Sensitivity to almond milk?

Options
Recently I have begun to drink almond milk, at least on cereal. I really love it. But in a similar timeframe, I began having a somewhat chronic digestive issue keeping me in the bathroom frequently. My husband suggested that the almond milk might be the issue. I stopped drinking it, and the problem seemed to resolve in about 3 days.

I have no nut allergies to my knowledge. I plan to test it again, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this? It took me by surprise.

Replies

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Anyone can be allergic to anything, and can develop that allergy at any time. Until you get tested just be careful as increased exposure to an allergen can make symptoms worse or even deadly.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    could be something in it also. I cant drink/eat anything made by the silk brand I have the same issue but can drink most of the other brands and have no issue.not all almond milks have all the same ingredients. so you an either try a different brand(make a not of what the one you were using has in it that is different) or you can find another milk alternative,they have soy,hemp,coconut,cashew,rice and possibly more.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My stomach gets a little funky if I have more than 2 cups of almond milk in a day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people report sensitivity to carrenegan, a seaweed that is commonly added to plant milks. It might be worth checking to see if it is in your almond milk and if you have the same issues when you have a plant milk without carrenegan.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Some people report sensitivity to carrenegan, a seaweed that is commonly added to plant milks. It might be worth checking to see if it is in your almond milk and if you have the same issues when you have a plant milk without carrenegan.
    While researching the issue, I read about this too. What is interesting, however, is that the brand I currently have is Silk, and it does not contain this ingredient. My first purchase was the Blue Diamond brand, which does have this ingredient, and I don't recall having trouble while using that brand. I see that CharlieBeansmomTracey also has trouble with Silk. I think I will switch back to Blue Diamond and see how it goes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    While researching the issue, I read about this too. What is interesting, however, is that the brand I currently have is Silk, and it does not contain this ingredient. My first purchase was the Blue Diamond brand, which does have this ingredient, and I don't recall having trouble while using that brand. I see that CharlieBeansmomTracey also has trouble with Silk. I think I will switch back to Blue Diamond and see how it goes.

Weird. Well, that was my best guess -- but it sounds like you have some good leads. Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

yes,for me its the locust bean gum in the products. I used to get to the point where my throat would start to close up but now it just gives me stomach and bowel issues. blue diamond I have no issues with though.or most other brands,its the same with a lot of yogurts(or other "dairy". if the locust bean gum is almost last on the list then Im fine. but if its higher on the list then I have issues
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'd second checking out the gums. I'm a celiac, and a lot of gluten free products have extra added gums to help them have a better texture, but some of my family wasn't able to tolerate it and we started researching.

Turns out, a certain percentage of the population tends to have trouble with a variety of commonly used man-made thickeners, especially gums. Carrageenan, locust bean gum, and xanthan gum seemed to be the most likely to cause issues, from what I've read.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Could indeed be a nut allergy.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I thought I would follow up. Threw out the Silk and bought Blue Diamond again. No problems. Apparently I am not bothered by carrageenan. Blue Diamond also has locust bean gum, but less of it, and so far, I do fine with it. Glad I did not have to give up almond milk altogether.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I thought I would follow up. Threw out the Silk and bought Blue Diamond again. No problems. Apparently I am not bothered by carrageenan. Blue Diamond also has locust bean gum, but less of it, and so far, I do fine with it. Glad I did not have to give up almond milk altogether.

hmm they must have just added the locust bean gum,it wasnt in it before. glad you mentioned it