Need some guidance on how to track weights lifted...

I'm performing strength training at a local gym in a group class. Obviously, we vary what we do from workout to workout. Today, we warmed up with squats, completed 5 x 3 sets squats @30 lbs with a bar. Then we did bulgarian split squats with a weighted bulgarian bag, about 15 lbs. Most of the time, I have no idea how to log this info into MFP, particularly when the workout splits cardio with strength training.

What is the best way to track this in MFP? Squats with bar or split squats are not in the database. Does this matter?
Why does the MFP strength training section not track calories burned? I'm unclear of the science behind this approach.

Thanks!

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    1 - If the exercise you are looking for isn't there, add it yourself. that's what I do.

2 - Long answer short - it's rather difficult to track strength training calories burned because it creates a burn that last longer than just when you are lifting. There's a calculator on Live Strong's website I use as a BASIC IDEA of what I burn solely for the time I am lifting.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    I use the Fitocracy app to list my strength training and just write that it was a strength training day in my exercise notes on MFP
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    I use a notebook to write down all of my workouts. There are more technology-savvy ways to do so, but I like this method the best.