fast metabolism weight gaining????

Options
So I have been training for 8 months now. And gained a total of 40+ lbs. My goal is 180, maybe 200, I am 175 right now. I used to work a hard labor job and consumed over 4600 calories a day and still saw no Gaines until I stopped working the job and ate 4000. I felt I was still over eating due to my fat gain went over board, so i decided to check this app out. The app is telling me to eat 3500 calories. My question is, because I have a high metabolis, should i shoot for a little more than the 3500?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism isn't high, your tdee is high. Just set a general caloric surplus and see if you gain weight. Adjust weekly as needed
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My metabolism is very high. I'm eating 6-8 meals a day and *kitten* 6 times a day. my stomach begins to growl as I'm eatin. Do to my construction job i am used to eating 4k-4600 cal a day. Now that I don't work construction anymore, I need to find my new caloric intake to gain weight. I'm just worried on how accurate these tdees are?? Should I trust the 3500 cal my tdee is telling me to eat or do I need to eat more due to my fast metabolism? the best way is to find out for myself, but I have goals in mindand will like to reach my goals asap to make new goals. Thank you for the response! And I appreciate all advice
  • kingkam21
    Options
    Eat 6-8 meals a day and poop 6 times a day. Can't say cuss words? Interesting
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You've gained 40lbs+ in 8 months and got fat.

Regardless of how high you think your metabolism is, you've ate far too much.

Depending on your goals, your best course of action might be to eat less, count your calories and lose the fat you've gained.

Follow this is up with a slight calorie surplus and look at gaining around 2lb per month. Of course I'm assuming your goals are to gain lean mass.
  • gottaBswole
    gottaBswole Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok no offense kingkam, but I think you're jumping the gun on telling they dude he's ate far too much....'too much" is extremely a very subjective term to be tossing around in this game. We all have unique bodies and no two people burn off or use a surplus of calories the same way.

This isn't just me talking out my *kitten* either, I'm also a very hard gainer and it has taken some pretty meticulous tracking scrutinizing of my daily cals, macros, and training expenditure, before I was able to find a meal plan that worked to finally put some weight on me. As far as the MFP recommendation, take them with a grain of salt....or maybe dump truck load of salt, because that's just an computer generated program that goes off of the general population. It's a good way to get your toes wet but if you wanna really see results then pay no attention to what MFP tells you you should be eating for your goals. Try eating 3000 cals a day for one week consistently. Track EVERYThing, and weigh daily (as long as you wont let the numbers mess with your heaed). Find what it takes for you to maintain your weight with you current life circumstances and then adjust for exercise and what not from there.

I live pretty a pretty sedentary lifestyle during the winter months. The most intense thing I do is the occasional hike through the trails in the snow. Other then that it's just eat, eat some more, train, train harder and repeat.....I started off at 2700 calories daily with absolutely no cardio and was still hovering around the same weight or even loose some. If I'd have one of those weeks where I know I'll be spending calories doing outdoor rec and what not, I stick to my meal plan but will supplement it with a high calorie (1000+ mass builder shake)

I slowly added 200 calories from 2700 every week until I started seeing the scale go up. 3200-3500 calories was the verdict. It wasn't until I started utilizing that "magic" number that I was able to start seeing the strength/mass gains.

For me (and probably most hard gainers with fast metabolisms) I think consistency is key especially with diet. You need to know what calories from what macro's seem to "stick" and which ones seem to just go pass right through. Adequate protein is obviously very important, as are (healthy) fats, and carbs...Only you can decide how your body handles your diet. I wouldn't be too afraid to try eating what MFP recommended, It's not like you'll be starving your self eating 3000 plus cal, but if you really burn em up that quick and are loosing more then 2 lbs a week, I'd add some lean protein and Low GI carbs to the mix until you find yourself loosing a consistent weight weekly preferably under 2lbs to prevent muscle atrophy....don't be afraid to hit the iron during this whole process too, last thing you wanna do is shred your fat to realize you muscle mass took a heavy hit as well. Skin and bones are probably even less appealing IMO than some giggly dead weight.

Well that's my 2 cents and that's all the change I got so you can do what you want with it, I'm only speaking of what has worked me in my past attempts with cutting/bulking with a fast metabolism. Feel free to add me bro, I'm looking for guys on here with similar goals and challenges.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    it will take you 2-3 weeks to find out YOUR tdee. Eat 3500 every day, (weigh and measure everything), weigh yourself every day and keep exercise to a minimum to not mess up your numbers. Or, spend time working out exactly what your burns are during exercise and eat them back.

weigh yourself very day, average every 7, then plt on a graph. Watch the weekly trend.

Scoobys calculator is the closest I've seen to correct numbers.

High metabolism is a myth. You just have a very active life, are tall and young. Having more muscle will give you a slightly higher burn, but not that much.

Hard gainers are usually very active and fidgety, always on the move, never still. Call that fast metabolism if you will, but theres your explanation.
  • kingkam21
    Options
    Thank you all for the response
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    As pointed out a high TDEE =/= high metabolism it means you worked a lot but if your stomach is growling while you eat that's not a sign of hunger it's a sign of gas and bloating and you might want to see a doctor about your digestive issues because I'm guessing you have a few. Figure out your TDEE and eat above it, it's not that hard and if your activity level is really high then you have to eat even more or sit more during your down time; there isn't any magic,it's just the same as people that need to lose weight but only you are going in the opposite direction.

Good luck meeting your goals.