Soup Diet

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love soup. In winter we have a lot of soup. It's yummy and filling. But I couldn't build a diet around it. Including it, sure.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Love soups, so easy to grab and go for lunches! I've been meaning to make a baked "potato" cauliflower soup too.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big soup eater so would really struggle to base weeks on end around it. Would certainly make for some more convenient lunches if I liked them more. Same thing with sandwiches, never really fancy one. I bore easily too so need lots and lots of variety, hence why moderation works for me. I may or may not have just satisfied a shark week craving by having a bar of chocolate for lunch...........
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Life's too short to eat the same thing all the time.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Soup can be an awesome way of getting in some great nutrients. I eat soup quite often in the winter months. My favorite is my mom's Turkey Bone soup (from scratch). I swear that stuff can cure a cold in a day.

That being said, the amount of sodium in soup isn't for everyone. I always notice a temporary water weight gain the day after eating a bowl or two.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    @SiriusVilla - I'd look at your protein intake - a diet focused on soup will generally result in missing on protein needs. You seem to have a few very low protein days - keep an eye on that.

Yep this was my first thought as well.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Life's too short to eat the same thing all the time.

There's a world of soups out there. How about cucumber and apple soup? Or a tomato and egg soup?
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For a while I really enjoyed chunky soups for lunch - quick, filling and tasty. I didn't call it a "diet" though, just lunch.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love Korean soups and stews. Spicy and full-flavored. I go sans rice with mine as they are so filling as is.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not sure why I haven't read more of this. My diet has consisted of having a lot of soup and it has been working out well. Simple vegetable soups with carrots, onions, zucchini, squash, etc. .low in calories and delicious. It's been working for me. More should give this a try.

I have a question. How much weight dos you lose and in how long.

I was thinking about a soup and jello and Protein shake diet. The soups are a variety of flavor from progresso. The soups are creamy chunky lite and all are 200-250 calories a can.
    5 cans of soup a day
    2 zero carb 25g Protein shakes 105 calories a shake
    And 2 packs of sugar free 10 calorie jello.
    80 calories
    And a fruit granola fat free yougurt parfait which I weigh and make 250 calories
    So total my calorie in take would be roughly 1750 a day.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Agree on liking soup. Agree on sodium, which is why I don't often buy or order soups. I do make them, so I can control the seasonings and whatnots; and I can also turn them into quickie sauces.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    Not sure why I haven't read more of this. My diet has consisted of having a lot of soup and it has been working out well. Simple vegetable soups with carrots, onions, zucchini, squash, etc. .low in calories and delicious. It's been working for me. More should give this a try.

I was thinking about a soup and jello and Protein shake diet. The soups are a variety of flavor from progresso. The soups are creamy chunky lite and all are 200-250 calories a can.
    5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories
    And a fruit granola fat free yougurt parfait which I weigh and make 250 calories

This sounds terrible and unnecessary. 5 cans of soup a day!? I'd be sick of the sight of soup by the end of day one.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a cup and a half of roasted red pepper tomato soup almost every day at work. I mix in about 1.5 oz of cheddar cheese so it gets all melty. Mmmm. So good. I eat it because I really enjoy it, though. Not because I'm on a soup diet.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories

This sounds terrible and unnecessary. 5 cans of soup a day!? I'd be sick of the sight of soup by the end of day one.

+1. Also you'd probably be consuming a truckload of sodium per day which may backfire on you due to possible water retention.
  • JayZ1488
    edited February 2016
    Options

5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories

Well that's just your opinion. I'm liking it and the weights coming off. Thanks for the reply!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories

Well that's just your opinion. I'm liking it and the weights coming off. Thanks for the reply!

I'm confused. You said in your post today you were thinking about this diet. Now you're already on it and seeing results?
  • JayZ1488
    edited February 2016
    Options

5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories

I'm confused. You said in your post today you were thinking about this diet. Now you're already on it and seeing results?

I am interested in starting this new diet. I have been on soup diets before and have lost weight. I was curious on others out comes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love soup/stews/curries this time of year. I'm making this right now: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5593-chicken-and-apricot-masala

I halved the recipe and added 1/2 cup of dried lentils.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories

I am interested in starting this new diet. I have been on soup diets before and have lost weight. I was curious on others out comes!

Losing weight is only part of the battle. Keeping it off is the other issue. Doesn't seem like this diet is conducive to maintaining.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

5 cans of soup a day
    80 calories

When you put that in your diary, how much carbs, fat, protein, and sodium do you get?