weight raw or cooked?

Options
I hadn't realised how much water weight a potato would lose in baking. I guess I log weight as eaten, not before baking?

Replies

• LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Raw. Always. Everything.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    Raw. Always. Everything.

This
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Let's say it's a baked potato and you choose not to eat the skin I personally would just weigh whole potato, bake it, eat it and then reweigh the skin after consumption and subtract that many grams from the original weight and log that total. That is purely a personal preference and I am sure others have different ones. But if you're peeling the potatoes I would weigh it raw after (you peel it ) , your not eating or baking the skin.

Or let's say you're in a position where someone else has cooked the food for you. There are entries for cooked meat, veggies, ect. I would do my best to find out what they put in it and method of cooking then weigh and log the best I could using weight for solids and cups and spoons for most liquids... again personal preference.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Most entries are for raw in the db. But if you have nutritional data for cooked things, then use cooked weight.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    OK. Thanks.