate deficit for at least a month before you consider weight an kind of indicator.
    janjunie wrote: »
    It would take me 4 hours on the elliptical to burn almost 1000 calories. I think you are way over estimating your calorie burn unless you are very overweight or really spent 4 hours on the elliptical.
    jaga13 wrote: »
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    Hey everyone I had a question in regards to calories and ounces. I burned 1000 calories today to enjoy a nice valentines dinner. With the 1000 calories I burned at the gym on the elliptical I will still be under my calorie deficit for today. But I found out that one ounce is 218 calories? I work out and stay under my calories but I'm curious how do I lose the weight. For instance I had my breakfast, lunch and dinner already and now have my dessert added in my diary already which is a parfai that I will be having later. I feel so and look so big right bow, so bloated and big in my shirt. It makes me feel uncomfortable and insecure. I don't wanna see that I gained 3-5lbs tonight if I was under my calories and I went to the gym. It's not fair to feel like this when I'm under. Sorry if this sounds silly but just don't want to mess up even if I'm under, I still feel big.

I'm confused about the ounce question and what it has anything to do with anything. But yes, your math is correct: you have to have a deficit of 3500
    Calories to lose one pound. One pound equals 16 ounces. So I supposed yes you need a deficit of about 218 calories (3500/16) to lose one ounce. But why do you care about one ounce?

Thank you all but I still have a question for you all..

The way I came up with 1000 cal was from the elliptical. I was on it for around 67 minutes and it's at I burned 1000 cal. I'm hoping this is correct from the machine, but maybe it's not.

My question is, let's say my calorie deficient is 2000 cal a day. Let's just say I ate 1500 cal today. I know ounces way more than calories. You need to burn 218 calories to burn off 1 ounce. Some people in the past have told me, people are like cars we burn off our fat like cars burn off gas. I know some food way a lot more than others. So I guess the way we lose weight is by, burning it up? Pooping and peeing? Sorry if this sounds alittle gross. Like I said I'm working hard and I am seeing the results, and I am in no way trying to rush this at all. I've been on this weight lose journey for almost 6 months now. I know it's not to long of time but I've managed to stay in my deficit these last few months and slowly but surely I'm seeing results. It's due to me eating right and the help I get right here on this site!

I just am a little confused, for instance a banana according to this site is 110 calories. They usually weigh around 6-8 ounces, the ones I weigh and eat"I always weigh my foods, it has helped me so much more"!.
    I'm just using bananas as an example for this equation.

If I eat 10 7 ounce bananas at 110 calories each = 1100 calories and 70ounces. 70 ounces = 4 1/3rd pounds.
    This is the problem I want to understand.
    So I ate 1100 calories "pretend" and am under my deficit but packed on 4 1/3rd pounds and I'd still have 900 calories to consume for my2000 calorie deficit. This is were I get upset or feel fat.
    I know I'm still losing as I've lost over 40lbs since August so far again thanks to the advice here!
    We're does that 4 1/3 go and how long does it stay in you, is this 4 1/3 pounds mostly water? Can you sweat it off in the sauna lol sorry just curios. Thanks again everyone for no judgment and all your support!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    An ounce of fat has more calories than an ounce of protein or an ounce of carbohydrates.

Fat grams = 9 calories
    Protein grams = 4 calories
    Carbohydrate grams = 4 calories
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I just am a little confused, for instance a banana according to this site is 110 calories. They usually weigh around 6-8 ounces, the ones I weigh and eat"I always weigh my foods, it has helped me so much more"!.

If I eat 10 7 ounce bananas at 110 calories each = 1100 calories and 70ounces. 70 ounces = 4 1/3rd pounds.

The weight of the food does not determine the caloric value of the food.

For example, 8 ounces of water has no calories. 8 ounces of butter has far more calories than 8 ounces of broccoli.

Losing a pound of fat requires a caloric deficit of 3,500 calories. That does not mean that consuming a pound of food equates to consuming 3,500 calories.

• JayZ1488
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    An ounce of fat has more calories than an ounce of protein or an ounce of carbohydrates.

Fat grams = 9 calories

I already know that that's not my question lol
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

For example, 8 ounces of water has no calories. 8 ounces of butter has far more calories than 8 ounces of broccoli.

Losing a pound of fat requires a caloric deficit of 3,500 calories. That does not mean that consuming a pound of food equates to consuming 3,500 calories.

I like the way you put that. I understand better now. But I guess I still feel big or bloated even if it's ounces from broccoli compared to ounces of butter. I'm guessing the broccoli ounces break down faster, making you use the bathroom quicker? Some weeks I feel like I barley use the bathroom for number 2.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ah, re-read you post.

Transit time (time for food to pass through the body) is variable by person and types of food. No, eating 4+ pounds of bananas doesn't cause you to gain 4 pounds. Your body extracts the energy that it can and the rest passes through.

Not sure what is confusing about that.
  • JayZ1488
    Options

Fat grams = 9 calories

But I guess I can calculate up the ounces from the food I had and any remaining water weight can be removed by sauna use. I love the sauna and I know it's not for weight lose it it sure helps me shred pounds of water off!
  • ziggy2006
    Options

Sorry, that wasn't as clear as I'd like.

The weight of a food is not the sole factor in determining the caloric value of the food. A pound of food does not always have a value of 3,500 calories, so an ounce of every food does not have a value of 219 calories.

You are confusing the idea that losing a pound of fat requires a caloric deficit of 3,500 calories with the caloric value of various foods.

Weighing foods is necessary to determine the caloric value of the food you consume, but it is not based on a pound of every food having a value of 3,500 calories.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Fat grams = 9 calories

But I guess I can calculate up the ounces from the food I had and any remaining water weight can be removed by sauna use. I love the sauna and I know it's not for weight lose it it sure helps me shred pounds of water off!

The best way to get rid of water weight is to drink more water. It stops your body holding on to it as much.

The sauna will dehydrate you.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    I'm good with my deficit, as I've been on this diet for a while, I've been under my deficit for months even yesterday, valentines I was still under. My question is with the ounces. Let's just say I eat 2000 cal today and I burned let's say 600 cal. Technically I would've only in 1400 cal for the day but on the scale it could look like I gained 3 to 5 pounds. Like many people have said its water mostly but I get upset when I've been under and it says I've gained :/

Do you think it is possible for you to have really gained 3 to 5 pounds if you are truly eating in a deficit?

If so, how do you think that happened?

If not, why are you letting what the scale reads upset you?

I am also confused as to exactly what your question is regarding ounces. In your first post, you state that you have a question about ounces, but the only question you ask is whether an ounce is equivalent to 218 calories. Since losing a pound of fat requires a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories, then losing an ounce of fat would require a deficit of about 1/16 of 3,500, or 219 calories. In this post, you state that you have a question about ounces, but then give a hypothetical situation about eating in a calorie deficit and the scale showing a gain of 3 to 5 pounds. What is your specific question regarding ounces?

Hey how are you, thanks for the reply.
    I have a few questions.

In regards to ounces, how do I get rid of them? I feel uncomfortable and upset even if I eat good food like lettuce, apples, bananas and more, they way a lot in water and I hate feeling bloated or see that I gained.
    1. How do we lose all this weight? I know people say we are like cars and burn it off but what does it rally just float away? Or do we just have to wait until it's bathroom time?

2. Is it mostly water weight, if so a long trip to the sauna sounds good followed up by my regular cardio and weight lifting routine.
  • JayZ1488
    Options

Fat grams = 9 calories

The best way to get rid of water weight is to drink more water. It stops your body holding on to it as much.

The sauna will dehydrate you.

I disagree and agree. I do drink plenty of water. But eve trine I get in the sauna, I can lose Anywere from 1/6pounds. I use to wrestle and train with MMA fighters. A quick and easy way to drop water weight was the sauna, you just have to do it right, keep yourself replenished and make sure you you don't hurt yourself.
  • ziggy2006
    Options

In regards to ounces, how do I get rid of them? I feel uncomfortable and upset even if I eat good food like lettuce, apples, bananas and more, they way a lot in water and I hate feeling bloated or see that I gained.
    1. How do we lose all this weight? I know people say we are like cars and burn it off but what does it rally just float away? Or do we just have to wait until it's bathroom time?

2. Is it mostly water weight, if so a long trip to the sauna sounds good followed up by my regular cardio and weight lifting routine.

Ounces are just sixteenths of pounds. You get rid of them in the same way that you get rid of pounds, via a caloric deficit.

The caloric energy in food is metabolized to support your daily activity, and excess calories are stored as fat. The remaining weight of food is excreted through stool and urine.

Water weight is lost through excretion (sweat, urine, etc.). When you are in a caloric deficit, fat is converted to energy and ultimately is both excreted as water and exhaled as carbon dioxide.

• JayZ1488
    Options

The weight of a food is not the sole factor in determining the caloric value of the food. A pound of food does not always have a value of 3,500 calories, so an ounce of every food does not have a value of 219 calories.

You are confusing the idea that losing a pound of fat requires a caloric deficit of 3,500 calories with the caloric value of various foods.

Weighing foods is necessary to determine the caloric value of the food you consume, but it is not based on a pound of every food having a value of 3,500 calories.

I'm not confusing the calories. I know foods are not all equal in calories.

For instance a pound of lettuce is 63 calories. Ok sure it's only 63 calories, and let's say for argument sake I ate it all plain. I may have only consumed 63 calories but I also just ate a pound of food. That pound is still in me and it won't come out as quickly as burning 63 calories off. Hell I can burn 4xs that and would still feel heavy and bloated.
  • JayZ1488
    Options

Ounces are just sixteenths of pounds. You get rid of them in the same way that you get rid of pounds, via a caloric deficit.

The caloric energy in food is metabolized to support your daily activity, and excess calories are stored as fat. The remaining weight of food is excreted through stool and urine.

Water weight is lost through excretion (sweat, urine, etc.). When you are in a caloric deficit, fat is converted to energy and ultimately is both excreted as water and exhaled as carbon dioxide.

I've changed a lot about my diet. I know you can eat anything but it has to be in moderation and under you calorie deficit. Right now in my life I've decided to give up on certain things like candy, cookies, ice cream and just certain things I'm going to give a. Real on! I've been eating more fruit and veggies and lots more yogurt and leafy greens but I feel going to the bathroom isn't as fast as it use to be. Instead of once every morning. Sometimes I don't go for days?
  • ziggy2006
    Options
    For instance a pound of lettuce is 63 calories. Ok sure it's only 63 calories, and let's say for argument sake I ate it all plain. I may have only consumed 63 calories but I also just ate a pound of food. That pound is still in me and it won't come out as quickly as burning 63 calories off. Hell I can burn 4xs that and would still feel heavy and bloated.

If you don't like consuming a large volume of food, just increase your consumption of calorie dense foods to reach your calorie goals.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Fat grams = 9 calories

And then as soon as you drink water, which you need to do to live, those pounds come right back. Why bother?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about the actual scale weight of food and water affecting your weight? Those are temporary and will always fluctuate up and down forever. The reason to weigh food is to get an accurate calorie count, not so you know how much you'll weigh immediately upon eating it. That's not even--i don't know how to respond to that. It's silly.

• JayZ1488
    Options

Fat grams = 9 calories

And then as soon as you drink water, which you need to do to live, those pounds come right back. Why bother?

I know water weight fluxiates so much but why bother? Because the benefits are so much more worth it to me. I use the sauna for meditation and relaxation. The weight lose is just a plus. I can lose 1/6 pounds easy. For instance my gym routine today was from 8am - 11am
    20 mins sauna
    45 mins cardio
    15 mins sauna
    30 mins weights
    15 mins sauna
    20 mins cardio
    10 mins sauna
    I made sure to replenish myself with water but still dropped more then what I drank.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    When we talk about 'weight loss', what we actually mean is 'fat loss'. That's what makes your body look better. The actual weight of the food inside you, and water weight, don't matter unless you're trying to fit into a certain category for a competition. Stop weighing yourself every day, you're clearly obsessing over the scale.